No More FOOD NETWORK?

Fat Freddy

sexy-rachael-ray.jpg

giada-delaurentiis-3-08073.jpg

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/01/c...od_network.html

OK, now that I have your attention... :lol:

Imagine our surprise when we turned on Food Network yesterday morning and saw a message from Cablevision saying that effective immediately, it will no longer be carrying the channel (or its sister network, HGTV) due to a contract/fees dispute with the owners of the channels, Scripps Network.

Needless to say, my wife sh*t a solid gold brick. (She's Rachael Ray's biggest fan.) Cablevision's agreement with Scripps to carry the channels ran out at midnight on Dec. 31st and when they couldn't come to new terms, Cablevision dropped'em both.

So my wife's pissed, and I'm not too happy either. I actually enjoy a lot of the stuff on Food Network too (i.e. "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives," "Iron Chef," "Dinner Impossible," and of course, those endless looks down Giada DeLaurentiis' cleavage during her cooking shows), and when there was nothing else on TV it was usually a good "fall-back" channel, especially during the daytime when my wife is home with the kids. (She can only watch so many consecutive hours of "SpongeBob" y'know...)

I hope the two parties come to terms soon and bring this channel back. It probably wouldn't be good for either side if it turns into a prolonged battle. Eventually Rachael Ray would command her armada of 30 Minute Mealers to descend on the headquarters of both Cablevision and Scripps, armed with pitchforks, flaming spatulas and barrels of boiling hot EVOO... and then it would just get ugly.

Anyone else in this area missing this channel already? I could honestly care less about HGTV, but not having Food Network is going to suck very quickly. :blink:

I've seen messages before where there might be problems with Fox but they've never got to the point where the network has been dropped.

Yea, Fox was running ads for the last week or so of the year warning that their channels were in danger of being dropped from Time Warner cable systems as of Jan. 1st, but supposedly they were able to iron it out with them at the last minute.

The Food Network/Cablevision thing came outta nowhere though. My wife watches Food Network all the time and we knew nothing about it till we tuned in yesterday to a blank screen with a message on it.

We don't have a problem with those channels, but Time Warner (our "venerable" cable television provider), has been running ads for months proclaiming that Fox is raising fees and they are not going to pay them (and pass on the price increase to their customers). I don't know when the "shit" is supposed to hit the fan, but theoretically (maybe even today; haven't turned on the TV yet), we (TW customers all over, I guess) could be without Fox, FX, and any of their subsidiaries, of which I have no clue but I'm sure something I love.

So, basically, no NFL playoffs, no 24 (when it starts back up), and if this drags on too long, no FX series when they kick back in. (I'd like to think it'd be solved long before "Sunny", "Rescue Me", or "SOA" start back up, but with TW, who the hell knows!

If my cable company ever dropped Fox, I'd find out where their execs lived, buy a bazooka and blow their houses up. Nobody separates me from my Simpsons!! :flame:

Same crap that is going on between Directv and Versus network (owned by rival Comcast). The word was it would be ironed out in time for hockey season (last October), yet here it is Jan 1st and still no deal and no Versus channel. Be prepared for a long wait with no Rachael!

If my cable company ever dropped Fox, I'd find out where their execs lived, buy a bazooka and blow their houses up. Nobody separates me from my Simpsons!! :flame:

Oh yeah. I forgot about Family Guy!

I'm not one of those "active"/up in arms folks that will actively participate in making their lives hell, and TBH, I really don't care about the playoffs. (Don't know if Fox has the SB this year or not, but again, it's not like I couldn't go somewhere.) But, if 24 returns or Family Guy has new eps, I could get upset. If they try to make me miss any of the FX shows, though, it might be a time for a switch to Direct TV. (Or, my brother mentioned some service from AT&T or something. I might do some research.)

Oh yeah. I forgot about Family Guy!

I'm not one of those "active"/up in arms folks that will actively participate in making their lives hell, and TBH, I really don't care about the playoffs. (Don't know if Fox has the SB this year or not, but again, it's not like I couldn't go somewhere.) But, if 24 returns or Family Guy has new eps, I could get upset. If they try to make me miss any of the FX shows, though, it might be a time for a switch to Direct TV. (Or, my brother mentioned some service from AT&T or something. I might do some research.)

I think 24 starts back in a couple of weeks.

I tried the DirecTV route a couple of years ago. We wanted to dump Cablevision altogether and signed up for Verizon's equivalent of their "Triple Play" package (i.e. cable TV, phone, and Internet service all rolled into one deal -- think they even threw our cell phone coverage in there too). Since Verizon's "FiOS" fiber optic service hasn't reached our area yet, they had some kind of side-door deal with DirecTV for customers who couldn't get FiOS. The DirecTV guy came to my house, went up on my roof with the dish and all kinds of scanners and other tools, walked back and forth for over an hour pointing the damn thing in every direction he could think of, but couldn't get a clear signal due to all the trees surrounding my property. So much for that idea. We ended up having to keep Cablevision for TV cuz they're the only game in town. :(

I tried the DirecTV route a couple of years ago. We wanted to dump Cablevision altogether and signed up for Verizon's equivalent of their "Triple Play" package (i.e. cable TV, phone, and Internet service all rolled into one deal -- think they even threw our cell phone coverage in there too). Since Verizon's "FiOS" fiber optic service hasn't reached our area yet, they had some kind of side-door deal with DirecTV for customers who couldn't get FiOS. The DirecTV guy came to my house, went up on my roof with the dish and all kinds of scanners and other tools, walked back and forth for over an hour pointing the damn thing in every direction he could think of, but couldn't get a clear signal due to all the trees surrounding my property. So much for that idea. We ended up having to keep Cablevision for TV cuz they're the only game in town. :(

That's what sucks! I'm wondering if I wouldn't fall into the same type of deal. I've never tried to get DirecTV here, but I could see the exact same thing happening. Also, I don't know if, other than TWC and DirecTV, there are any other options.

Absolutely stinks, the monopoly these cable companies have over areas. If open competition is how businesses compete, when no other company is available, these cable companies can just bend you over and make you take it. Totally ridiculous!

That's what sucks! I'm wondering if I wouldn't fall into the same type of deal. I've never tried to get DirecTV here, but I could see the exact same thing happening. Also, I don't know if, other than TWC and DirecTV, there are any other options.

Absolutely stinks, the monopoly these cable companies have over areas. If open competition is how businesses compete, when no other company is available, these cable companies can just bend you over and make you take it. Totally ridiculous!

I have the same problem here with Bresnan Cable.

I live in an area where they can't get reception for Sattelite due to some hill or trees or something blocking the signal.

I still have those channels. I like some of the shows on there and would be bummed out if Comcrap dumped them. If FOX ever got dropped like that, I think I would take me out some execs with a nice UZI.... :sm164:

• 2 weeks later...

The Cablevision Vs. Scripps prick-waving contest is now entering its third week.

Scripps has been taking out ads on other channels and in newspapers proclaiming Cablevision to be run by Satan himself, while Cablevision continues to run a crawl on the two channels formerly occupied by HGTV and Food Network about how the Scripps Network are "holding you, the viewer, hostage."

... it just makes me wanna puke. :puke:

Welp, after three weeks the standoff is over. Food Network returned to Cablevision on Thursday night. Thank goodness! I was going into "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" withdrawal! :whistle:

Welp, after three weeks the standoff is over. Food Network returned to Cablevision on Thursday night. Thank goodness! I was going into "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" withdrawal! :whistle:

Ah One of MY favorite shows..... :tumbsup:

Though I THINK You were missing Rachael Ray just a lil bit more...... :whistle:

Well, sure. Rachael is way cuter than Guy Fieri. :whistle:

Although I wouldn't mind hanging out with Guy and having a few beers in some of those "dives" -- he looks like he knows how to party!

Well, sure. Rachael is way cuter than Guy Fieri. :whistle:

Although I wouldn't mind hanging out with Guy and having a few beers in some of those "dives" -- he looks like he knows how to party!

Yea I would enjoy hanging out with Guy at one of them dives He finds.. Good food and good fun..... :tumbsup:

• 2023 Gold Donors

Excellente! :tumbsup: Let the :wacko: of Rachael, Giadia & your other faves :tits: resume! :bananamac: Dive in & dine til your content! ;)

• 1 month later...

Here we go again folks... now Cablevision is in a pissing match with Disney (owner of ABC) over broadcast rates/fees so we may lose the local ABC affiliate by the end of this week if they don't come to an agreement. You gotta be f**king kidding me. If they yank that channel and I can no longer see "LOST" I am gonna be SOOOOOPER pissed.

...and before anyone points out "dude, no sweat, you can just watch "Lost" on Hulu or ABC.com the next day," I realize that... but it's the principle of the thing. My cable bill keeps going up and up and up, yet I lose channels because a couple of millionaires up in their ivory tower are too busy having a prick-waving contest to think of their customers.

Cablevision is evil. Then again, so is Disney. I'm not sure who to root for on this one.

Here we go again folks... now Cablevision is in a pissing match with Disney (owner of ABC) over broadcast rates/fees so we may lose the local ABC affiliate by the end of this week if they don't come to an agreement. You gotta be f**king kidding me. If they yank that channel and I can no longer see "LOST" I am gonna be SOOOOOPER pissed.

...and before anyone points out "dude, no sweat, you can just watch "Lost" on Hulu or ABC.com the next day," I realize that... but it's the principle of the thing. My cable bill keeps going up and up and up, yet I lose channels because a couple of millionaires up in their ivory tower are too busy having a prick-waving contest to think of their customers.

Cablevision is evil. Then again, so is Disney. I'm not sure who to root for on this one.

Dude that sucks big time. I can't even imagine if I couldn't see Lost or any of my fav shows for that matter.

Dude that sucks big time. I can't even imagine if I couldn't see Lost or any of my fav shows for that matter.

Remember the good old days, when major broadcast networks were FREE?? Something tells me that Cablevision and/or Disney doesn't.

Seriously, if that station gets yanked, imagine HOW PISSED people are going to be. Food Network was one thing; yea, it had tons of fans, but was still a so-called "niche" station catering to one particular thing. ABC is all things to all people. If they yank it, little old ladies will be pissed because they can't watch "Wheel of Fortune" or their favorite soap opera, and millions of "Losties" will be rioting in the streets. Disney execs will wake up on Sunday morning to find them all gathered at the front gates of the Magic Kingdom, waving torches and pitchforks...

...Actually, that would be pretty cool. :flame:

Welp, they did it, the rat bastards... .as of 12:01 AM today, the local ABC affiliate (Channel 7) has been pulled from our cable lineup. Guess I'd better get used to watching "LOST" via the Internet for the time being. :cussing: