Metal School (Band documentaries)

• 1 month later...
  • 2023 Gold Donors

His latest and possibly greatest.

This time W.A.S.P. gets the treatment.

They're definitely in my top five bands, probably #2, I reckon.

These guys were a huge part of my life back in the day.

He mentions the album "Winged Assassins".

I became aware of it early on and obsessed with getting it, but couldn't find it anywhere (pre Internet, of course).

I eventually discovered that it was the alternate name for the debut.

Edited by Darkstone

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/7/2022 at 11:47 AM, Darkstone said:

"Stryper" gets the treatment this time.

It's a good one. Almost an hour.

This is excellent. He spends a lot less time discussing video plots and more about the music and history. I reckon this is his best doco yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, auslander said:

This is excellent. He spends a lot less time discussing video plots and more about the music and history. I reckon this is his best doco yet.

Haha, I like his takes on the videos. Yeah, I thought this was one of his best, but dude runs a good show and I enjoy them all. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Yeah, looking forward to this one tomorrow. Really curious about it because he always favours the less commercial stuff but surely... surely not even he can gloss over the fact that 'Street Ready' was their finest hour... in my opinion, of course. I actually think there's quite a fondness for the 1987 s/t album too, though, so I'm assuming he'll favour that. 

This one's good timing actually, as I only heard their debut for the first time the other day, and if I'd heard 'New World Asylum' before I had no recollection, and also spun that. So pretty up-to-date on their discography, bar the 1987 s/t, funnily enough, which I haven't spun in a while... but otherwise I'm primed and ready to go for this one. 

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors
22 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Yeah, looking forward to this one tomorrow. Really curious about it because he always favours the less commercial stuff but surely... surely not even he can gloss over the fact that 'Street Ready' was their finest hour... in my opinion, of course. I actually think there's quite a fondness for the 1987 s/t album too, though, so I'm assuming he'll favour that. 

This one's good timing actually, as I only heard their debut for the first time the other day, and if I'd heard 'New World Asylum' before I had no recollection, and also spun that. So pretty up-to-date on their discography, bar the 1987 s/t, funnily enough, which I haven't spun in a while... but otherwise I'm primed and ready to go for this one. 

You won't be disappointed. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2023 Gold Donors

This latest one posted a couple of weeks ago features "Blind Guardian".

A band that I'm aware of, I've always loved "The Bard's Song", but not overly familiar with their work. 

I love how these deep dive retrospectives help me to appreciate iconic music that I haven't given the deserved attention to.

• 9 months later...

I watch all of these, even the super obscure metal bands I've never heard of and are really not my thing musically... but I find them all interesting. A sweet one came up today, though, with none other than the Killer Dwarfs in the spotlight;

This one was probably the most eye opening of all to me. I actually felt like a gump afterwards. 

1. I had honestly never heard about their debut album before. Man I felt silly seeing that. Never a whisper entered my field of view before. 

2. And as if that wasn't bad enough, I don't have any record of ever having heard 'Start @ One' either - an album recorded in 1993, shelved, and finally released in 2013. I find it impossible to believe this was released and I didn't know about it, but I can't find any record that I've heard it before. Will rectify asap. 

3. Was really curious to see the music video thing they had going on too. Pretty cool and innovative and something to get their heads stuck above the pack, I'd have thought. 

Anyway, this was a really cool one and I'm really grateful for it as it's led me to two albums by a band I am genuinely very fond of, that I had no idea about. I don't think the debut will be "my thing," but mad curious about both either way. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2023 at 12:54 PM, Geoff said:

I watch all of these, even the super obscure metal bands I've never heard of and are really not my thing musically... but I find them all interesting. A sweet one came up today, though, with none other than the Killer Dwarfs in the spotlight;

This one was probably the most eye opening of all to me. I actually felt like a gump afterwards. 

1. I had honestly never heard about their debut album before. Man I felt silly seeing that. Never a whisper entered my field of view before. 

2. And as if that wasn't bad enough, I don't have any record of ever having heard 'Start @ One' either - an album recorded in 1993, shelved, and finally released in 2013. I find it impossible to believe this was released and I didn't know about it, but I can't find any record that I've heard it before. Will rectify asap. 

3. Was really curious to see the music video thing they had going on too. Pretty cool and innovative and something to get their heads stuck above the pack, I'd have thought. 

Anyway, this was a really cool one and I'm really grateful for it as it's led me to two albums by a band I am genuinely very fond of, that I had no idea about. I don't think the debut will be "my thing," but mad curious about both either way. 

The biggest annoyance for me is when they released Start @ One (I have a signed copy) I posted something on the FaceBook group about Stand tall and how it needs a reissue again as that is the only one of their original albums that is damn near impossible to find for a good price, even the original reissue, Russ replied and said it was indeed getting reissued again and nothing ever came of it. Looking at Discogs the cheapest copy of the reissue (Grudge records) is $55 and cheapest original release (Maze music) is $69 ... not the most expensive CDs ever, but still more than most people would be willing to pay.

On 1/2/2024 at 1:46 AM, Captain Howdy said:

The biggest annoyance for me is when they released Start @ One (I have a signed copy) I posted something on the FaceBook group about Stand tall and how it needs a reissue again as that is the only one of their original albums that is damn near impossible to find for a good price, even the original reissue, Russ replied and said it was indeed getting reissued again and nothing ever came of it. Looking at Discogs the cheapest copy of the reissue (Grudge records) is $55 and cheapest original release (Maze music) is $69 ... not the most expensive CDs ever, but still more than most people would be willing to pay.

Interesting. I was lucky enough to find their middle four albums through the years, all on shelves in Australian music / second hand shops. 'Stand Tall,' if memory serves, I got for $19.95 at Utopia. That was pretty expensive itself at the time. 

Yeah, judging by the tail end of the video above, sounds like there is a whole lot of inactivity in the Killer Dwarfs camp and I dare say a possible lack of desire to keep the thing going? 

I heard those two albums I missed... gotta be honest and say I don't think I was missing out on much by not being aware of them. Debut is pretty basic / simple hard rock. Nothing terrible, but nothing I'd really spin again either. 'Start @ One' is pretty underwhelming too. One of those albums where you kind of have to concede that you can understand why a record label may have passed on it. 'Solid Ground' is a pretty nice track, but the rest is a kind of lacklustre way for the band to bow out. 

Either way, still glad I finally closed a chapter that I didn't know needed to be closed. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2023 Gold Donors

The new one featuring "Accept".

I haven't watched it yet, it's over an hour, but I submit it for your approval. 

I'm sure it's quality as always.

Yeah, it's another good one. Always learn a bit from these, which is cool, even with bands I don't really follow at all. 

• Like 1