Mass - Sea Of Black

Wotty

Mass return with an excellent album,flitting between "Dark and moody" beginnings into pure m/hr with powerful guitars filling every available space.Then they slow down to mid-temo rockers that highlight the vox,but the guitars remain to the fore.The ballads are acoustic driven,especially the mega "More Than A Friend".

"Til We Meet Again" is another stonking mid-tempo ballad followed by "Captain Jack" an acoustic,thoughtful instrumental,before bowing out with the solid rockin' title track.......

Fantastic fookin' album !!!!

I really want this one. I didn't at all like their last album before this, but then I took it off my trade list when I heard (and really liked) their first 3 albums. I'll give it another go, but this new one sounds very interesting indeed.

I liked 'Voices In The Night' back in the day...but listening to it now, it's basically a Stryper album...haha! The tones, the backing vocals, everything...Michael Sweet didn't bring out Mass so much as he injected himself into Mass...

That said, I'll give this new one a shot...

This one is better than the last CD, I'll say. Still a very similar style of rather unspectacular melodic hard rock... but not bad at all. Only a couple of duds, but mostly solid. I'll look for this to be selling cheaply in a few months and pick up a copy.

• 7 years later...