Bullet For My Valentine - 'Fever'

Geoff

Is anyone else actually really looking forward to this new album? I like their debut a lot and loved parts of the last album, but neither has really show-cased what I believe this band can offer. So far I have heard three songs off the new album and I hate to hype stuff up, but goddamn I am so excited. Barely one scream amongst all three songs, killer heavy production (which both previous albums lacked. Both were produced well, but to that point where a lot of balls are stripped) and most importantly, good songs. Anyone else excited based on these three songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZLWdyP8U2o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn3kHPb2A0U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8LuvRZ405c

Pretty cool. It's like a cross between both of their albums. I liked their first one, couldn't get into their second. Glad his clean vocals have reverted back to the style of the first album. The three cuts you've posted sound great, but is it just me or are the choruses not quite there in the memorability department. The songs from the first album seemed to stick more instantly.

Pretty cool. It's like a cross between both of their albums. I liked their first one, couldn't get into their second. Glad his clean vocals have reverted back to the style of the first album. The three cuts you've posted sound great, but is it just me or are the choruses not quite there in the memorability department. The songs from the first album seemed to stick more instantly.

Yeah, choruses don't seem to be quite as instant as stuff like 'Tears don't fall' or 'Hearts burst into fire' for instance, but having played them many times I just think they need a few more spins to sink in. I'm really loving them, choruses and all. Love the chorus on 'Your betrayal' actually. :)

From Melodic.net -

Rock band BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE has announced the final track listing for their upcoming album FEVER. The album kicks off with the ferocious 1st single "Your Betrayal" followed by the title track "Fever". Produced by Don Gilmore, FEVER is BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE'S third studio album and was recorded in the band's native Wales and Los Angeles. BFMV recently announced a U.S. headline tour that will take the band coast to coast in support of the new album.

Fever Track Listing:

1. Your Betrayal

2. Fever

3. The Last Fight

4. A Place Where You Belong

5. Pleasure and Pain

6. Alone

7. Breaking Out Breaking Down

8. Bittersweet Memories

9. Dignity

10. Begging For Mercy

11. Pretty On The Outside

Yeah, choruses don't seem to be quite as instant as stuff like 'Tears don't fall' or 'Hearts burst into fire' for instance, but having played them many times I just think they need a few more spins to sink in. I'm really loving them, choruses and all. Love the chorus on 'Your betrayal' actually. :)

I'll give 'em a few more listens to see if it does sink in. I'll probably end up buying it anyway.

Thanks for the track listing Glen. That's a positive collection of songs right there!

Y'know, this band have a lot of talent and sure put on a great live show, but just haven't released a disc yet that comes close to showing their full potential. The debut was good & solid, "Scream, Aim, Fire" was decent but pretty soulless and not worth many repeat spins. Now's the time they need to decide whether they're going to be a gallop-riffing Melodic Metal act, an aggressive Screamo band, or a full-blown grooving Lamb Of God-style Metal act, as both releases to date fall between genres without really doing anything that a million other bands don't do. But these new tunes sound good, with a beefy production and some nice riffs, so I'll definitely check it out. But this new album needs to be good or this band will just be overlooked by the fans of all the above genres without being taken seriously, which would be a shame as they really are great live...

Yeah, thanks for the track list Glen. Saliva is dripping. I wish there were more songs, but only because I have such high hopes for this. :)

To be honest, Tim, I can't see them fitting into any of those 3 categories you mention(thankfully). Not much galloping happening on the three songs, screams are all but gone (though let's get honest for a moment - the screaming verses on 'Begging for mercy' are possibly my favourite parts of these 3 songs. F*cking killer stuff), and they definitely don't sound like Lamb of God.

To me it sounds like they've taken the formula of the excellent debut but cut back on the screams and beefed up the production job. To me, these guys have always just been a straight up metal act. The intense screaming and too-polished production have got in the way of excellence in the past, but I think the time in now. Seriously looking for this to contend with Story of the Year in 2010. :)

I must admit that they are 3 pretty hard hitting songs to open the album.

What disappoints me slightly is the solos. Could have been more awesome....like some of those solos on Mutiny Within, which are much more kick arse.

This has definitely got my attention tho and looking forward to hearing the whole album.

Cheers

I must admit that they are 3 pretty hard hitting songs to open the album.

What disappoints me slightly is the solos. Could have been more awesome....like some of those solos on Mutiny Within, which are much more kick arse.

This has definitely got my attention tho and looking forward to hearing the whole album.

Cheers

Yeah, don't give up on the solos mate. The dude absolutely shreds on the first two CDs so I'd be surprised if he didn't offer much the same this time round... hopefully even better.

I still can't get too excited about this one, I mean the first clips I heard from their last album were "Scream, Aim, Fire" and "Eye of the Storm" - both really hard-hitting tunes. But then the first time I played the full album I heard these two tracks first, with the horrible production, and then barely a good track after them. If they deliver an album that either: 1. Makes my Top 10 at year-end, or 2. Has barely any filler, then I'll be shocked/amazed/will-eat-my-hat...

You guys rock! My top metal list thus far

Bullet For My Valentine--Fever

Soulfly--Omen

Sevendust--Cold Day Memory

Drowning Pool--S/T

Godsmack--Oracle

Deftones--Diamond Eyes

Sonic Synicate--(Any info on new album?)

The new SEVENDUST promises to be killer, the new songs they played live in Vegas last week were their best in years IMO. Can't wait for the SOULFLY too, though I'd rather buy shares in Toyota than invest in a new Drowning Pool album...

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting to read the reviews of this in the weeks music press. Kerrang! gave this the maximum KKKKK's but did have a revealing interview with Matt Tuck saying how disappointed they were with the last album, in terms of song quality (which was poor after the opening few songs) and the vocals (which were shocking). He didn't mention the soulless production, but other than that he nailed the weaknesses perfectly. Metal Hammer's review (gave it 6/10) summed-up my feelings on this band by saying this is 'Heavy Metal for pop fans' and that most genuine Metal fans are going to prefer bands that 'bleed Heavy Metal' (like Trivium/Machine Head). Bullet... prefer being called a 'Rock' band. Anyway, whereas I'll never be their biggest fan I still hope they can have a few more songs like "Eye of the Storm" or "Waking the Demon" on this new album, and less bloody ballads...

Interesting to read the reviews of this in the weeks music press. Kerrang! gave this the maximum KKKKK's but did have a revealing interview with Matt Tuck saying how disappointed they were with the last album, in terms of song quality (which was poor after the opening few songs) and the vocals (which were shocking). He didn't mention the soulless production, but other than that he nailed the weaknesses perfectly. Metal Hammer's review (gave it 6/10) summed-up my feelings on this band by saying this is 'Heavy Metal for pop fans' and that most genuine Metal fans are going to prefer bands that 'bleed Heavy Metal' (like Trivium/Machine Head). Bullet... prefer being called a 'Rock' band. Anyway, whereas I'll never be their biggest fan I still hope they can have a few more songs like "Eye of the Storm" or "Waking the Demon" on this new album, and less bloody ballads...

if bullet do rock then i'll be happy....wouldnt really want it to get any heavier than ive heard....a whole album of that and i'd be pleased

Yeah, I will avoid arguments about how metal they are or what the "metal crowd" think of them because that kind of shit makes me want to break things everywhere. All I know is I love the new songs I've heard and cannot wait to hear the album. Whether it's classified as rock or metal, or if "true metal" fans dislike, I really could not possibly care less. :)

Yeah, I will avoid arguments about how metal they are or what the "metal crowd" think of them because that kind of shit makes me want to break things everywhere. All I know is I love the new songs I've heard and cannot wait to hear the album. Whether it's classified as rock or metal, or if "true metal" fans dislike, I really could not possibly care less. :)

But that really sums up why you like this band and I don't. You and Glen like all-things Modern Rock and I like Modern Metal, and this band kinda fall somewhere between the two. I can see that this band have a ton more melody than bands like TRIVIUM or KILLSWITCH which is why you guys prefer them (plus the lack of screaming vocals), but my tastes are a little more aggressive so I'm always listening wishing they would throw-in a breakdown or too. IMO there's little difference between some of BULLET'S... mid-tempo tunes (like "Hearts Burst Into Fire") and stuff like LOSTPROPHETS.

Still, I won't argue with you that the new songs sound pretty damn good...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I heard a really scrappy advance of 'Fever', complete with chopped up songs and all, but I got a good feel for the album regardless. This is the final track list:

1. "Your Betrayal" 4:51

2. "Fever" 3:57

3. "The Last Fight" 4:19

4. "A Place Where You Belong" 5:07

5. "Pleasure and Pain" 3:53

6. "Alone" 5:56

7. "Breaking Out, Breaking Down" 4:04

8. "Bittersweet Memories" 5:09

9. "Dignity" 4:29

10. "Begging for Mercy" 3:56

11. "Pretty on the Outside" 3:56

To be honest, I thought it sounded great and it easily slots into the 2nd place spot for my top 10 modern rock albums of 2010... but that's not really saying much, is it? :lol: I do think it's a good CD but it's probably not going to turn any doubters.

The things I like most about it is the fact that there is pretty much NO screaming on it at all, bar one or two lines on the whole thing. The rhythm guitar is awesome, and by far the best on any of their CDs yet. And the solos I heard sounded killer too. Production is good, and not as artificial as in the past. The two ballads, especially "Bittersweet Memories", are outstanding. There are no fillers at all, not even really a hint of one. Each track is definitely there for a reason. But that said, I guess I could probably admit there are few outright take-your-pants-off-and-stroke-it gems either. A lot of very good or good songs, but nothing to really blow the roof off the joint. That said, I have only heard it on my Ipod and I look forward to a full-blown blasting in my car when I have the full thing. My thoughts may change then.

I'll refrain from more commentary until I've heard the full thing properly, but first spin impressions are that it is a great album... just not mind-blowing.

Okay, 2nd spin and maybe I was a little laid back on the first post. Not only is 'Bittersweet Memories' outstanding, but it's probably the best ballad I have heard this year... in direct competition with Crazy Lixx's 'What of our love'. But this is one sensational song. The chorus is just perfect. The other ballad, 'A Place Where You Belong', although missing the stellar chorus is not far off either. The three songs already posted above are three of the strongest on the CD and all rate real high with me. 'Pleasure and Pain', 'Breaking Out, Breaking Down', 'Dignity' and 'Pretty on the Outside' are all killer hard rockers too. Which only leaves 'Fever', which funnily enough (being the title track) is pretty easily the weakest song on here. I think it's the most (only?) pretty sexual song I've heard from these guys. As I said, there are no fillers on this CD and I actually still very much like this song... it's just the chorus is very, very plain and subdued. And the other unmentioned song, 'Alone' is a good one too, but I'd rate it 2nd weakest. Good fast moving rocker with a strong chorus.

Overall, I have to admit that this is probably going to compete with SOTY (for me alone, I'm well aware) for modern rock album of the year. Super consistent, just like SOTY, and it remains to be seen after a few spins which CD I lean towards. It must be said that 'Bittersweet Memories' is the best song from both CDs. :)

• 4 weeks later...

So I've been living with this one for a while, and I have to say it's the weakest album I've bought so far in 2010. It's not horrible, but simply is just reasonably solid but with no real standout tunes whatsoever. It's a bit more gritty than the soulless last album, almost like a combination of the first two discs, but without the best songs from those discs (i.e, there's nothing as good as "Tears Don't Fall" or "Waking the Demon" on here). "Your Betrayal" (though the verses are garbage) and "Alone" are probably my fave tunes, along with "A Place Where You Belong". That said, the title track is absolute first-rate dogshit. Really pathetic teenage stuff. They're clearly aiming for radio airplay instead of geniune rock credibility with this album, which is a shame as they have some talent, but they do all of this without any real songwriting ability IMO. The production is pretty strong though, and this is still an improvement over their trainwreck of a last album, but it's pretty mediocre stuff so save your money.

• 9 years later...

Never really did this band, but somehow ended up with this album so giving it a go.

Your Betrayal
The Last Fight
A Place Where You Belong
Pleasure And Pain
Bittersweet Memories
Breaking Out, Breaking Down

all great songs.

Will have to check out more from them.
A lot like Sonic Syndicate for me.