Wicked Jester - Royalty Sux (2011)

AlphaMale

Check out this killer band!! This disc is kicking my ass!!! :headbanger:

wickedjesterroyaltysux.png

http://www.myspace.com/wickedjesteronline/music

Wicked Jester born in 1987. Three guys from Illinois (Shane, D.D., and Rob) that relocated to Biloxi, Mississippi to join the native Kenny Kweens and became big fish in a little pond.

The stage performances were incredible for a band of their indie level: pyro, lightshows and big sound systems. The band sold their self-financed recordings on tape after the shows with great success.

In 1991 they headed West to Los Angeles to make a noise but it was a little too late. Even though they sold out shows and were critically acclaimed by the local rags, the band called it quits in 1993.

An independent label resurrected these tapes a couple years ago and offered the band to release their first official CD ever.

Shane and the boys have gone back in the studio and re-cut the entire record from start to finish.

The result is "Royalty Sux", a trip back to the Sunset Strip years.

I don't know how the band used to sound 20 years ago, but I can assure you that Wicked Jester 2011 really rocks!

Compact, tight and perfectly oiled musicianship, and better than that, the artistic production on this album is first rate.

Obviously, Wicked Jester is a glam 'n sleaze band, but they aren't limited to this genre. On the kick-ass "Shot To The Head" their style is more close to Skid Row's 'Slave To The Grind' than anything else. This is a melting hard rocker with terrific guitar work and big drums. Or in "In Need Of Love" the guys are very melodic yet powerful, reminding me L.A. Guns. Again, guitars are the stars here. Very commercial and catchy song. Twenty-five years back in time this track would be a hit.

Lynch Mob's influence is present on the ferocious "Glitter In The Gutter", a song with a great hook and a monster riff. "Champagne In The Rain" is a radio-ready power ballad, very well arranged and performed. This song is great, seriously, one of these tunes that stuck in you forever. Of course, Wicked Jester is sleaze too: "Ways To Be Wicked", "Screamin´" and specially the filthy "Get Back M.F." (what a great rocker!) are clear examples that this band has learned the lesson perfectly.

Maybe you are not into sleaze, a genre many times considered (wrongly) inferior.

Well, if you dismiss this album 'cos the title or the band image, you'll be committing a big mistake.

"Royalty Sux" is one of best old school American Hard Rock discs in recent years. It's fresh, raw (but polished), with lots of attitude.

There's many points that makes an album a winner; good (I mean, good) songs plenty of hooks and melodies, great vocals, killer guitars and first rate production / mix.

"Royalty Sux" has it all. A really explosive Rock 'N Roll cocktail.

Crank it to 10 and enjoy.

01 - Ways To Be Wicked

02 - Shot To The Head

03 - Screamin

04 - In Need Of Love

05 - Glitter In The Gutter

06 - Champagne In The Rain

07 - Hollywood Slide

08 - Web Of Desire

09 - Get Back M.F.

Shane Tassart: Vocals

D.D. Ehrlich: Guitars

Rob Wood: Drums

Dev Gilmore: Bass

okay have checked out their samples yesterday and I'm gonna say, I like it!

they have the raw feel of early Motley Crue, but also at the same time, can sound melodic as what glam bands in the late 80s did. I think I will order this someday, as soon as they have the sale/cut price again :D

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, this one is really excellent. Forget the fact that it was recorded this year (if I understand the above correctly), there is no doubt this was written back "in the day" and is recorded respectively. Sounds like it was recorded in 1990/91. Great sound / style / production and a real authentic late 80's / early 90's hard rock vibe. This will no doubt be one of my standouts for 2011. Absolutely love it. Not even a sniff of a filler on board here.

I really hope people check this one out as it deserves to be noticed.

Wow, this one is really excellent. Forget the fact that it was recorded this year (if I understand the above correctly), there is no doubt this was written back "in the day" and is recorded respectively. Sounds like it was recorded in 1990/91. Great sound / style / production and a real authentic late 80's / early 90's hard rock vibe. This will no doubt be one of my standouts for 2011. Absolutely love it. Not even a sniff of a filler on board here.

I really hope people check this one out as it deserves to be noticed.

I figured this would be right up your alley! Great tastes my friend! :beerbang: