Bound For Hell: On The Sunset Strip (New compilation coming October 2022)

whiplash1972

V-A-Bound-For-Hel-On-The-Sunset-Strip-li

Specialty label Numero Group is shining a spotlight on early ‘80s L.A. glam with ”Bound for Hell: On the Sunset Strip”, a fantastic release (October 28th) that takes a deep dive into Strip mainstays that may not be on the tip of your tongue… but should be.

Artists featured include scene heavyweights Black ‘N Blue, Rough Cutt, Armored Saint and Lizzy Borden, alongside long lost tracks from Reddi Killowatt, Angeles, Max Havoc, SIN, Romeo (to name a few) including future members of Ratt, Kix, Autograph, etc. ”Bound For Hell: On The Sunset Strip” also pays particular attention to the female musicians who challenged the testosterone-laden world of the Strip, with entries and recollections from Jaded Lady, Leather Angel, Lisa Baker, Hellion, and Bitch.

The collection includes the previously unreleased very first song written & recorded by Black ‘N Blue in 1981, an unreleased Rough Cutt early song, etc – in fact, many tracks are previously unreleased or impossible to find 7” singles, and with a good remastered sound quality.
There’s as well terrific extensive liner notes from music critic and co-author of Louder Than Hell: The Definitive Oral History of Metal, Katherine Turman, as well as first-hand testimonials, photos and show flyers – all into a 78-page book (full scans) in a similar Rock Candy Magazine fashion.
But wait, we have more: the limited edition comes with a Bonus Cassette, including 5 additional rare tracks!

We all know about Mötley Crüe, Ratt, Quiet Riot, W.A.S.P. and the rest of the US first-wave glam metal bands that launched off the Sunset Strip in the early ‘80s. But how about the less-celebrated rockers that trolled Hollywood at the turn of the decade?

V.A. - Bound For Hell: On The Sunset Strip [Limited Edition + bonus cassette] 2

Said Adam Luksetich, producer and researcher behind the collection, “The infamous Sunset Strip glam metal scene of the ‘80s is one that’s been covered excessively, and for a good reason. But usually, the analysis never goes too far past bands like Mötley Crüe, Poison, Quiet Riot, etc.
Our goal with Bound For Hell was to narrow in on the equally impressive independent or unsigned bands that thrived in that same scene but in most cases, never benefited from the major label feeding frenzy.
With a bounty of unseen photos, pages and pages of flyers, and detailed liner notes, these bands get more time in the spotlight.”

The full color book is impressive, providing the road map of each band featured in full color book.
Amidst those pages, the story of how the scene unfurled, and eventually imploded, is told via first-hand testimonials, show flyers, and hundreds of photos, which come from the lens of acclaimed rock photographer Kevin Estrada. Estrada also serves as co-producer of the boxset.

V.A. - Bound For Hell: On The Sunset Strip [Limited Edition + bonus cassette] 1

It’s really cool to see finally released the very first song written and recorded by Black ‘N Blue in 1981, explains vocalist Jaime St. James. “This is also the year I went from drummer to singer. I’m looking forward to the release of this awesome box set as Numero Group have done a great job with gathering killer, almost lost music from back in the day with fantastic packaging”.

‘Bound for Hell: On the Sunset Strip’ is an excellent deep dive into the early ‘80s Hollywood glam metal scene with unheard music, unseen memorabilia, awesome photos, and more

01 Stormer – Going To the City
02 L.A. Rocks – Cocaine
03 Max Havoc – Bound For Hell
04 Jaded Lady – Rock ‘n’ Roll Ain’t Pretty
05 Steeler – Ready To Explode
06 Lizzy Borden – No Time To Lose
07 Sin – On the Run
08 Black ‘N Blue – Give Em the Old 1, 2, 3
09 Bitch – Damnation Alley
10 Romeo – Feeling To Rock
11 V.V.S.I. – Savage Kind of Girl
12 Hellion – Up From the Depths
13 Angeles – Blade of Steel
14 Knightmare II – Cold Reception
15 Witch – Cinderella (In Black Leather)
16 Reddi Killowatt – Liquid Lady
17 Armored Saint – Lesson Well Learned
18 Leather Angel – We Came To Kill
19 Rough Cutt – Take It or Leave It
20 Lisa Baker – Fool of Lies
21 Odin – Judgement Day

------------------------------

There's a deluxe vinyl/cassette edition (diehard edition) complete with 144 page hard cover book, as well as a simple CD only version (sheer savage edition) available...

Bound For Hell — On The Sunset Strip – Numero Group

• Like 1

Ordered the day I posted (Sept 28) and received the CD yesterday (Oct 04) , so fast shipping!

Gonna throw it in for a listen here directly :tumbsup:

You also receive an email with a link to the album in MP3 form once you order if you don't want to wait to listen. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, whiplash1972 said:

Ordered the day I posted (Sept 28) and received the CD yesterday (Oct 04) , so fast shipping!

You also receive an email with a link to the album in MP3 form once you order if you don't want to wait to listen. 

Now that's quick shipping, wish Australia's Post was that quick

• Like 1

• My Little Pony
On 10/5/2022 at 1:48 PM, whiplash1972 said:

Interested in your thoughts.

On 10/7/2022 at 1:22 AM, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Interested in your thoughts.

First, it should be noted that the tracks from Steeler, Lizzy Borden, Bitch, 
Hellion, Armored Saint, Leather Angel, Rough Cutt, and Odin are all available on previous CD releases from
those bands. I don't care for the Bitch or Odin songs, but the rest are quite enjoyable. 

The majority of tracks on this release are hard rock veering more towards melodic metal with
Black n Blue, Romeo, Reddi Killowatt, Rough Cutt, and Lisa Baker being the "lightest" on offer.

The openers from Stormer and L.A. Rocks are decent, but it's "Bound For Hell" from Max Havoc that really 
kicks things off, along with "Rock n Roll Ain't Pretty" by Jaded Lady which are both quite good!

Sin's "On the Run" is another good hard rocker, followed by the obvious star of this compilation,
Black n Blue's "Give Em the Old 1, 2, 3". It's cool to hear BnB's first song, and it's actually pretty 
damn good for a first effort, with a nice, catchy chorus. 

Romeo's "Feeling to Rock" provides a melodic hard rock break amongst all the metal, and is another 
above average track, followed by VVSI's "Savage Kind of Girl"; another melodic metal winner.

Angeles' "Blade of Steel" is the only cut here which I would say just out and out sucks. Don't like
it..at all. It's followed by several decent, but unremarkable tunes from Knightmare II and Witch.

Reddi Killowatt (who I'd never heard before) deliver a semi funky hard rocker in "Liquid Lady"; 
not bad.

Lisa Baker's "Fool of Lies" is a very good melodic hard rocker, and probably my favorite track here.
Her 4 track EP is available for purchase via MP3 for anyone interested.

https://bleep.com/release/324423-lisa-baker-fool-of-lies?lang=en_us#!

Overall, this compilation is WELL WORTH picking up in my opinion, as it definitely captures the "feel" and "vibe"
emanating from the Sunset Strip in the mid to late 80s. 

• Like 1