Conquest - The Harvest

Stefan

13 years later Conquest release their follow-up to the excellent 'Worlds Apart' that was released in 1999 by Escape Music. Featuring one of the best voices in Finland, Peter James Goodman and his gang releases 'The Harvest', delivering songs from the book of melodic old-school hard rock.

I like it. A lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biOnGaTpeHA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7CulQg8080&feature=related

• 2 months later...

Surprised this one such a small response, these songs sound really good. Not my usual tastes, as it's a bit 'classic rock' sounding and I'm not hugely keen on the vocals, but these are great songs with some fantastic guitar! Can't seem to find it for less than €15 (before postage) though, which is slightly out of my price range these days.

Surprised this one such a small response, these songs sound really good. Not my usual tastes, as it's a bit 'classic rock' sounding and I'm not hugely keen on the vocals, but these are great songs with some fantastic guitar! Can't seem to find it for less than €15 (before postage) though, which is slightly out of my price range these days.

I thought the same thing, very little response. You don't like the voice? I think it's really good. The other voice on the second video is Marco Hietala of Nightwish/Tarot/Northern Kings fame.

You might try the link at the end of the review (from www.seaoftranquility.org). I think it may be 14€ (incl. postage). Maybe they will ship to UK as well.

'Love vintage Rainbow, Deep Purple, Iron Maiden, and Uriah Heep? Well, then you need to be sure to check out this new release from Finnish band Conquest, titled The Harvest. Originally formed in Helsinki back in 1997, the band released their debut Worlds Apart in 1999, but many line-up changes (at one time Nightwish bassist Marco Hietala was also in the band) eventually led to the breakup of the group. Vocalist Peter James Goodman put Conquest back together in 2011, assembling Janne Laviranta (Bass), Ville Siuruainen (Drums), Kasperi Heikkinen (Guitars), and Tuomas Seppälä (Keyboards, Guitars ) to round out the line-up, using song both old and new to complete The Harvest.

The album is well played & written old school melodic hard rock and heavy metal, with Goodman's Bruce Dickinson inspired vocals leading the charge over heavy riffs, blazing guitar solos, driving keyboards, and tight rhythms. "Primitive" sounds like a long lost track from Rainbow's Rising period, complete with virtuoso guitar & keyboard duels, majestic melodies, and powerful vocals. "Red Horizon" has those galloping Maiden styled rhythms, and "Touch of Danger" contains some haunting melodies and beefy guitar & keyboard riffs that wouldn't be out of place on any classic or recent Uriah Heep release. The title track is a great emotional & moody slice of hard rock/metal, complete with a tasty guitar solo from Heikkinen, while "Wings of Death" again brings to mind Dio-era Rainbow thanks to some gothic tinged neo-classical melodies and a medieval flair. "Vanishing" is a nice little melodic piece, similar to Heep's more acoustic based material, and the upbeat, heavy rock of "Rock the Roof Off" is a must for Deep Purple/Rainbow fans, chock full of catchy melodies, sizzling riffs, and tasty keys. For a great slice of symphonic, melodic hard rock, you can't go wrong with "Drifting in the Dark", which features a powerful vocal from Goodman, and the lush ballad "Armageddon" has a sizzling guitar solo from Seppala. The CD contains a vibrant bonus track, called "A Night in the Cold World", a real enjoyable melodic rocker dripping with majestic keyboards, potent riffs, and fantastic vocal harmonies.

Featuring a few guest spots from Marco Hietala (Nightwish), Tuomo Lassila (ex-Stratovarius), Pate Kivinen (ex-Hanoi Rocks), and Alexander Kuoppala (ex-Children of Bodom), The Harvest is very close to being an all-star affair. Filled with memorable melodies and arrangements that pay homage to some of the great hard rock & heavy metal bands of the '70s & '80s, Conquest have put together a stellar CD here that heavy rock fans will want to seek out.'

For purchasing information-the CD price is $18 including shipping to USA ONLY by PayPal to Sammyj1968@gmail.com

I will send an email to find out how much it would be with shipping to the UK.

The samples from the website (in the 'Sound & Vision' section) sound really good, I do think more HH-ers should check this out:

http://www.conquestband.com/

Come on, anyone else think this sounds sweeeeet? :headbanger:

Yeah, I don't really like the vocals either. Where have I heard that guy before? Very familiar, very strong accent.

Not really a fan of the music either. Sounds like one of those plodder type CDs like Coldspell that'd gather dust for eternity after the initial spin or two. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Got a reply on this one - $20 to the UK. Not bad, but things are bad at the moment, so I'll probably have to miss out. Unless there's anyone else in the UK who wants a copy? Maybe getting 2 or 3 would make it a lot more cost effective.

Come on, tell me this isn't awesome. Check out that guitar solo... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5gaPc97rRI