Various Shows in Vegas (Steel Panther, Sevendust...)

TIM (2)

Just got back from Vegas and saw these shows....

SEVENDUST (with DROWNING POOL, THE FLOOD, DIGITAL SUMMER)

Once I'd struggled through the rubbish support acts (Drowning Pool SUCK) then I was amazed at how popular Sevendust are in the U.S, there was a massive crowd for this gig & everyone seemed to know all the tunes. I only own their first few albums and their later stuff is noticeably heavier and more aggressive sounding. They have a LOT of killer tunes and some killer guitarists but the vocalist lacks a bit of stage-presence and takes a backseat to the musicians. Plus the ballad-medley was awful. Otherwise it was a great headline act...

STEEL PANTHER

Have seen their UK show, but in the U.S they focus more on the showy aspect and less on the music (they only really play about 9-10 songs in their nearly-2 hour slot). It's actually a pretty entertaining show with some great musicianship - the vocalist is killer - though they really ought to play more tunes rather than the endless banter IMO. The sound is great, with the help of some backing tapes, and their covers of Gn'R and Bon Jovi tunes sound great (the big low-point was "Don't Stop Believin'" which was pretty bad). I know the album received mix comments - I personally haven't played it since the week I bought it - but their live show is definitely worth catching...

Thanks for the write up! Sevendust are a great band, but I kinda lost interest after Seasons and when Clint Lowery left. Glad he's back in the band. Great guitarists, and I have to say Morgan Rose is a pretty decent drummer too. What did they play during the ballad melody? I'm guessing Xmas Day, Angel's Son and possibly Skeleton Song were in there? I'll have to try and catch them if they play over here again.

Will have to catch Steel Panther when they're back over here again. Missed them the first time they played sadly. And while the banter is funny, there's enough humour in the songs that I'd rather just here them play.

Thanks for the write up! Sevendust are a great band, but I kinda lost interest after Seasons and when Clint Lowery left. Glad he's back in the band. Great guitarists, and I have to say Morgan Rose is a pretty decent drummer too. What did they play during the ballad melody? I'm guessing Xmas Day, Angel's Son and possibly Skeleton Song were in there? I'll have to try and catch them if they play over here again.

Will have to catch Steel Panther when they're back over here again. Missed them the first time they played sadly. And while the banter is funny, there's enough humour in the songs that I'd rather just here them play.

Yeah I lost interest in Sevendust years ago too but the songs they played from their new album (out in April) were all great, in fact there was barely a duff tune in the whole set. No idea which ballads they played but they were pretty dull IMO. I see a lot of Metal gigs and this one was right up there, only problem is the bloody awful support bands you have to trawl through (a mixture of awful nu-Metal and Industrial bands) as I really wish I'd just shown-up for the main act. I honestly had no idea Sevendust were that big in the States as in the UK no-one's heard of them and I don't even think they have a record deal here...

Yeah I lost interest in Sevendust years ago too but the songs they played from their new album (out in April) were all great

Looks like I'll be picking up their new album next month and finger's crossed that they do come across the pond. They're signed to Asylum records who are owned by Warner Bros. so it may see a release over here.

I honestly had no idea Sevendust were that big in the States as in the UK no-one's heard of them

Well some nu-metal buddies back in school liked them during the Home/Animosity era but no one was really a big fan, and they probably lost interest over time.

lol, what a combo. You'd have to pay me about $20 to sit through Sevendust whereas I'd pretty much pay for Steel Panther's airline tickets if they wanted to play for me in Australia. :lol: Glad you enjoyed the show mate.

Out of curiosity, how were Digital Summer? Just got their albums recently and although they're not amazing they've very consistent and I'd personally take them over Sevendust 80 times over, times 80.

Just got back from Vegas and saw these shows....

SEVENDUST (with DROWNING POOL, THE FLOOD, DIGITAL SUMMER)

Once I'd struggled through the rubbish support acts (Drowning Pool SUCK) then I was amazed at how popular Sevendust are in the U.S, there was a massive crowd for this gig & everyone seemed to know all the tunes. I only own their first few albums and their later stuff is noticeably heavier and more aggressive sounding. They have a LOT of killer tunes and some killer guitarists but the vocalist lacks a bit of stage-presence and takes a backseat to the musicians. Plus the ballad-medley was awful. Otherwise it was a great headline act...

STEEL PANTHER

Have seen their UK show, but in the U.S they focus more on the showy aspect and less on the music (they only really play about 9-10 songs in their nearly-2 hour slot). It's actually a pretty entertaining show with some great musicianship - the vocalist is killer - though they really ought to play more tunes rather than the endless banter IMO. The sound is great, with the help of some backing tapes, and their covers of Gn'R and Bon Jovi tunes sound great (the big low-point was "Don't Stop Believin'" which was pretty bad). I know the album received mix comments - I personally haven't played it since the week I bought it - but their live show is definitely worth catching...

Yeah the Panther show in London had a lot of banter as well. Whilst it is funny, I would have preferred an extra couple of tunes. 'I Want Your Tits' and 'We Want Pussy' were massive omissions for starters.

Great live band tho.

lol, what a combo. You'd have to pay me about $20 to sit through Sevendust whereas I'd pretty much pay for Steel Panther's airline tickets if they wanted to play for me in Australia. :lol: Glad you enjoyed the show mate.

Out of curiosity, how were Digital Summer? Just got their albums recently and although they're not amazing they've very consistent and I'd personally take them over Sevendust 80 times over, times 80.

Digital Summer were pretty weak, and the vocalist was a twat (as he tried to crack onto my missus after the gig!). Very little stage presence and tunes that all sounded pretty much the same as eachother.

Sorry but SEVENDUST were better than STEEL PANTHER. SP played about 4 songs from their own disc then some covers, and I think they suffered through not having enough of their own material. Once they have a few albums under their belt and cut-down the 30 minute slots of banter then I think they'll be a HUGE live band, but until then - as good as they are - they can't compete with an artist that has a full 2-hour set of quality tunes.

Digital Summer were pretty weak, and the vocalist was a twat (as he tried to crack onto my missus after the gig!). Very little stage presence and tunes that all sounded pretty much the same as eachother.

Sorry but SEVENDUST were better than STEEL PANTHER. SP played about 4 songs from their own disc then some covers, and I think they suffered through not having enough of their own material. Once they have a few albums under their belt and cut-down the 30 minute slots of banter then I think they'll be a HUGE live band, but until then - as good as they are - they can't compete with an artist that has a full 2-hour set of quality tunes.

Wow, 4 songs is pretty lame. Must have been for the Vegas audience who probably prefer a few more covers etc. In London they were obviously promoting the album cos I reckon they played about 11-12 songs and probably only one was a cover......from memory....might have been 2?? But there was a least double figures of their own tunes. Way too much posing and banter for me tho

Wow, 4 songs is pretty lame. Must have been for the Vegas audience who probably prefer a few more covers etc. In London they were obviously promoting the album cos I reckon they played about 11-12 songs and probably only one was a cover......from memory....might have been 2?? But there was a least double figures of their own tunes. Way too much posing and banter for me tho

Have just checked out the setlist and it was 5 of their own songs (in a 2 hour set). This and they played 3 GUNS N' ROSES covers. Their own tunes were: "Eyes of a Panther", "Turn Out the Lights", "Party All Day", "Community Property", "Girl From Oklahoma". No title-track, no "Fat Girl" or "Asian Hooker" - which are probably my fave 2 tunes. Like I said, a bit less banter and a few more albums (and good songs) down the track and they'll be awesome IMO.

Yeah, that actually sounds pretty disappointing. If I went to see Steel Panther I'd be far more interested in hearing original songs than banter and covers. That said, I would still rather sit through one Steel Panther song and two hours of silence over 2 hours worth of Sevendust songs. ;) What's the saying about quality over quantity? :)

Haha about the Digital Summer dude. What a twat! :lol: Did you enter your fist into his face? Yeah, I can totally understand what you're saying about all their songs sounding the same. As I said, they're consistent, but that's probably because they don't do anything different from song to song. :lol: Still, not an awful band imo.

Here is the set list from London 09 -

Eyes Of A Panther

Asian Hooker

Fat Girl

Community Property

** solo **

Hells On Fire

Girl From Oklahoma

The Shocker

Stripper Girl

Death To All But Metal

Turn Out The Lights

Encore :

Panama

Kickstart My Heart

was pretty awesome actually.

Cheers

Eyes Of A Panther

Asian Hooker

Fat Girl

Community Property

** solo **

Hells On Fire

Girl From Oklahoma

The Shocker

Stripper Girl

Death To All But Metal

Turn Out The Lights

Encore :

Panama

Kickstart My Heart

Cheers

12 Songs throughout one show! Jesus - whoever it was, i'd demand my money back. With the price of tickets these days, that is truly shocking for any band.

Eyes Of A Panther

Asian Hooker

Fat Girl

Community Property

** solo **

Hells On Fire

Girl From Oklahoma

The Shocker

Stripper Girl

Death To All But Metal

Turn Out The Lights

Encore :

Panama

Kickstart My Heart

Cheers

12 Songs throughout one show! Jesus - whoever it was, i'd demand my money back. With the price of tickets these days, that is truly shocking for any band.

Really....I thought it was pretty standard for a band with one album.

You gotta remember that they banter with the audience for about 2-3 minutes between each song - which is pretty hilarious first time around (not sure about the longevity of this banter tho) - so the gig did seem a lot longer.

Anyway for less than £15 (I think from memeory the tickets were £12 + fees) you can hardly grumble....I bet your band charges more than that ;)

[even now they have moved up to Brixton Academy the tickets for tomorrows show are only £16 face value...one thing this band cannot be accused of is ripping the fans off]

Eyes Of A Panther

Asian Hooker

Fat Girl

Community Property

** solo **

Hells On Fire

Girl From Oklahoma

The Shocker

Stripper Girl

Death To All But Metal

Turn Out The Lights

Encore :

Panama

Kickstart My Heart

Cheers

Anyway for less than £15 (I think from memeory the tickets were £12 + fees) you can hardly grumble....I bet your band charges more than that ;)

You paid £15 for a glorified covers band? - you've been ripped off mate ;) If we charged 15 quid for a ticket, you would get a damn sight more than 12 poxy songs I can guarantee you. We do 20-25 a night as it is, for free.

[even now they have moved up to Brixton Academy the tickets for tomorrows show are only £16 face value...one thing this band cannot be accused of is ripping the fans off]

Yep agree with this. As much as I still believe the album is somewhat overhyped, their live show is corking entertainment as long as you know what to expect & remember this is how 80's rock shows were. I.e, fun & entertaining, without the usual Modern Rock/Metal quota of 20-25 songs per gig and with a lot of good on-stage banter.

In terms of tonights show, I know the band are disappointed they can't play more gigs here actually as they'd probably sell-out quite a few shows - but these weekly gigs in L.A and Vegas have them locked-in. Definitely a recommended show IMO...

Eyes Of A Panther

Asian Hooker

Fat Girl

Community Property

** solo **

Hells On Fire

Girl From Oklahoma

The Shocker

Stripper Girl

Death To All But Metal

Turn Out The Lights

Encore :

Panama

Kickstart My Heart

Cheers

You paid £15 for a glorified covers band? - you've been ripped off mate ;) If we charged 15 quid for a ticket, you would get a damn sight more than 12 poxy songs I can guarantee you. We do 20-25 a night as it is, for free.

The fact of the matter is mate that £15 is probably the lowest price Ive paid for a ticket in about 10 years....so no i dont feel ripped off at all. Esp as they are one of the best live bands ive seen recently.

As Tim says, kick arse playing, the singer pisses on most vocalists ive seen and hilarious banter to boot. £15 is a steal.

Eyes Of A Panther

Asian Hooker

Fat Girl

Community Property

** solo **

Hells On Fire

Girl From Oklahoma

The Shocker

Stripper Girl

Death To All But Metal

Turn Out The Lights

Encore :

Panama

Kickstart My Heart

Cheers

The fact of the matter is mate that £15 is probably the lowest price Ive paid for a ticket in about 10 years....so no i dont feel ripped off at all. Esp as they are one of the best live bands ive seen recently.

As Tim says, kick arse playing, the singer pisses on most vocalists ive seen and hilarious banter to boot. £15 is a steal.

£15 is about the going-rate for a non-arena venue though. Aren't they playing at Brixton? I saw Machine Head there 3 weeks ago and it was about that price for nearly 4 hours (and 4 bands). Most concerts I see these days cost £15-£17, unless you pay stupid prices for Wembley Arena or the O2. I can't complain about the amount of entertainment-per-£ at a SP concert though, especially as I know they're playing more tunes than they did in Vegas (including "I Want Pussy")...

Eyes Of A Panther

Asian Hooker

Fat Girl

Community Property

** solo **

Hells On Fire

Girl From Oklahoma

The Shocker

Stripper Girl

Death To All But Metal

Turn Out The Lights

Encore :

Panama

Kickstart My Heart

Cheers

£15 is about the going-rate for a non-arena venue though. Aren't they playing at Brixton? I saw Machine Head there 3 weeks ago and it was about that price for nearly 4 hours (and 4 bands). Most concerts I see these days cost £15-£17, unless you pay stupid prices for Wembley Arena or the O2. I can't complain about the amount of entertainment-per-£ at a SP concert though, especially as I know they're playing more tunes than they did in Vegas (including "I Want Pussy")...

Yeah its tonight i think. Im not going tho.

I think the actual face value of 2009 SP ticket was £12....which is pretty damned good really. Most gigs you end up spending about £20 I guess after fees and P&P etc.

I wont see them again tho until have have another album out. I guess we will have to wait and see if that ever happens??