"Amityville Horror" house up for sale

Fat Freddy

OB-IP799_amityv_F_20100525155820.jpg

http://blogs.wsj.com/developments/2010/05/25/amityville-horror-house-listed-at-115-million/

Yes, folks, the infamous house on Ocean Avenue in Amityville, New York where six murders were committed in 1974 and then the supposed "most famous haunting" in recent history occurred, is on the selling block.

This house, of course, inspired a cottage industry of "Amityville Horror" books and films, plus a debate about whether or not the "Horror" was all a well planned hoax that lingers to this day.

The asking price is $1.15 million big ones, which is a far cry from the $55,000 that George Lutz and his family paid for it back in the mid '70s. Of course, they only stayed there for 28 days before being driven out by the evil spirits, or so the story goes..... eeeeeheheheheheheheheheh

The house has been extensively renovated since the '70s (the house # was even legally changed by a previous owner, from 112 to 108, to discourage curiosity seekers) and several families have lived in the house since the Lutzes left it. None of them have ever reported any strange goings on.

$1.15 million? In this real estate market? :rofl2:

When I saw this on the news last night, they talked to a couple of real estate agents who admitted it was "a little overpriced" when compared to the rest of the neighborhood, but they're probably banking on the house's notoriety to pull in the bigger $$.

Considering that the "Horror" saga has pretty much been debunked over the years as a massive hoax, though, I doubt that it's going to help much.

That said, the original "Amityville" flick scared the ever lovin' POOP outta me when I was a kid! :yikes: Even though it terrified me, I was fascinated by the whole thing. I read all the books that came out about the case. I was even a little disappointed when the talk about it all being a hoax started circulating in the 80s/90s. I was like "Awww, c'mon! It's a great story! Don't screw it up!" :lol:

Awesome. What a great house, looks more spooky (as in the film) from this view:

amityville-2.jpg

The whole story of the murders is pretty chilling:

My link

Awesome. What a great house, looks more spooky (as in the film) from this view:

amityville-2.jpg

Yea, that's a great old pic. As you can see from the one in my original post, the house looks nothin' like it did in the 70s now. I can understand why the subsequent owners changed its look though. It must've been hell living there with curiosity seekers always driving by.

The whole story of the murders is pretty chilling:

The kid who killed his family in the house (Ronald DeFeo) was up for parole not that long ago, I remember reading about it in the paper. Unsurprisingly, his request was denied.

The kid who killed his family in the house (Ronald DeFeo) was up for parole not that long ago, I remember reading about it in the paper. Unsurprisingly, his request was denied.

Glad to hear it! He claimed his sister killed the other kids, then he killed her, which seems quite plausible. That's the most shocking thing about it; they were so young, it's tragic. I almost bought a History Channel documentary about it, but apparently it's rubbish.

"Ah look at this beautiful house...We have the chandelier, the staircase, kitchen....(((GET OUT)))...Too bad we can't stay baby..." - Eddie Murphy in "Delirious"

Glad to hear it! He claimed his sister killed the other kids, then he killed her, which seems quite plausible. That's the most shocking thing about it; they were so young, it's tragic. I almost bought a History Channel documentary about it, but apparently it's rubbish.

In the book i mentioned, the author is of the school that Dawn (the sister) participating in the killings and has evidence to support.

I've seen the movie but haven't read up on the whole true story of what happened but from the how the movie scared me when I was a kid there is no way in hell I'd live, rent, stay the night or even drive by that house ever.

Read 'the night the defeo's died' by Rick Osuna. the final word in all things Amityville.

Good tip, looks like an excellent book. However, it's not cheap:

Defeo book

I'll have to see if the library can order it.