Circle II Circle - Reign Of Darkness

Dead Planet

I don't know what it is about Circle II Circle. I *SHOULD* like them a lot better than I do. The Zak Stevens era Savatage albums are some of the most eargasmic albums ever released, but Circle II Circle just bores me. It doesn't hold my attention.

I think it's the Jon Oliva factor. The man can't carry a tune in a bucket vocally, but he writes and arranges some incredible shit. The pairing of Oliva handling instrumental details and Stevens on vocal duties was just a magical combination. It hit on all cylinders... other than the brilliant TSO, Oliva's other efforts have left me in Meh-ville.

I don't know what it is about Circle II Circle. I *SHOULD* like them a lot better than I do. The Zak Stevens era Savatage albums are some of the most eargasmic albums ever released, but Circle II Circle just bores me. It doesn't hold my attention.

I think it's the Jon Oliva factor. The man can't carry a tune in a bucket vocally, but he writes and arranges some incredible shit. The pairing of Oliva handling instrumental details and Stevens on vocal duties was just a magical combination. It hit on all cylinders... other than the brilliant TSO, Oliva's other efforts have left me in Meh-ville.

I agree completely Dan. Something is just missing from Circle II Circle.