Mad Max - 'Welcome America' (2010)

Geoff

Is there no other thread on this one?

Seems everywhere you turn these days there's a new CD with Voss on it and the Mad Max ones seem to be coming quickly and frequently. So much so the appeal of a new one may be lost on some? Anyone (apart from Matty-Boo who has been pestering me to listen to it) heard this yet?

Tracklist

1. Welcome America

2. Big Wheel

3. Someone Not Me

4. All I Ever Want

5. Cherry Moon

6. Pinky Promise

7. Shape Of Your Heart

8. Signs

9. Awesome

10. My Heart's Been Waiting

11. This Means Nothin

folder16.jpg

So far I'm really liking it. Only just played track 6 but so far the title track, 'Someone not me', 'All I ever want' and 'Pinky promise' are all excellent. It's maybe a little more "modern" than the Mad Max of old, but so far it sounds like their best effort in quite some time. I diggit.

So you dont want me to comment?

Jerk.

Yes please. And it hasn't skipped yet either. Up to track 6. When should I start getting nervous?

Jerk.

Yes please. And it hasn't skipped yet either. Up to track 6. When should I start getting nervous?

My biggest problem is if you play this next to the last two albums.... it sounds like a completely different band.

Just checked their discography and I don't think I've even heard 'Here we are.' Surely I did, but I totally don't recall it.

As for what sounds like what, yeah Voss' bands have become a bit of a wild mixture. With three recently active bands in Mad Max, Demon Drive and Casanova there's no real setting them apart. This just sounds like a new Voss album to me (regardless of the band name) and I personally dig it.

Did I seriously miss 'Here we are'?

Jerk.

My biggest problem is if you play this next to the last two albums.... it sounds like a completely different band.

Just checked their discography and I don't think I've even heard 'Here we are.' Surely I did, but I totally don't recall it.

As for what sounds like what, yeah Voss' bands have become a bit of a wild mixture. With three recently active bands in Mad Max, Demon Drive and Casanova there's no real setting them apart. This just sounds like a new Voss album to me (regardless of the band name) and I personally dig it.

Did I seriously miss 'Here we are'?

Actually i made a mistake. I forgot about Here we are. I didnt even bother with that one. Here we are is very similar to Welcome America. I meant the two albums before that. "Here we are" and "Welcome America" sound like Voss projects. "Night of White Rock" and "White Sands" were pure melodic 80s hair metal.

Hey Geoff how does it compare to oh...let's say White Sands? Which is my favorite Mad Max disc by the way.

Personally, so far, it seems to compare well. Matty-Boo speaks of a distinct difference in style, though, but I'm yet to really pick that up. I thought the 'White sands' disc was a pretty good modern commercial / melodic rock CD and this one sounds quite similar to me. Maybe a even a bit more "modern" in it's style, but I'm sure it'll please fans of the band.

Hey Geoff how does it compare to oh...let's say White Sands? Which is my favorite Mad Max disc by the way.

Personally, so far, it seems to compare well. Matty-Boo speaks of a distinct difference in style, though, but I'm yet to really pick that up. I thought the 'White sands' disc was a pretty good modern commercial / melodic rock CD and this one sounds quite similar to me. Maybe a even a bit more "modern" in it's style, but I'm sure it'll please fans of the band.

Sweet that's good news, so far 2010 has been stellar for new releases by old bands.

One is melodic rock with a modern edge, the other classy hair metal.... not sure how they are similar.. manturd

One is melodic rock with a modern edge, the other classy hair metal.... not sure how they are similar.. manturd

Ballnut, Mad Max have not been "hair metal" since 'Never say never,' imo of course.

I've heard "Welcome America" a couple times back in the summer. M. Voss gave Sam a few copies at Rocklahoma and we listened to them a bit as we drove around. I remember thinking that the quality of the songs wasn't very consistent. I remember really like some of them (Welcome America & Shape Of Your Heart), while others were down right forgettable. I never bothered to pick up a copy for myself.

I do have to say the Michael Voss is a super cool guy. Got to talk with him a bit the last couple years at Rocklahoma. Great live singer too... very impressive.

• 6 years later...