Goo Goo Dolls - 'Something for the rest of us'

Geoff

Anyone else digging this? An almost "unexpected" new album from these guys and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I think "the other guy" only sings on 2 songs this time round and all the rest are with John Reznick... and are very nice. Of his songs there is not a one I dislike. I always love a new album from these guys and if you've liked their last few I'm sure you'll dig this too. Good stuff.

I'm going to buy it at JB Hifi this week. This new album kinds came outta nowhere. I wasn't even aware that a new album was on the way until it came out. I do like this band a lot. I know a lot of people weren't thrilled with the 'Gutterflower' and 'Let Love In' albums but I thought they had some very cool songs on them. Looking forward to hearing the new one soon.

I'm going to buy it at JB Hifi this week. This new album kinds came outta nowhere. I wasn't even aware that a new album was on the way until it came out. I do like this band a lot. I know a lot of people weren't thrilled with the 'Gutterflower' and 'Let Love In' albums but I thought they had some very cool songs on them. Looking forward to hearing the new one soon.

Yeah, I don't think there's one Reznick song that he has recorded since and including the 'Superstar Carwash' album that I've disliked (well, except 'Sweetest Lie' off the new one, which sounds like current U2/Rob Thomas). I've enjoyed both the last 2 discs - some songs more than others, but he always sounds good. He's got a good voice, a knack for good lyrics and a good ear for a hook. Just one of those guys I love hearing new music from.

I agree the album came from absolutely nowhere. For whatever reason, whenever I don't see a physical new album from these guys I always just assume they've quit. I assume they could quite easily live off their earnings from 'Dizzy up the girl' for the rest of their lives, so it's quite a treat to hear new stuff from them.

• 2 months later...

I have Superstar Carwash and that's it sorry Geoff. I'm guessing they changed a lot after that album, but I can't really say I've heard any songs other than the hits.

Where should I start post Superstar????

'Dizzy up the girl' remains their crowning achievement, and pretty much anything after that is worthwhile too, with varying degrees of consistency. The new one and 'Let love in' would probably be next in line, imo.

I like 'Superstar Carwash' but yeah, they've changed since then. More mellow, better song writing. I dig 'em.

Good to see this thread, uh... yeah... good to see it getting some traffic. Glad to see so many... uh, yeah... so, uh... opinions on the band.

• 3 months later...