Quarterback Daunte Culpepper Signs with the Sacramento Mountain Lions

whiplash1972

Sac_LogoBar2.png

culp%20gree%20rotator.jpg

SACRAMENTO, CA – Monday, June 7, 2010 – Quarterback Daunte Culpepper has signed with the Sacramento Mountain Lions of the United Football League.

Culpepper will be reunited with his former Minnesota Vikings head coach Dennis Green, who will lead the Mountain Lions into the second UFL season, which kicks off this fall. Green previously selected Culpepper, who is a three-time NFL Pro Bowler and also played for the Miami Dolphins, Oakland Raiders and Detroit Lions, with the 11th pick of the 1999 NFL Draft.

"My goal for this year was to get on the field and play football," said Culpepper, who threw for 24,153 yards and 149 touchdowns during a stellar NFL career. "When the opportunity came for me to sign with the UFL and play for coach Green in Sacramento I could not resist. I am impressed with his approach to the game and to his players.

"I am also excited to be reunited with my college coach Mike Kruczek as the offensive coordinator. I am expecting to have a lot of fun running a wide-open offense and being a part of the United Football League. California here I come!"

Coach Green said: "Bringing a player of Daunte's caliber to the Mountain Lions is a major step forward not only for the team but also for the UFL. He is a player who will excite the fans here and will be an integral part of the team we are building that we hope can bring a championship to Sacramento. On a personal note, I am delighted to be reunited with Daunte."

Culpepper's arrival in Sacramento will also create a rivalry with last season's defeated UFL Championship Game finalists the Florida Tuskers. The quarterback enjoyed a standout college football career under Kruczek at the University of Central Florida, where he rewrote the UCF record books. On October 21, the Ocala, FL, native will return to his home state to face the Tuskers at the same Florida Citrus Bowl venue where he rose to prominence with the Knights.

UFL Commissioner Michael Huyghue said of Culpepper joining the Mountain Lions: "We have always prioritized putting a high-quality product on the field for fans to enjoy and adding Daunte Culpepper to the Mountain Lions roster continues that trend. He is an exceptionally talented player who will bring a wealth of experience and excitement to Sacramento and the league as a whole."

Culpepper will be presented to the media at a press conference at the Hilton Hotel (2200 Harvard Street, Sacramento, CA 95815) at 10am PST on Wednesday, June 9 when he joins Coach Green to unveil the new Mountain Lions logo.

The Mountain Lions quarterback will also suit up for the opening of Mini Camp at Grant High School stadium (1333 Grand Avenue, Sacramento, CA, 95838) on Thursday, June 10 at 9am PST. Media are invited to attend Mini Camp, which will be followed by player media availability at 11am PST.

Among his career highlights, in 2004 Culpepper passed for a league-leading 4,717 yards, a Vikings-record 39 touchdowns and was named to his third career Pro Bowl. He also broke Dan Marino's NFL record for combined passing and rushing yards, amassing 5,123 total yards. His 2,323 rushing yards from 2000-2004 also made him only the fourth quarterback in NFL history to run for more than 2,300 yards in a five-season period.

Having played sparingly his rookie year in the NFL, Culpepper was named the starter in 2000 and led the Vikings to a 7-0 mark, eventually finishing 11-5 with a berth in the NFC Championship Game, losing to Las Vegas Locos head coach Jim Fassel's New York Giants.

http://www.ufl-footb...-mountain-lions

Never been a Daunte Culpepper fan but I hope he does well. It wasn't like he would ever be a starting QB in the NFL again. If he still wants to play football then I think it is a great chance for him.

I'm sure I will watch these games. I went to a few of the USFL's Washington Federals games. Then, after the Colts left Baltimore we got The Stallions from the Canadian league and I went to a couple of the games in Baltimore. I also went to every Las Vegas Outlaw game for the one season that league existed.

Football is Football.