Xbox One

Jacob M.

Yesterday I bought an Xbox One. There's currently a promotion (which ends tomorrow) that if you buy the system you get a free game. Lucky for me I have an employee discount and there are no taxes here. Even better Walmart did a gift card instead of a free game. I can spend the $60 on anything I want.

This is a pretty big deal for me. I haven't bought a new console since the GCN. Unfortunately it might be a week or two before I can even use it. Apparently it's not compatible with the TV in front of me and I need the Internet to download updates before I can even use it. As soon as I figure that out things are going to be a lot more interesting.

You make it sound as though there is a right choice. Neither console has shown much at this point. Because of the promotion I basically got the system with a game (it came with a Madden download) for $300. The system was a bargain and will provide me with what I need. I'm not sure how I made the wrong choice here. As for Destiny I'm going to hold off on it. I've been seeing a lot of mixed reviews.

• My Little Pony

You make it sound as though there is a right choice. Neither console has shown much at this point. Because of the promotion I basically got the system with a game (it came with a Madden download) for $300. The system was a bargain and will provide me with what I need. I'm not sure how I made the wrong choice here. As for Destiny I'm going to hold off on it. I've been seeing a lot of mixed reviews.

As an Xbox 360 supporter for seven years, I was very disappointed with the way Microsoft conducted themselves with the reveal through to the release of the Xbox One. They lied to us on many accounts, and have lost my trust, as well as the trust of most gamers. Now, I'm not saying it's a bad console, but it is inferior to the PS4 - this coming from friends that own both consoles, and many developers I've talked to that had to develop for both platforms. At the end of the day, if you're happy with it, that's all that matters.

As for Destiny, the reviews are split. It appears to be a case of you either love it, or don't understand it. Those that give it a poor score are saying the narrative is too short and not deep enough, and that the PvP is mundane. True, the story is short. I haven't finished it, but a few friends have, and they agree it is short. The PvP is not my favourite. It's similar to Halo, and I grow tired of that kind of multiplayer, but I would argue the majority love it. But, what I mean by those that don't love it are simply misunderstanding it is this is the first truly next-gen game. The way Bungie plans to stay involved with the community is exciting. Everyday there are new missions, challenges, loot, and every week there are more challenging missions with greater rewards. There will also be weekly Raids, which haven't even been introduced, yet. And there is plenty of DLC on its way. I know a lot of people aren't happy with that sort of practice. They argue they should only ever pay once, and get the full game. I don't believe Bungie really wants to release their game like this, but it's actually part of their contract with Activision. I'm personally okay with it. There is so much to do in this game without DLC, and there is so much about this game Bungie hasn't even opened up to us. There's never been a game experience quite like it.

• 1 month later...

I haven't had much hands on experience with the One even though I bought it a while back. I'm still in limbo at the moment and don't have it in front of me yet. It still resides with my brother. I have a feeling he hasn't touched it much either.

My experience so far has left a bad taste in my mouth. The user interface is complete garbage. I don't know how much time was wasted trying to figure it out. And Microsoft's push of digital content annoys the hell out of me. The one game I had to have was KI. I waited til they released it in physical format. Instead of doing it proper they released a bare bones game. If you want the bonus content the only way you can get it is if you buy the digital version.

And the way games are going now I am very wary to buy anything when it first comes out. It seems as though pretty much everything now comes out half baked. Once the game is out and they already have everyone's money they promise to offer patches to problems that should have been addressed before they even released it. Do they not have game testers any more? I'm looking specifically at Assassin's Creed right now. As bad as the latest installment sounds they should have held off the release. Sounds like a fun game. Not a chance I would touch it unless they released a fixed version.

• My Little Pony

Oh, boy. You ain't never lie.

I've never been an AC fan, but this pretty much has deterred me from ever trying out the franchise. And I might just stay away from Ubisoft, altogether. In fact, I'm considering cancelling my pre-order of The Division. If you like AC, stick with Black Flag.

As for Microsoft's UI, I thought they've released many software updates since the Xbone dropped last year. If you haven't used it in a while, there may be a bunch of updates waiting.

Altogether, this has been a disappointing year. Folks are saying this has been a bad year for our music; nah, it's been a very bad year for AAA games. With big titles like Watchdogs, Destiny, Driveclub, The Sims, AC: Unity, as well as others, having shitty debuts, I'm very wary about any future releases. I might just stop pre-ordering, altogether.

Thankfully, with Sony anyway, we get free games every month. Games that are actually worth playing.

• 4 months later...