Lee Aaron - Radio On!

Stefan

leeaaron-radioon.jpg

From blabbermouth.net:

LEE AARON To Release New Album 'Radio On!' In June

On June 18, award-winning Canadian vocalist Lee Aaron will release "Radio On!", a collection of 12 brand-new originals that invite you to tune into the heartbeat of your personal radio dial and hear the best of what this rock 'n' roll legend has to offer.

Like the FM stations that once ruled the airwaves, "Radio On!" is full of classic, melodic rock hooks, nasty guitar riffs, big harmonies, and inspired songwriting. Themes explored on the album include: mortality ("Radio On", "Twenty One"), materialism ("Devil's Gold"), empowerment ("Vampin'"), addiction ("Wasted"), love ("Cmon", "Had Me At Hello"), and society ("Soul Breaker", "Russian Doll").

Aaron delivers these messages with memorable, soaring melodies and her extraordinary, versatile voice that has remained powerful and consistent throughout her career.

"Radio On!" track listing:

01. Vampin' 
02. Soul Breaker 
03. Cmon 
04. Mama Don't Remember 

05. Radio On 
06. Soho Crawl 
07. Devil's Gold 
08. Russian Doll 
09. Great Big Love 
10. Wasted 
11. Had Me at Hello 
12. Twenty One

Recording lineup:

Lee Aaron - lead vocals 
Sean Kelly - guitars 
Dave Reimer - bass 
John Cody - drums

She was one of the first women in Canada to navigate the male-dominated waters of rock 'n' roll, pioneering the way for a significant number of artists. Her 1989 album, "BodyRock", was proclaimed by Chart magazine as "one of the 20 most influential Canadian albums of the '80s, with artists like Avril Lavigne, Alanis Morissette and Shania Twain under Aaron's influence."

Born in Belleville Ontario, Lee's family relocated to Winnipeg when she was two. Living two doors down from the MacLean family (MacLean & MacLean), Burton Cummings was a frequent visitor and Aaron's earliest musical memories were of the rehearsals and parties that occurred in that Dowling Avenue home throughout much of her early childhood.

Smitten by the music bug, after moving back to Ontario she studied voice and piano as a teenager as well as appearing in numerous musical theatre productions. At 15 she was invited to join a band in the Toronto suburbs. Initially playing saxophone and keys, by 17 she had evolved into the band's lead singer and was discovered by local talent agent the summer she graduated school. Working with Canadian greats from MOXY, SANTERS and Rick Emmett, by 19 she had written and recorded her debut album, 1982's "The Lee Aaron Project".

Between 19 and 21, Aaron weathered a period that she today describes as "painful and embarrassing" in which she was subjected to overtly sexist marketing, exploitive photographs, emotionally uncomfortable stage wear and "being thrown into situations I had neither the self confidence, maturity or life experience to navigate." As a result of this, the song "Metal Queen" was born. A response — not just to her own experience but the entire sexist culture of '80s rock — the song was intended as a feminist statement of power and strength. Women were much more than the ornamental, eye candy depictions of the era, but strong and intelligent, in control and a force to be reckoned with. The song and subsequent video catapulted Aaron to iconic status with legions of fans around the globe and over the years has become an enduring anthem of empowerment for men and women alike.

The late '80s and early '90s brought radio hits, gold and multi-platinum sales with"BodyRock" and "Some Girls Do" (1991), multiple JUNO nominations and song writing awards. She appeared on the cover of dozens of magazines — even TV Guide! — and for several years seemed to be everywhere, her videos in near constant rotation on MuchMusic.Aaron turned the tables on the sexist status quo in her video for "Whatcha Do To My Body", which featured a group of rugged, attractive men objectified in a tongue and cheek, yet respectful manner. This resonated deeply with the public and became a smash hit.

Recurrent themes in her writing — from teenager to maturity — have always been female empowerment and individualism, challenging the feminine stereotype and of course, love, in all its beauty and iniquity.

She re-emerged in 1998 performing blues and jazz in intimate venues around Vancouver, surprising fans and industry insiders alike with a musical left turn and released "Slick Chick"(2000) a spirited and soulful nod to her early influences. Despite initial skepticism, her authenticity and solid live performances from coast to coast led to credibility as one of the country's most respected and versatile female vocalists and songwriters.

She followed up with the jazz-infused "Beautiful Things" (2004) but perhaps her most challenging career move to date was to become a wife and mother. Less than a month after completing the "Beautiful Things" tour, Lee and her husband welcomed a daughter in 2004 and a son in 2006. She took a recording hiatus to focus on her young family, but continued to perform selected live dates. She also released "Museum", a collection of jazz performances on DVD in 2006; "Rarities, Studio & Live", a 3-DVD career anthology in 2008;"Live In Sweden", a DVD of her 2011 concert at Sweden Rock Festival; and a 30-year commemorative CD, "Radio Hitz And More", in 2012.

During this time, Aaron returned college to expand on her post secondary education, acquiring a certification in specialized education. Working with exceptional youth in her community, she soon found herself helping design and implement programs for gifted children. "I've worked with differently-abled thinkers all my life… they're called musicians!" she says. "Working with kids who learn in unconventional ways is intuitive work; just like music. When you find a teaching strategy that works — just like a song idea — the light bulb goes on and it's magical."

In 2016, Aaron catapulted back onto the scene with "Fire And Gasoline", a stellar collection of rock originals. Canadian and European dates followed and video singles "Tom Boy", "Fire And Gasoline" and "Bad Boyfriend" continue to grow in popularity.

Lee's latest studio album, "Diamond Baby Blues", arrived in April 2018. Her first official live LP, Power, "Soul, And Rock N' Roll – Live in Germany", followed in September 2019.

facebook

• 3 weeks later...

Man it makes me sad to see once-great artists do this to themselves. Surely she's not recording this thinking wow, this is top stuff. Because it isn't. It's pure garbage and a(nother) blemish on a great career. Awful. 

1 hour ago, PeterS said:

One where you maybe just want to think of her as a different artist. 

I enjoyed the last album and I'm enjoying this. 

Different artist or not I still think the songs are atrocious. :(

Glad she still has a fan out there, though. 

Her last couple of albums were up and down. 'Fire And Gasoline' was pretty average but 'Diamond Baby Blue'  was very decent over all. This one isn't great. 2 or 3 good songs at most, but pretty unremarkable otherwise. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I had the need to go to Bloomington, IL, about an hour west of me, so this time instead of just thrift stores in that town, in the wake of the JL Records trip I figured I would check and see if there were still any dedicated "record stores" there. The last time I went CD-hunting in Bloomington was almost 25 years ago. Since pawn shops stopped carrying CDs, and I only got into thrifting since I retired, for the last 20 years or so almost everything I buy has been online in one form or another. I always forget that college towns *can* be good sources of CDs, but it's soo damned inconsistent. West Lafayette (where JL Records is located) is the home of Purdue University (39,000 students), and Bloomington, IL is the home of Illinois State University (21,000 students). Why do I always forget about this?... because I live in the town with the main campus of the University of Illinois (44,000 students... bigger than either of those)... and it has NOT A SINGLE FUCKING MUSIC STORE on campus. There's only one, way off campus, and it's absolutely pathetic. It's basically a 100,000 population community with ZERO music stores. So I've gotten away from thinking about those opportunities for CD hunting... which as it turns out, has been a major mistake on my part. There are two record/CD stores on the ISU campus in Bloomington, located 2 doors apart on the same street! They both opened 20 years ago this year (after I had stopped my regular CD hunting trips to Bloomington). I wondered if, given the timing, they were both owned by the same party, but no they are competition, but friendly competition. Each owner spoke positively of the other and recommended I visit their counterpart. The two stores are North Street Records and Waiting Room Records. They are very similar to one another, and yet extremely different from JL Records from my last trip. Whereas JL was 80% CDs and 20% vinyl, both of these stores are the exact opposite. JL stocked a lot of current releases in our euro-centric genres, whereas these two stores are more what you would expect: rock = "classic rock", with very little in the way of import releases from the labels we know. That said, both stores had dedicated "heavy metal" sections, although primarily focused on death metal and thrash, as opposed to melodic, power, or prog metal. There were some interesting items of note in their used sections. Where JL typically priced things closer to full retail (used CDs $10-15, new CDs $16-25), these stores made up for their lack of variety compared to JL, in lower price points: used CDs $4-10, new CDs ($10-16). I didn't have time to take pics of the stores themselves this time out, as I was a bit rushed, but I plan to make a return trip at a more leisurely pace (although it's always going to be a PITA, as the campus parking enforcement rigorously enforces the 1-hour parking time limit or you get a $20 ticket, so moving your car every hour sucks). So going over my store-specific impressions and acquisitions... outside of a few music blu-rays for my collection, everything I picked up was for resale on eBay; stuff that I thought had enough room to justify picking up. First Waiting Room Records. This store was the larger of the two, more brightly lit, spacious, and appeared to cater more to the artsy-fartsy clientele. More of an emphasis on jazz and world music. Vintage audio equipment for sale in various places. This store had several boxes of $1 CDs (6 for $5, 13 for $10) as well as a box on the sidewalk outside the door of free cds. I availed myself of both, this cheap stuff just more out of curiosity and experimentation than anything in my wheelhouse. Lots of CD singles and radio station promos. The vast majority of what I bought here were actually bootlegs. A local collector who was getting out of physical media had sold a spate of Russian 2-on-1 boots. These were very common on eBay in the 2000-2010 period, but have dried up since then. Only really of interest to diehard completists, but depending on the artist, they can sell for fairly big bucks. As I typically do, prior to purchase I asked "any discounts for larger purchases?" I learned early on that while discounting varies greatly from store to store, if you don't ask you don't always get... so I unashamedly always ask. In this case it amounted to 10% off, which basically covered the sales tax... better than nothing.           Assassinator is a local metal band, found zero examples listed on eBay     And the carton of $1 and free CDs.   Now we move on to North Street Records. Smaller location, more dimly lit, but more my speed. Proprietor looked like he stepped out out of Duck Dynasty... a bit reserved initially, but opened up as the visit progressed. Stuff was stacked EVERYWHERE. I know I missed things, so I know I will go back to look at things more thoroughly. More rock-focused than the other store. Lots of Mobile Fidelity vinyl releases brand new, quite a large selection of CD box sets. No $1 CDs like the other place, but the pricing was better to begin with, and the discount he offered at the end was better. What caught my eye was a whole run of 13 Todd Rundgren and Utopia albums. Not inherently HH fodder per se, although certain songs definitely could fit... the material is all over the map stylistically, from pop to rock to experimental and DEVO-esque. Historically, the Utopia releases resonated with me more so than his solo efforts. These, however, were all Japanese vinyl-sleeve replica releases from 2008, part of the limited edition 80th anniversary reissue series. Looking them up online on both eBay and Discogs reveals that they are in very short supply and some of them can sell for above $50 each. They were stickered EXTREMELY reasonably to begin with at $10 each. When I checked out, he basically offered that if I bought those 13 as marked, he would knock off most of the sales tax and the other titles I had pulled would be free. I couldn't argue, as that worked out to approximately 25% off. Not to mention that his marked price on the still-sealed Dream Theater Luna Park 3CD + blu-ray set was dirt cheap to begin with. All in all, at was a great trip, and now a more semi-local source to shop at periodically.            
    • Hi, I am looking for a hard copy of this. If anyone can help, Please let me know.   Thanks,   Rick
    • New song 'Freefall' taken from the album 'Hypnotized' out July 12 through Frontiers.    
    • The definitely do put some nice effort into their videos. Yeah, that release date feels like it was a little farther out than necessary.  I feel like early June probably would've been fine to still allow plenty of promotion time and a few singles/videos. I guess I get it though.  It seems like albums die and get forgotten pretty quickly these days so the best way to give it legs is probably doing a slow burn with getting songs out there before ultimately releasing the album.
    • Ah, I love it. If they carry on like this, the videos will soon be more elaborate than the tracks. It's a pity that the album won't be released until July.
    • What a cock tease... premieres in 20 minutes...
    • 2 for 2 for me.  These guys just keep cranking out fun, catchy tunes.    
    • A little heavy on the auto-tune, but otherwise solid.
    • Heard the same and agree....snippet sounds like Disturbed or something.  I just don't get these bands sometimes.  Their popularity was made from rocking, catchy tunes....so just do that lol.   It was only a snippet of the intro I think so maybe the song will go somewhere....but I doubt it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.