Toto - All In 13-disc box set

Released earlier this year, this 13-CD box now appears to be available at prices considerably lower than the launch prices and I don't mean all the low-cost bootleg box sets coming from Chinese sellers on eBay.

I just received mine today, purchased from eBay seller rarewaves-ca out of the UK. It cost US$48 shipped. No indication that it is anything other than a legitimate pressing, with the "Includes 11 remastered studio albums plus new album OLD IS NEW and the LIVE IN TOKYO EP" sticker on the front, and Sony "swoosh" logo embedded in the shrinkwrap right by the barcode on the back.

Also, the printing is crisp and colors on the money, so it's clear that the printing was done from graphic design source files, not a second-generation scan from a legit pressing then used to create the printing plates or digital files for the boots, which is a consistent giveaway of Chinese bootlegs.

Under a loupe, solid areas of color reveal clear and distinct rosettes, an indication of 4-color or 6-color offset printing, which is a good thing. Were this printed from a scan of a product, you would see the dot pattern of the scan instead, and it wouldn't be as crisp.

There are no liner notes, just individual sleeves for each CD, but at under $4 per disc, it's a solid value, and reports are the remastering is excellent.

Yeah, a lot of the "premium" box sets are now vinyl + CD or in some cases vinyl only, and the prices tend to be way up there. Since I don't do vinyl, it doesn't make sense to me to spend the extra money, even if the vinyl sets are more exclusive.

Who would have thought that we'd come full circle to where vinyl releases are higher tier and more in demand than CD.

3 hours ago, heavyharmonies said:

Yeah, a lot of the "premium" box sets are now vinyl + CD or in some cases vinyl only, and the prices tend to be way up there. Since I don't do vinyl, it doesn't make sense to me to spend the extra money, even if the vinyl sets are more exclusive.

Who would have thought that we'd come full circle to where vinyl releases are higher tier and more in demand than CD.

And i saw a new story last week where the walkman esque cassette player is being remade and cassettes are the come back... 

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2019/7/7/20683049/retro-bluetooth-cassette-tape-player-kickstarter

Unfortunately the devil is in the details... if you actually go through to the Kickstarter campaign and read the comments, it reveals that the playback is mono only, not stereo, which makes it utterly useless.

That said, there appear to be similar type units coming out of Asia on eBay, Amazon, and ALiexpress at much lower prices, but none of them are very well reviewed.

Sit back and listen to the first 4 Toto albums as you have never head them before.....the rest ain't too shabby either.enjoy ;)

• 5 months later...

Good songs from 'Old Is New'.

oldisnew.jpg&width=400&height=800&constr

Tracklist

1. Alone (Lukather/Paich/Porcaro/Williams)
2. Devil's Tower (Lukather/Paich/Porcaro/Williams)
3. Fearful Heart (Lukather/Paich/Porcaro/Williams)
4. Spanish Sea (Lukather/Paich/Porcaro/Williams)
5. In A Little While (Paich/Porcaro)
6. Chelsea (Lukather/Paich/Porcaro/Williams)
7. Chase The Rain (Lukather/Paich/Porcaro/Williams)
8. Oh Why (Paich)
9. Struck by Lightning (Lukather/Paich/Porcaro/Williams)
10. What So Not & TOTO feat. SKRILLEX - We'll Keep On Running