I Hate Myself For Loving You

66 mustang

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbiYv_lNfFA&feature=related

ok, after I got that bit of classic Joan Jett out of my system who is going to see the Runaways movie?? I want to see it but to be honest, unless i've just heard the crap Runaways songs I'm not impressed with their stuff. I just have one "best of" cd so I am very limited on what their sound was.

Seen Jett twice in concert and all I have to say is BEST live sound I've ever heard. PERFECT sound live. music never overrode the vocals and vocals were crystal clear.

and I was totaly infatuated with Jett at this point in my life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oQ4y_oi9ik&feature=related

As far as the new Runaways movie is concerned I think it's bullshit that they didn't get Lita's consent and that the movie is all focused on Joan and the singer(Sandie West?). All you see is Dakota Fanning and Kristen Stewart and in all of the pics the other actresses are in the background like they weren't even in the band. I think it's crap especially in Lita's case considering how much success she had later on as a solo artist.

A guy I work with saw the movie and was disappointed. He sez it shouldn't be called "The Runaways," it should've been "The Cherie and Joan Story" because they got 90 percent of the screen time while the other girls were in the background.

As for me, I'd like to see it but I'm in no hurry...

Seen Jett twice in concert and all I have to say is BEST live sound I've ever heard. PERFECT sound live. music never overrode the vocals and vocals were crystal clear.

I saw her a bunch of times (at least three, maybe four shows) back in the early to mid 90s. The first time I went was with a friend who was an obsessed Joan fan (he'd seen her fifty times -- no shit) and who insisted that I had to see JJ live at least once before I die. I didn't know much about her other than the radio hits but WHOA! That gal opened up a HUGE can o'whoop ass!! After that I tried to catch her every time she came thru Jersey for awhile.

Funny, the last time I saw her live in concert (early 96 I guess) she was about to start appearing in a Broadway revival of "Rocky Horror Show," and had shaved her head for the role. Apparently the news of her new look hadn't gotten out yet so when she stepped onstage totally bald you could hear this collective "GASP! What the f*ck?" from the crowd :rofl:

I was totaly infatuated with Jett at this point in my life.

Um... you DO know that Joan ain't exactly into dudes, right? :unsure::blink:

Um... you DO know that Joan ain't exactly into dudes, right? :unsure::blink:

didn't know that back in 88-89 but does it really matter?

Not at all. In fact, it makes me wonder if Joan ever, shall we say, "experimented" with Lita Ford in the back of the Runaways' tour bus back in the day.... hummmm.... yum yum. :lol:

Went to see "The Runaways" today. It isn't showing in many places in the USA (maybe 40 or 50 theaters). I had to drive 263 miles round trip to get to Fairfax, VA. to see this movie. With Joan being my favorite artist (followed closely by KIX) I was a bit disappointed with the movie. Being a huge Runaways fan (managed to see them live once at an all ages venue)and knowing much more about the history of the band then the average person who is gonna see this movie nay have affected my view of the movie. I know a lot of people may be upset by the fact that the movie didn't focus much on Lita... but truth be told she wasn't a driving force in the band. She was more or less just along for the ride. She actually had more to do with the demise or the band then the rise. I think the movie could have been a bit better if they had included more about Sandy West (drums) and her battle to keep The Runaways going.

If you want a more historic account of The Runaways... read the book "Neon Angels" by Cherrie Currie. If you just want an hour and 45 mins worth of entertainment check out the movie.. though you may have to wait for a DVD release to do that.

This is the song that I credit mostly for shaping my path in music:

Went to see "The Runaways" today. It isn't showing in many places in the USA (maybe 40 or 50 theaters). I had to drive 263 miles round trip to get to Fairfax, VA. to see this movie. With Joan being my favorite artist (followed closely by KIX) I was a bit disappointed with the movie. Being a huge Runaways fan (managed to see them live once at an all ages venue)and knowing much more about the history of the band then the average person who is gonna see this movie nay have affected my view of the movie. I know a lot of people may be upset by the fact that the movie didn't focus much on Lita... but truth be told she wasn't a driving force in the band. She was more or less just along for the ride. She actually had more to do with the demise or the band then the rise. I think the movie could have been a bit better if they had included more about Sandy West (drums) and her battle to keep The Runaways going.

If you want a more historic account of The Runaways... read the book "Neon Angels" by Cherrie Currie. If you just want an hour and 45 mins worth of entertainment check out the movie.. though you may have to wait for a DVD release to do that.

This is the song that I credit mostly for shaping my path in music:

Thanks Dave. Nice comments from the EXPERT on JJ and the Runaways. Excellent commentary.

I'll be checking it out on DVD. Myself, I don't think there is enough story there to get a movie out of, but after seeing BLIND SIDE I guess anything is possible ;)

Love THE RUNAWAYS and am a huge JETT fan. Seen her many times over the years and she never seems to age a day. She also truely rocks harder live than anyone I can think of at the moment, except perhaps TED NUGENT (Now their's a pair!). Seen LITA FORD many times in the 80s, even got to meet her once. I had a huge crush for years, she's great

I'll be checking it out on DVD. Myself, I don't think there is enough story there to get a movie out of, but after seeing BLIND SIDE I guess anything is possible ;)

Well... I tend to disagree with you there. I think there is way too much to put into an hour and 45 minutes. There were many dynamics at work within The Runaways. They could have take at least 10 different aspects of this band and made a movie out of it. I'm not sure that the route they took was the best... or even the most interesting.

Another movie to check out is "Edgeplay: A Film About The Runaways". This too is more of a historical look at the band and goes deeper into the struggles the band faced. This movie was put out by Victory Tischler (Vicki Blue) who was a member of The Runaways for a brief period. The movie came out in 2004... not sure how hard it is to track this down as I got my copy when it was released.

Maybe it's just me. I think the actual story of THE RUNAWAYS is interesting, and they were certainly pioneers, but I just don't see it translating well to a dramatic motion picture.

Of course, I am skeptical about "true story" music bio movies in general, though usually interesting I would consider very few actually good movies. Most are less an actual story with a point and more "a bunch of stuff that happened". Couple exceptions for me are RAY and perhaps SELENA. WALK THE LINE was ok too.

• 3 months later...

saw the movie and enjoyed it. after having a day to let it sink in I think I'd watch it again, just because I'm such a big Joan Jett fan and to that, I was so impressed with what Kristian Stewart did with the character. I really could imagine that she watched a video of Jett's life and learned from it. I guess it didn't hurt that Joan was there ALL THE TIME.