USA Friends - Your Local Band Scene - Is It Dying?

T-BONE

Asking my USA friends how the local live band music scene is doing in your area. I live in Minnesota and it seems like the live band scene in my area is dying rapidly. Especially when it has to do with rock bands. Many local music venues have been closing down or switching their formats over to DJ's. There are many theories as to why this is happening.

Part of me thinks the younger generation targeted audience is the 21 year old to 28 year old people. Many of them have short attention spans and they spend most of the night staring at their cell phones. Another part of me thinks that many of them music-wise do not have an appreciation for musical talent or live music in general but more so towards a DJ. I am also aware of people in my age group (I'm 43) are now adults and they have adult things to do in their lives so therefore any nights they do get out they have to be home earlier to do adult things in the morning. And let's face it, we're not as young as we used to be....

I guess what I'm asking here is how is your local live band or Rock scene doing?

No idea cuz I'm old and rarely go to shows nowadays...

Scene is basically dead in Baltimore. No real support anymore. It's pretty sad.

Like TBone said about Minnesota, most of the live venues are now DJ dive bars and have no live concert venues anymore.

I'm referring to cover/tribute bands just as much as original acts. It's pretty sad

I previously lived in Milwaukee, WI and it had been pretty dead there for years as well. Especially with regards to local rock/hard rock bands. There were a few places (The Rave) in Milwaukee that still had national acts but hardly anywhere that you could go see a local rock band. I now live in Florida and the scene is a bit more active than Milwaukee, but still the clubs/venues are few and far between compared to years ago.