Opinions Needed...

LV KIX

I need some honest opinions from you all (I know you all are good at that). My brother-in-law hasn't played out in a band for a few years. He finally broke his guitar out and got a band together after searching for about 5 months to find people interested in what he wanted to play. He said it was slim pickins as far as trying to find a bass player and vocalist. He had never had a female vocalist before but he said most people wanna play crap these days... so he went with a female. They have now played 3 shows with fair crowd turn out. He asked me what I thought of the band he was able to put together.

If any of you have time... check it out and let me know if you think there is any potential at all. If you do watch, watch at least a minute or two of each clip. One is a song sang originally by a female (Pat Benetar) and the other by a male Black Sabbath (DIO). These clips are from the very first show.

Any opinion is welcome... both bad and good. Also...any advice appreciated.

Thanks Alot...

I need some honest opinions from you all (I know you all are good at that). My brother-in-law hasn't played out in a band for a few years. He finally broke his guitar out and got a band together after searching for about 5 months to find people interested in what he wanted to play. He said it was slim pickins as far as trying to find a bass player and vocalist. He had never had a female vocalist before but he said most people wanna play crap these days... so he went with a female. They have now played 3 shows with fair crowd turn out. He asked me what I thought of the band he was able to put together.

If any of you have time... check it out and let me know if you think there is any potential at all. If you do watch, watch at least a minute or two of each clip. One is a song sang originally by a female (Pat Benetar) and the other by a male Black Sabbath (DIO). These clips are from the very first show.

Any opinion is welcome... both bad and good. Also...any advice appreciated.

Thanks Alot...

Guess I should add that this band doesn't expect to play the Boston Garden, make a fortune, or record a gold album. It strictly for a hobby and the joy of playing live. Interestingly enough, they have booked 10 shows between now and the end of Feb. at 6 different venues.

Must admit, I thought both tracks were great.

If I went to a bar and some them playing I`d be well impressed.

The guitarist nailed pretty much all of Heaven And Hell.

The vocalist sounded better on Promises In The Dark (Pat Benatar).

Very good IMO but what do I know :lol:

Pretty damned good, especially for a first show Dave. 'Promises In The Dark' is one of my Fave Pat Benatar tunes (and not an easy vocal to do) and they did a good job of it. The Sabbath tune was alright - not an easy one to do, but they did it ok. I found them both to be a little 'by the numbers', a common problem I hear when listening to covers bands. I find that quite a few bands concentrate on getting the song note for note instead of injecting a bit of their own 'style' into it, and generally lose the feel. Once they have played together for a while longer I am sure that everything will flow alot better as they can all obviously play well. As Faron said above, I would be more than happy to sit and listen to them for the evening if I happened to walk in the bar and I was pretty impressed generally. :tumbsup:

Well, dammit I tried responding earlier but I got booted out of here. Basically I was saying the same thing Jez said though. Once they loosen up and get comfortable together they're gonna be great. And, as you said, they're not trying to get a deal, be the "next big thing" or anything like that, it's just for fun. I saw they had a couple more songs up there and I checked out "Walking On Sunshine" also. Not bad at all.

I'll fall in with Dave and Jez's opinions, and add that they overall sound like they've got a pretty good groove and already sound pretty tight, especially for the first gig. "Walk Away" rocked IMHO btw... :banger:

...although I was hoping it would be the one from the Heaven & Hell album... ;)

Wow!

I'm impressed!

If that was their first show, they could only get better :tumbsup: Will they be working on originals?

I also liked what they did with BILLIE JEAN (Me not being a M.J. fan).

The guy doing the video should be fired :thppt:

I was never really a cover band person until a couple of years back.

I would like to hear more LV!

Pretty damn good. Nice range on the singer. I'll agree with Jez on the "by-the-numbers" thing. A little improvisation wouldn't hurt. Nice job though. Good thing is they can only get better with time.