HEDLEY - Storms (new release)

zacharyamelie

Not sure if anyone still cares about this once great Canadian act but they just released their follow up to their 2009 shit release The Show Must Go. The new one is called Storms and I won't be getting it. Gone is the modern melodic rock and what we have are all pop rock mid tempo songs for teen girls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aICXsxZCKi0

Enjoy the samples...if you can keep yourself from...:puking:

Yeah, I don't know about this one, mate. Spinning it right now. It is viciously disappointing that they are now no longer a rock band by any stretch of the imagination... but that said, purely on a song level, I actually don't mind this. I like it a lot better than the last album already. It is very soft, very lite... but if you like the lighter side of Simple Plan, the dude can still write a pretty good hook.

Like I said, it's disappointing when you consider the strength of their debut, but I had no idea this was coming out and having almost got done spinning it, I probably expected worse than it actually is. Might grow on me okay.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, before this fades into obscurity, which it undoubtedly will, I'll just drop my review in brief, just because there's a few really worthwile songs here, and overall it's not really as bad as it seems at all... it's just not a rock album.

1 - One life - pure pop, but admittedly a good chorus hook involved - 7

2 - Invincible - again, very light but a huge, excellent chorus like Simple Plan at their best. Very nice indeed - 8.25

3 - Heaven's gonna wait - another very nice chorus in this solid ballad - 7.5

4 - We are unbreakable - another very catchy tune, more uptempo this time - 8

5 - Young - pretty gay pop nonsense - 5.5

6 - Beautiful - mellow, pretty limp - 5.5

7 - Bullet for your dreams - ridiculously awesome, huge chorus. One of the best of the year - 9.5

8 - Hot mess - good catchy pop rock - 8.25

9 - Stormy - another good ballad with another good hook - 8.25

10 - Last call - another very nice chorus and hook - 7.75

11 - I won't let you go - very mellow, but also a very nice tune - great chorus - 7.75

12 - Hiding place - very good, catchy modern pop rock - 8.5

13 - Carry on - absolutely dreadful - 2

- - Total Score of all Songs - 93.75

- - Average Total Percentage of all Songs (%) - 72

- - TOTAL SCORE inc Songs, Vibe, Production etc. (%) - 75

Initially disappointing because it does not rock at all, but despite that, there are some excellent songs here, with great choruses everywhere

Ho ho, this makes me laugh.....I didnt realise your rating model was that harsh! 2/10. lol.

I think ive said this before but I rate songs based on what is the best song Ive ever heard (say something like Crown Of Thorns Dyin For Love) as being 10/10 and the worst ive EVER heard (like say The Birdie Song) being 0/10.....therefore most rock songs range from 5-10...with the low scores reserved for shit like rap/dance etc...........

I guess for you a bad song is bad song. Kuddos.

Ha ha, that is shit actually!! lol. Actually the weird thing is that the verses dont sound toooo bad but then that chorus hits and the post chorus na na nas are just bad. Youre probably too young to remember, but that reminds me of the banana splits :-))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWoaYN63TGE

I can kind of understand why you like this...but its still pretty bad....all those effects - sounds like something Lily (my 4 yr old daughter) would listen to - not bad though. I do think that this modern rock stuff is not for me anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmm-Q0bsyNQ

Yeah mate, a terrible song is a terrible song for me. Doesn't matter what instruments are used. Listening back to 'Carry on' I honestly wonder if my 2/10 rating was too generous. :lol: That song is the height of rudeness.

I admit readily I may have slightly over-rated 'Bullet for your dreams' but that chorus is just incredible to me. I do wish the verses rocked a bit, but f*ck me if that song doesn't get my body parts excited all over.

i'm just about to find out how's the sound of 'pretty gay pop nonsense', now that should be the Term-of-the-Day :bananamac:

Nice... I look forward to your use of the term in an upcoming review.

I guess somewhere in this thread I wanted to get the point across that this CD is actually 1000 times better than 'The Show Must Go' and although it is not better than 'Famous Last Words' because at least that CD rocks... I do actually think the song writing is more consistent and hooks are overall better than the 'Famous Last Words' CD. But because you're basically comparing a rock CD with a pop CD, I'll stick with the rock CD... which does admittedly have some killer songs at the end.

But if you can stand the lighter / poppier side of modern rock/pop, this is actually a good CD.

Geoff why are you wasting your time with this one? Are their no better releases that deserve your sweaty caress and manly love? No not your deep devoted love for that suburb of Sydney. Don't be a slut!!! Show no affection towards this flat chested pimple assed piece of crap. It deserves to be shown the door as it flies through a f**king glass window and rightfully tossed to the curb to be picked up with protective gloves by your local waste collector.

Geoff why are you wasting your time with this one? Are their no better releases that deserve your sweaty caress and manly love? No not your deep devoted love for that suburb of Sydney. Don't be a slut!!! Show no affection towards this flat chested pimple assed piece of crap. It deserves to be shown the door through as it flies through a f**king glass window and rightfully tossed to the curb to be picked up with protective gloves by your local waste collector.

Can you throw a copy through your glass window into an envelope addressed to my doorstep? ;)

Seriously, I don't mind it at all.