Guitarists ?

Wotty

One Overlooked Player is...Matthias Jabs...I was remined of this by Pete

who stated it in the "Solo Of The Day" thread..Matthias goes crazy on Blackout..

His tone and Phrasing are outstanding and he has some Serious Chops...

His tone is also a lot different than most people, it's not the classic "warm" tone, but it's really cool! :banger:

I agree on both counts. I've always enjoyed his skill.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KIRK HAMMETT. Remind me, what does this guy do?

Backed, amazing how many people think he is the shit. <_<

Kirk is not a horrible player, but he's certainly not the best...

and he has a tone that is almost as bad as CC Deville's.

It think for his genre he's played some great leads over the years but he seems to over shadow other better players from the Thrash genre such as Alex Skolnick, Marty Friedman, Chris Poland and others.

marty friedman died when he entered boringdeath.....he prefered to be a puppy instead of the child saint of vixen hawaii...how's that for cacophony! aloha!

I personally dont think there is such a thing as an overrated guitarist, as its all just a matter of taste.

I mean, I personally think Hendrix is overrated, but thats more as an overall artist rather than specifically a guitarist, but there are millions out there who disagree with me.

I do though, think there are many many many underrated guitarists:

Andy Timmons

Reb Beach

Mick Mars

Rich Ward

Luke Morley

Lita Ford

Warren DiMartini

Richie Sambora

Bruce and Bob Kulick

Derek Frigo

Steve Stevens

The list can go on forever.

At the end of the day tho, I dont care how technically proficent a guitarist is, its how a guitarist sounds and what reaction it stirs in me that matters.

You can get the most technical guy in the world, and they might bore me to tears, but a guy who isnt that great (like CC Deville for instance), just hooks me with his energy.

I remember Mick Mars once saying that people will complain to him that what he is doing isnt technically correct, and he just answers "Who cares if its technically correct, as long as it sounds good?"

One Overlooked Player is...Matthias Jabs...I was remined of this by Pete

who stated it in the "Solo Of The Day" thread..Matthias goes crazy on Blackout..

His tone and Phrasing are outstanding and he has some Serious Chops...

Great player, especially live :tumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
I do though, think there are many many many underrated guitarists:

Warren DiMartini

How many times we've seen and read in articles that Warren DeMartini is "UNDERRATED". I've read countless of articles praising his style and so called "technique". He's not that 'UNDERRATED" anymore. IMO, he's nowhere as good as his partner Robbin Crosby,

KIRK HAMMETT. Remind me, what does this guy do?

Backed, amazing how many people think he is the shit. <_<

Kirk is not a horrible player, but he's certainly not the best...

and he has a tone that is almost as bad as CC Deville's.

It think for his genre he's played some great leads over the years but he seems to over shadow other better players from the Thrash genre such as Alex Skolnick, Marty Friedman, Chris Poland and others.

marty friedman died when he entered boringdeath.....he prefered to be a puppy instead of the child saint of vixen hawaii...how's that for cacophony! aloha!

I disagree totally. Friedman is an astonishing technician, and I think he actually made Mustaine step-up when he joined as he didn't want to be embarrassed by some kid. Megadeth delivered some of the best albums of their career with Friedman, and when he left they made some seriously bad albums. I'd say it was a good career move too as hardly anyone would know who he was if he hadn't joined Megadeth....

• 2023 Gold Donors
Who have you raved about,after hearing on record,then seen "Live" and realised they were shite.And who's the most underrated guitarist,not necessarily rock,in your opinion ????????

A couple that come to mind.....

(I'll probably get beat severely for this one): Eddie Van Halen! :yikes:

I saw Van Halen on their first nationwide tour (in support of Black Sabbath) & I hadn't seen before, nor afterwards, any guitarist f*ck with their equipment as much as Eddie did! Not just for the first song & after the lengthy soundcheck, too, but for the first four or five songs into their set! I guess after all the foolin' around he finally achieved the sound he was wantin'. If it hadn't been for that rather notable distraction & some extraordinary playin' from :banger: Geezer & Bill Ward :banger: , VH came pretty damn close to showin' up Sabbath! :whistle:

Another concert with an exceptionally good guitarist who I'd been listenin' to for years was Pete Haycock w/ The Climax Blues Band. Unfortunately, the d#*co fad had taken ahold of some bands in the later part of the 70's & it struck this band severely! I've only seen/experienced one other band gettin' boo'ed, ridiculed, & verbally thrashed worse while they were performin' on stage than CBB that night.

Warning: FLASHBACK ALERT! If anyone remembers the song 'Couldn't Get It Right' from said band, then imagine that bein' played live & w/ 20,000 screamin' & most likely high fans, too! BTW, they were the opener for Ted Nugent on the 'Gonzo' tour, not a good idea to book these two on the same bill, especially when CBB did d#*co versions of every song! :hammer: