Coldrain

Glen

I just downloaded this album off itunes and Im listening to it while I write.

& I must say that Im fucking excited because I think I'm listening to the modern rock album of the year.

This is f kicking my arse to Kingdon come........just listening to the song 24-7 and it is fucking awesome with a capital F.

You know weird thing? They're Japanese! WTF.

You know the better thing..........not one hint of accent anywhere.....seriously these guys could be yanks.....

'Final Destination' the song murders anything on the new Monty Are I - the guitars riffs are seriously killer! Brilliant stuff.

More thoughts later.

http://www.myspace.com/coldrainjapan

Well, that was it, just got to the end of the album. Not a filler in sight. I'd be amazed if repeated listens dont make this end up my fav modern album of the year. Love it.

I'll add a comment so you don't feel like you're talking to yourself.

The 2 samples from their Myspace page sound great. I'd pick it up.

Just had a look around the net to see if I could pick up a copy (blind faith, Glen - lol) but couldn't see anything immediately purchasable. This looks like the best bet:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9y-49-en-70-3jlv.html

Almost au$30 for a CD (postage included) - not going to happen. Amazon.jp is in the early $30's too. I think I'll download it and see how I go first. :)

Or, last option - is there a cheaper link for direct purchase from myspace (can't view myspace at work)?

Very impressive. Exactly what the year needed. I love my top 10, but it's not gone unnoticed that a lot of them are "lighter" pop rock kind of CDs. Great uptempo stuff, which is what I love, but no doubt lacking some balls. One thing modern rock hasn't offered much of in 2010 is good, heavy, hard rocking releases... until now. I can definitely hear some Disciple and more harder rocking influences in these guys. Not sure if it'll make a dent in my top 5, but this should be in my top 10 come year end, I think.

Based purely on first impressions my initial thoughts on what'll keep it out of the top 5 is maybe just a tiny shortage of big melodies / hooks in the first few songs (except the title track). After the opener, 'Just tonight' was the first song that really grabbed me with a huge hook. LOVE that song. And to be clear, I loved the first few songs too - was just looking for some bigger chorus melodies. Other early faves were 'Doors', 'Deja Vu', 'My addiction' and probably my favourite song on the CD, the closer '8AM'.

Love the sound of the CD - good song-writing (including lyrics, which is a bonus from a Japanese band), good vocals, uptempo and hard rocking, great guitarist and a killer, killer production job. Yeah, it'd be hard to fault this one. Great stuff. Nice find mate. Out of curiosity, how did you find this one?

Very impressive. Exactly what the year needed. I love my top 10, but it's not gone unnoticed that a lot of them are "lighter" pop rock kind of CDs. Great uptempo stuff, which is what I love, but no doubt lacking some balls. One thing modern rock hasn't offered much of in 2010 is good, heavy, hard rocking releases... until now. I can definitely hear some Disciple and more harder rocking influences in these guys. Not sure if it'll make a dent in my top 5, but this should be in my top 10 come year end, I think.

Based purely on first impressions my initial thoughts on what'll keep it out of the top 5 is maybe just a tiny shortage of big melodies / hooks in the first few songs (except the title track). After the opener, 'Just tonight' was the first song that really grabbed me with a huge hook. LOVE that song. And to be clear, I loved the first few songs too - was just looking for some bigger chorus melodies. Other early faves were 'Doors', 'Deja Vu', 'My addiction' and probably my favourite song on the CD, the closer '8AM'.

Love the sound of the CD - good song-writing (including lyrics, which is a bonus from a Japanese band), good vocals, uptempo and hard rocking, great guitarist and a killer, killer production job. Yeah, it'd be hard to fault this one. Great stuff. Nice find mate. Out of curiosity, how did you find this one?

You know what, i was thinking the exact same thing about some of the melodies after my first listen, but i must admit after my second listen (this morning on the train), it all clicked even more. I can see these songs being real growers.

The only songs which fall a little short are 'Doors'.....dont get me wrong this is a great hard rock song, but the hook just lets it down a little with the trademark 'Wooahhhs' instead of lyrics. Also 'Survive' was a little samey....although i do love that latino guitar solo.

But overall there's at least 9 killer songs on this - and quite a few gave me a SOTY vibe this morning too....esp towards the end. Songs like 'My Addiction' and 'Painting' I was defiitely thinking SOTY.

Will probably be a close call between this, Monty Are I and New Device for top spot.

But once again I have to say that this and the Latency disc (great album!) and really reinforced for me what a GREAT year its been for modern rock. My top 10, hey even top 15 now are all excellent!

Cheers

Have to agree with Geoff I think my fav track on here is '8AM'; followed by 'Deja Vu'.

1. Final Destination

2. Deja Vu

3. Just Tonight

[but they are all great!]

• 11 months later...

New EP from these guys released this year - 'Nothing lasts forever.'

Tracks:

1. Die Tomorrow

2. We're Not Alone

3. Stuck

4. After Dark

5. The Youth

6. Miss You

Just on track 2 at the minute and I love it. I don't know what it is - a few great songs perhaps, lol - but there's just something I really like about this band. Did anyone ever track down a well priced hard copy of 'Final Destination'? I'd still very much like to add it to the collection.

Downloaded 10 "new" songs from these guy syesterday - the 6 above from 2010, 2 b-sides on the '8AM' Maxi Single and 2 other b-sides from another single. Total of 10 tracks, like a new album for me to hear.

Verdict, all 10 songs were very good to excellent. A lot of those b-sides, for me personally, were better than a lot of songs on the already fine 'Final Destination.' These guys sure have some good songs in 'em!