AI generated music… is this where we’re heading?

• 2024 Gold Donors
2 hours ago, Geoff said:

It’s weird that you can’t seem to have it all just yet. I heard about another one called Mureka AI which seems to have it all, on paper. Has some top line vocal options, but when it comes down to the song creation, it’s awful. Udio, I believe, also has better vocal options, but I don’t like the results there either. 

Whereas Suno is pretty awesome at a lot of other stuff, but the vocals still sound very AI. Male vocals, anyway. And it’s a minefield to change a lyric… 

Never heard of Mureka, I might check it out. 

1 hour ago, Darkstone said:

Never heard of Mureka, I might check it out. 

Yeah I only heard about it on Thursday. Seems similar to Suno except maybe even more exciting (you can post a YouTube link to reference song). You can pick a vocalist too, and some really good ones. Lots of prompt options too. The whole lead up is so promising, but the result was really, really disappointing. I’m sure more time would get you better results, but I went right back to Suno. 

Let me know if you have any success and if I need to give it another go. 😏

3 hours ago, Darkstone said:

Darkstone - Losing You Again (2024)   ;)

Here's 3 versions of song number 8.

The first line of the chorus came to me a couple of days ago, but this is the first time I've had a chance to write stuff around it. There's a couple of different bridges. 

https://suno.com/song/040c346f-3e9e-4cfe-9195-ebe9af35abe4

https://suno.com/song/cfd9fc35-7f77-445a-8b7f-58346360332d

https://suno.com/song/4edf4f05-c4bb-40dc-a7d2-9b0b879ba781

Nice. #2 for me. I like #3 too, but #2 has my favourite "vibe."

It's funny, I don't even know what "coptic" metal is, lol, but maybe I should use it in my prompts too. :)

• 2024 Gold Donors
7 hours ago, Geoff said:

Nice. #2 for me. I like #3 too, but #2 has my favourite "vibe."

It's funny, I don't even know what "coptic" metal is, lol, but maybe I should use it in my prompts too. :)

Yeah, it's number two for me as well.

I'll keep one version of each track for "book one", then I reckon my follow up album (it sounds stupid to even say that) will be something like "DARKSTONE - book two The Alternate Versions".

On the Suno "explore" page they have a huge list of styles you can select from.

Click on any style and you'll hear a sample.

"Dark Coptic" caught my eye. Coptic is the name of the Egyptian Christian Religion. I had a listen and it was very dark and very weird. It almost sounded Demonic, like a track being played backwards. I thought I'd try it just to see how weird it would sound, but it gave me great results.

I also seem to get great results with Goth Rock or Goth Metal.

Edited by Darkstone

• 2024 Gold Donors
Just now, Glen said:

if you're not writing your own lyrics you should use ChatGPT. So much better. 

I wouldn't even think about doing it now without writing my own lyrics. It's so much more satisfying. 

Giving the AI a description of the lyrics you want was fine at the start, but I want to contribute more now and I'll always have those lyrics to use on different platforms in the future when better sites start emerging. 

4 hours ago, Darkstone said:

Yeah, it's number two for me as well.

I'll keep one version of each track for "book one", then I reckon my follow up album (it sounds stupid to even say that) will be something like "DARKSTONE - book two The Alternate Versions".

On the Suno "explore" page they have a huge list of styles you can select from.

Click on any style and you'll hear a sample.

"Dark Coptic" caught my eye. Coptic is the name of the Egyptian Christian Religion. I had a listen and it was very dark and very weird. It almost sounded Demonic, like a track being played backwards. I thought I'd try it just to see how weird it would sound, but it gave me great results.

I also seem to get great results with Goth Rock or Goth Metal.

Yeah, I noticed you using goth a bit too, but the results not sounding overly goth the way I imagine it, but actually providing a pretty cool result. I might even plug it in soon for a test. 

Haha, I like the idea of your part II album. I am generally trying to keep one version of each song so that becomes "the" song, but I do have a couple of versions of some of the ones that were too good to dismiss. 

All that said, I am no covering all my tunes to get a licensable version. Having a lot of issues, lol, but the process is on. 

I wouldn't even think about doing it now without writing my own lyrics. It's so much more satisfying. 

Giving the AI a description of the lyrics you want was fine at the start, but I want to contribute more now and I'll always have those lyrics to use on different platforms in the future when better sites start emerging. 

Yeah, when I discovered the site I put in a few AI lyrics but that only gave me a few minutes of joy as I had no connection to the songs. I don't know if I mentioned it in my first post in this thread, but that's why I played with Suno initially, and then forgot about it for months, until I came back when I saw you could use your own lyrics. 

Most videos you see on youtube are all with people using AI lyrics and that is totally cool for whatever people enjoy, but I'm the same, mate, if I'm not using my own lyrics the longevity isn't there for me at all. As terrible as they are, lol, all my songs are of personal relevance to me - those older ones, I regret to say, too, lol. Not to say each song is based squarely on my life, but even the random fictitious and/or embellished ones are from my own stupid mind. The writing lyrics and seeing the song come to life is what I get a kick out of most with this whole thing. 

• Like 2

I get that and I've done that too. But I also like creating an anthem which I feel could chart. 

For example this. Tried to create a boy band like song but with a rap and street urban styled - I love it and lyrics are great. 

https://suno.com/song/f726cc65-11c3-48d0-a1b5-ecdeb748f63e

• Like 1

On 10/21/2024 at 9:20 AM, Glen said:

I get that and I've done that too. But I also like creating an anthem which I feel could chart. 

For example this. Tried to create a boy band like song but with a rap and street urban styled - I love it and lyrics are great. 

Haha, that's good fun. Still has that sort of electronic/dance rock vibe anyway. 

I'm all about trying to create anthems too, lol... but I like to take the task on myself. Sometimes I try just to write a song purely based on a big (allegedly) catchy hook, but much to my surprise, lol, it's not as easy as it seems. But I like to try anyway. 

Is that one all AI lyrics? I had a few raps songs I wrote back in the day which I turned into rap metal songs with Suno. I get a kick out of them, but the lyrics are pretty fucked up. So fucked up, in fact, that Suno actually refused to create one of the songs. Haha. That was different. But yeah, it was fun to play around with that, but I'm still solely focused on making tunes within rock genres, that are still really catchy. But it isn't easy. ;)

I feel nude coming in here without a tune, so this is my favourite from yesterday's workings. Where I'm at at the moment is going through all my tunes so far and getting a licensable version. Even if 90% of them I'll never need/want a license. But anyway, I want usable versions of all the tunes. In the process, I found about a dozen songs I didn't have a kept version of, so I've been going through those and re-working some of the lyrics to get a usable version. So this is one of my tunes from 2000, but with slightly tweaked lyrics so I can enjoy it more, lol;

https://suno.com/song/84c95845-9495-404b-b27e-4411a1cb291c

• Like 1

• 2024 Gold Donors
19 hours ago, Geoff said:

Haha, that's good fun. Still has that sort of electronic/dance rock vibe anyway. 

I'm all about trying to create anthems too, lol... but I like to take the task on myself. Sometimes I try just to write a song purely based on a big (allegedly) catchy hook, but much to my surprise, lol, it's not as easy as it seems. But I like to try anyway. 

Is that one all AI lyrics? I had a few raps songs I wrote back in the day which I turned into rap metal songs with Suno. I get a kick out of them, but the lyrics are pretty fucked up. So fucked up, in fact, that Suno actually refused to create one of the songs. Haha. That was different. But yeah, it was fun to play around with that, but I'm still solely focused on making tunes within rock genres, that are still really catchy. But it isn't easy. ;)

I feel nude coming in here without a tune, so this is my favourite from yesterday's workings. Where I'm at at the moment is going through all my tunes so far and getting a licensable version. Even if 90% of them I'll never need/want a license. But anyway, I want usable versions of all the tunes. In the process, I found about a dozen songs I didn't have a kept version of, so I've been going through those and re-working some of the lyrics to get a usable version. So this is one of my tunes from 2000, but with slightly tweaked lyrics so I can enjoy it more, lol;

https://suno.com/song/84c95845-9495-404b-b27e-4411a1cb291c

That's great mate. Love the thoughtful lyrics. You have a creative spirit.

You've also managed to get the word "telescope" into the chorus. That's a good effort. 

Not as impressive as TOTO getting "Kilimanjaro", "Olympus" and "Serengeti" into the same line, but a good effort. 

Edited by Darkstone
  • Like 1

• 2024 Gold Donors
On 10/21/2024 at 9:20 AM, Glen said:

Nice one mate. You've included some very creative prompts.

I've just started experimenting with being more descriptive with the style prompts.

I might have to give some of yours a go

That's great mate. Love the thoughtful lyrics. You have a creative spirit.

You've also managed to get the word "telescope" into the chorus. That's a good effort. 

Not as impressive as TOTO getting "Kilimanjaro", "Olympus" and "Serengeti" into the same line, but a good effort. 

Haha, thanks mate. Yeah, I must admit that despite the cringe, I do look back at some of these older songs and think here and there that some of the lines/ideas/themes were actually pretty cool. I think I just spread myself a bit too thin. I even kind of see me doing the same thing again with my new tunes, on a much smaller scale. I find myself penning several songs of the same subject, and there may be five or so songs, and each one has something pretty cool about it. But it'd be nice to cram all the good ideas in just one song.  

It's a shame I get so attached to any and all finished products, and that I'm not able to be a bit more ruthless, plucking the best bits from similarly themed songs and creating one I can really dig. But it's hard discarding an otherwise finished song, and there are of course issues with lyrical patterns and melodies not lining up either if I do that. But it would be great if I could condense five good ideas for five songs into one great concept for a great song.

Maybe one day, but for now it's all good fun anyway. 

• 2024 Gold Donors

Didn't get a chance to write anything new over the weekend, but I did manage to refine one of my existing tracks that I wasn't entirely happy with. 

I removed the bridge, which was a bit clunky and added a guitar solo before the final Chorus. 

I tend to focus on melodic ballads, but as with Glen, I really want to write something anthemic. 

I think this one is pretty anthemic. 

It ends abruptly and I have the option of extending it, but I think I like the abrupt ending.

https://suno.com/song/bbe49c71-7dab-4b77-aa7e-9e015b920c73

Edited by Darkstone

Didn't get a chance to write anything new over the weekend, but I did manage to refine one of my existing tracks that I wasn't entirely happy with. 

I removed the bridge, which was a bit clunky and added a guitar solo before the final Chorus. 

I tend to focus on melodic ballads, but as with Glen, I really want to write something anthemic. 

I think this one is pretty anthemic. 

It ends abruptly and I have the option of extending it, but I think I like the abrupt ending.

https://suno.com/song/bbe49c71-7dab-4b77-aa7e-9e015b920c73

Haha, the ending's good. I hate when it pointlessly drags on and you need to clip it yourself. ;)

How are you going with editing songs? When you say you removed the bridge and added a solo, did you use the Replace feature? Or did you do a completely new song with new prompts? 

Man, I am struggling so hard with that Replace feature. Sometimes it works seamlessly, but try changing the lyrics in a pre-chorus or chorus and it just won't have a bar of it. Very frustrating when you have a melody you want to retain but you can't amend the song to your liking because the new feature doesn't play ball. 

This is one I worked on recently and if you have a look and listen, the lyrics at the start of the pre-chorus don't match the song. I will actually (whether I like it or not) live with the lyrics in this version, because no matter how many times I try to get it to sing "The echo inside," it just won't do it. And "living inside" works okay anyway. And I like the tune too much to scrap it. 

If you listen to the full track, check out the ripper guitar solo. I, uh, played, um... it, myself. Of course.  

https://suno.com/song/e0591bf8-6721-46e3-ab8a-22f58b5bc719

• 2024 Gold Donors
6 hours ago, Geoff said:

Haha, the ending's good. I hate when it pointlessly drags on and you need to clip it yourself. ;)

How are you going with editing songs? When you say you removed the bridge and added a solo, did you use the Replace feature? Or did you do a completely new song with new prompts? 

Man, I am struggling so hard with that Replace feature. Sometimes it works seamlessly, but try changing the lyrics in a pre-chorus or chorus and it just won't have a bar of it. Very frustrating when you have a melody you want to retain but you can't amend the song to your liking because the new feature doesn't play ball. 

This is one I worked on recently and if you have a look and listen, the lyrics at the start of the pre-chorus don't match the song. I will actually (whether I like it or not) live with the lyrics in this version, because no matter how many times I try to get it to sing "The echo inside," it just won't do it. And "living inside" works okay anyway. And I like the tune too much to scrap it. 

If you listen to the full track, check out the ripper guitar solo. I, uh, played, um... it, myself. Of course.  

https://suno.com/song/e0591bf8-6721-46e3-ab8a-22f58b5bc719

Nah, I didn't use the replace section feature. I'm still struggling to get that, the crop feature and covers to work properly. It's frustrating. 

With that track it was mainly the bridge I wanted to remove, so I just extended it from where the bridge started. With most extensions it usually adds another chorus after some sort of musical break. I just kept generating until I found one I liked.

Because the bridge was more towards the end of the song I was able to keep the original pretty much as is.

If I wanted to remove a section at the start of a song, I could maybe use the same method. I could choose to extend it from just after the first verse, let's say, then input the lyrics from that point minus the verse or whatever I want removed. That way I can keep the same vocals and basic feel of the track, but it would be different to the original.