Loving a band,years after everyone else!

Faron

As I`ve mentioned once or twice, I`m not really or at all, into modern rock, I`m a bit of an old rocker, stuck in a time warp.

Two bands that I`ve really got into over the last couple of years, that others have loved for a decade/s are Kansas and Led Zeppelin.

I do own two John Elefante fronted Kansas albums in Vinyl Confessions and Drastic Measures, these I rated immensely until Jez sent some pre Elefante - Classic Kansas cd`s my way and I can honestly say, it`s some of the best music I`ve ever listened to. All the albums that I`ve so far heard,are very good to fantastic.

I`ve requested a few more of their albums for Christmas, hopefully that will cover all bases.

The other band is Led Zeppelin, I had tried for years to get into this band but to no avail but I`m a believer in that if you want to like something, you`ll persevere!

Now I have all their albums, some fabulous stuff, so many excellent releases.

Anyone else get their eyes opened to some classic vintage stuff?

The other band is Led Zeppelin, I had tried for years to get into this band but to no avail but I`m a believer in that if you want to like something, you`ll persevere!

Wow mate, I'm going to have to personally disagree with you there. I don't think music is something you can force yourself like at all, and personally, quite frankly, I don't know why you'd want to make yourself like something you don't?? ;) Especially and over-hyped band like Zeppelin who already have more than enough fans.

That said, to each their own mate and I'm glad you found your way. As for loving bands years after everyone else, that's pretty much my whole AOR/MHR/glam collection mate! :)

The older you get the more you seem to appreciate the bands like Zep, Purple, Sabbath etc.

I'll aways say that the music from many years ago shits all over the stuff released now !!!!!

As for loving bands years after everyone else, that's pretty much my whole AOR/MHR/glam collection mate! :)

Ha ha ... ! Sounds familiar ! Same here, to a large extent.

Wow mate, I'm going to have to personally disagree with you there. I don't think music is something you can force yourself like at all, and personally, quite frankly, I don't know why you'd want to make yourself like something you don't?? ;) Especially and over-hyped band like Zeppelin who already have more than enough fans.

Geoff, what I didn`t mention was that I liked some Zeppelin songs and persevered enough to really like the rest of their stuff! I could probably get into most things if I really had the inclination, not enough hours in the day. :lol:

The older you get the more you seem to appreciate the bands like Zep, Purple, Sabbath etc.

I'll aways say that the music from many years ago shits all over the stuff released now !!!!!

Agreed and agreed Dave, the good old days.... :tumbsup:

• My Little Pony
As for loving bands years after everyone else, that's pretty much my whole AOR/MHR/glam collection mate! :)

Ha ha ... ! Sounds familiar ! Same here, to a large extent.

In my case it's loving music my generation is completely ignorant towards. It's hard being the one true rocker in my group of friends. That's why I have you boys and girls.

There are loads of albums that I used to not really rate too highly at the time, or just didn't bother listening to, but now, after repeated listenings, they have definitely improved with age shall we say. I'm not saying I forced my self to like them, but something about them have struck a chord gradually over the years - (the same can be said in the opposite aswell for certain bands/albums aswell it must be said. Some discs I play now and go WTF was that, why did I used to like that so much!!). Zeppelin and Sabbath are 2 examples of the former, Scorpions are another. I loved the Dio era stuff, but only occassionally listened to the Ozzy period. With Zeppelin and the Scorps, I stuck to the same 2 or 3 albums and only in the last 10 years or so branched out to the others . Now they are all pretty much regulars to the old player and I am really glad I persevered with them all to be honest.

Hmmm... interesting topic. I tell people all the time "I listen to bands that nobody's ever heard of, or that they forgot about 20 years ago" all the time. :lol: Seems like I'm always making "new" discoveries that may not be "new" to everyone else but they are to me...

Two examples:

By the time I got into the Ramones it was the late 80s and they were already considered well past their prime by then. I was dimly aware of them as a kid in the late 70s cuz I had a cousin who was a fan, but I didn't get whole hog into them till '87 or so when I happened to see their movie "Rock N Roll High School" on TV one Sunday afternoon and it prompted me to go looking up some of their albums. I started with the RAMONES MANIA compilation and the rest is history, as they say. They've been one of my favorite bands ever since then.

I also didn't discover Helstar till about three years ago even though they've been around since the mid 80s. I did some CD-R trading with another member here when I first joined H.H. (can't even remember who the hell it was now) and he hooked me up with a copy of Helstar's A DISTANT THUNDER. That was it, I was hooked!! I became a complete and total James Rivera (vocalist) Fanboy. I have since tracked down most of Helstar's discography and have collected a whole bunch of CDs by other bands/projects he's been in (Destiny's End, Killing Machine, Distant Thunder, Seven Witches) besides.