Newman - 'Under Southern Skies'

Geoff

Just noticed there isn't even a thread set up for this one yet - criminal activities.

I've only got to spin it once so far, but I love it. Production job is splendid; one of the best in the genre this year. And as always, the songs are good - it's what one expects with Newman - but I think he's raised the bar a little this time, compared to the last couple of studio discs. Like I said, I always enjoy his work but admittedly, the last couple of discs maybe haven't excited me quite as much as previous albums. But this one sounds real nice. The first half is particularly strong, followed by a nice bunch of songs around the 3/4 mark, and then ending with a really sentimental and touching tune for his parents, and a very nice epic closer too.

I'll definitely need more spins for it to completely sink in, but nice to hear this album, and I should note how pleased I am to see another affordable release too. I still don't actually have physical copies of 'The Art of Balance, 'Decade' or 'Primitive Soul' because the prices were a lot larger on those than the rest. I'll get them one day, but for now I'm very happy with the new one. :)

I think I'm pretty convinced that Newman and Big Life sealed two spots in my top 10 this year.

what's your most fave track here ? probably either 'If He Loves You' or 'Ghost In The Night' ? 'Save No Prisoners' is a monster too, starts up slow and crash upward into a brilliant uptempo piece.

Yeah, weird that Amazon doesn't carry 'The Art of Balance', i haven't bought the CD as well coz the price is still too much to handle. Probably last resort is to go to newmansound.com and order from him directly, but I'll be patiently lurking at eBay/amazon first coz next batch of purchase is a bunch of 8.99 such as grand design, grand illusion, vain, etc

I think I'm pretty convinced that Newman and Big Life sealed two spots in my top 10 this year.

what's your most fave track here ? probably either 'If He Loves You' or 'Ghost In The Night' ? 'Save No Prisoners' is a monster too, starts up slow and crash upward into a brilliant uptempo piece.

Yeah, weird that Amazon doesn't carry 'The Art of Balance', i haven't bought the CD as well coz the price is still too much to handle. Probably last resort is to go to newmansound.com and order from him directly, but I'll be patiently lurking at eBay/amazon first coz next batch of purchase is a bunch of 8.99 such as grand design, grand illusion, vain, etc

Yeah, 'If he loves you' was probably my early pick too. But I think any of those first 5 tracks all sounded real good to me.

I have seen the links to his direct site for other CDs, and I think a lot of Brits here probably order direct... but the international shipping combined with the cost of the CD ends up being pretty astronomical. :(

Having purchased my copy of the latest Newman disc, I must say I'm a tad bit dissapointed as I dont find this album to be as great as the band's first 3 albums. I do agree that "under southern skies" is an improvement on the band's last 4 studio album however the unreleased tunes on the "decade" compilation rocks so much more than anything the band's come up with outside those legendary first 3 albums.

Having purchased my copy of the latest Newman disc, I must say I'm a tad bit dissapointed as I dont find this album to be as great as the band's first 3 albums. I do agree that "under southern skies" is an improvement on the band's last 4 studio album however the unreleased tunes on the "decade" compilation rocks so much more than anything the band's come up with outside those legendary first 3 albums.

Sadly, I doubt he'll ever completely recapture the magic of those first 3 albums... but let's be honest, they're freakin' brilliant. Hard for most bands to match them. I agree that 'Decade' was great too, but yeah, this does seem to be the best of the last few studio efforts.

and Big Life sealed two spots in my top 10 this year.

Really??! After the first 3 or 4 tracks I found that to be really bland and quite boring in fact.

Backed on that one mate. One of my disappointments this year for sure.

The new Newman is, as always, a really strong disc with some great songs, maybe a step up on the last couple aswell. All going well in the Newman camp then I think

Really??! After the first 3 or 4 tracks I found that to be really bland and quite boring in fact.

The new Newman is, as always, a really strong disc with some great songs, maybe a step up on the last couple aswell. All going well in the Newman camp then I think

They were great live at Firefest as well.

Pretty much gotta agree with you guys on the Big Life CD. I do like it, but it's hard not to lose interest or get distracted or lost in other thoughts when it's playing. Not sure I could even hum one of the songs off the top of my head right now. Not to say there aren't about 3-4 really great songs on it... but overall I just wish it was a little more exciting. Nice, solid and safe CD... but just missing a real kick to it.

like i said, i'm alone here with Big Life, but doesn't really care coz I like it and case closed.

If you dig out Google, you can find at least 10 people/press really like that Big Life disc and gave a very favorable reviews based on their own perspectives, but that doesn't matter because taste varied, but just because you find it boring and bland, doesn't make it a bad disc :)

music is like evaluating a woman's face, one can find it attractive, but others won't, but there's always a consensus whether a woman is pretty or not, there's no right or wrong to that, but apparently we all agree on Newman here :popcorn:

They were great live at Firefest as well.

Backed :)