Opinions on Foreigner - Can`t Slow Down

Faron

It came today and I`ve listened to it twice so far, I don`t generally get a feel for an album until around 20 years later - Alias, Rush - Hold Your Fire etc spring to mind. :lol:

Kelly Hansen sounds pretty good, shades of Lou Gramm, which appeals to me. B)

I`ve read varying reviews on this album and the biggest consensus of opinion is that the album is too light weight, too many ballads, not enough rocking tracks. :unsure:

Too Late is a track that I know and like and also a revamp of the classic - Fool For You Anyway from their superb self titled album. :drink:

The rest I`ll just have to keep playing.

I`ve noticed a couple in here who`ve posted in the cd spinning today section, Wes and can`t remember the other??

What does everyone think or I`m guessing it`s early days yet?

After two spins now I have to say this is a very good album.

Sure it could of rocked a little more but you can't say any of the songs are bad and more than half of them are killer IMO.

As mentioned in another thread I mostly bought this for Pilson and Hansen's involement but am very impressed by the new tunes and the live DVD footage.

As mentioned in another thread I mostly bought this for Pilson and Hansen's involement

Yeah, this is what's going to get me off my ass to check this out soon. I haven't really had any interest in it, but really should check it out.

Saw them perform "Cant Slow Down" on the Nascar race Sunday. They Rocked!! Ive always loved Kelley's vocals in all he has done. And Have enjoyed Foreigner since their first album. Yes, I was waiting in the music sectionsof an AAFES Post Exchange in Vicenza Italy when they displayed them. That first Album Kicked Ass!!

Im really enjoying the sound of Cant Slow Down. The only disappointment for me is that the whole thing (every track) doesnt rock hard. But I guess you got to have those Foreigner ballads in there too. Nothing wrong with them!! ;)

I have spun it a couple of times and really like it. I really feel like I am listening to Foreigner with Gramm. Kelly Hansen does a fantastic job on vocals and the band is really tight. I would have loved the 2nd cd to have been the re- recordings of the hits with Kelly instead of re-mixes. Still Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On a side note I was watching the live DVD one afternoon while me and my daughters were cooking dinner and the song "I want to know what love is" came on. My youngest (15) said why did they cover Mariah Carey? Obviously I still have some work to do.

Sandy

This is probably the dullest album I've heard all year (joint with House of Lords). Weak vocals, very few hooks, & I honestly have no idea why this band bother anymore.

P.s. Turning 36 has made me a right miserable git. :D

Wait til you get to my age, it gets worse! :lol:

We'll let you know!! :whistle:

We'll let you know!! :whistle:

I`m feeling old at the moment but still enjoying this album! :guitbannana:

I kinda like it. Like Wes, I'm only here for Hansen and Pilson (though to be honest I didn't even know Pilson was in the band until I saw that yesterday... so really, I'm just hear for Hansen... I mean, who really cares about the bass player anyway? :lol:) but it's not bad. The only other Foreigner album I actually like is 'Mr Moonlight' and whilst this is probably not quite up to that standard, it's not bad. The "rockers" are pretty nice but not all great, and I quite like a few of these ballads, especially the 2nd song on the CD.

I'll comment at more depth after some more spins, but so far it's not bad. One big problem early on for me, though, is the trumpets and whatever other brass is featured. Not cool at all.

I kinda like it. Like Wes, I'm only here for Hansen and Pilson (though to be honest I didn't even know Pilson was in the band until I saw that yesterday... so really, I'm just hear for Hansen... I mean, who really cares about the bass player anyway? :lol:) but it's not bad. The only other Foreigner album I actually like is 'Mr Moonlight' and whilst this is probably not quite up to that standard, it's not bad. The "rockers" are pretty nice but not all great, and I quite like a few of these ballads, especially the 2nd song on the CD.

I'll comment at more depth after some more spins, but so far it's not bad. One big problem early on for me, though, is the trumpets and whatever other brass is featured. Not cool at all.

Foreigner has always had the occasional Saxophone solo and other brass instruments througout their career so that's not a big deal to me plus I didn't even notice it was on this disc until you mentioned it. :anon:

Foreigner has always had the occasional Saxophone solo and other brass instruments througout their career so that's not a big deal to me plus I didn't even notice it was on this disc until you mentioned it. :anon:

Oh, it's there, cousin. It's there. :( If it's always been there on Foreigner albums, that's probably a huge reason I don't like their back catalogue.

Oh, it's there, cousin. It's there. :( If it's always been there on Foreigner albums, that's probably a huge reason I don't like their back catalogue.

I don't think I'd ever buy all of thier releases but they had soooo many great songs over the years but I'll stick with the greatest hits or best of releases for now.

This is probably the dullest album I've heard all year (joint with House of Lords). Weak vocals, very few hooks, & I honestly have no idea why this band bother anymore.

Sometimes I have trouble figuring you out Tim. :unsure:

I'm inconsistent and opinionated. Is what makes me interesting. :P

Plus I'm kinda bored with AOR now unless it's truly killer (like Brother Firetribe/Work of Art/Place Vendome). If you can't release an album that's better and more advanced than the stuff you made in the 80's then why even release one?

Played disc 2 today - The Remixes, all great songs, didn`t really notice any differences though!

Sometimes I have trouble figuring you out Tim. :unsure:

I'm inconsistent and opinionated. Is what makes me interesting. :P

Plus I'm kinda bored with AOR now unless it's truly killer (like Brother Firetribe/Work of Art/Place Vendome). If you can't release an album that's better and more advanced than the stuff you made in the 80's then why even release one?

Tim you sound unhappy with your choices in music my friend. What you need to do is go on Full Blown Metal. Join the dark side. become a Metal Head!!! :banger: fuck ya!!!!! :D

'In peices', 'I'll Be Home Tonight' and 'Angel Tonight' are three fantastic songs. I have to admit, of the rest it doesn't really get too much better than just good ranging down to downright filler. As I said, I don't mind the disc but it's pretty slim pickings.

I forgot to say, but I agree with the other guys wishing the 2nd disc was all re-recorded versions of the old songs, like what Journey did.

As for the "too many ballads" comment, all three tunes I like from this album are ballads, so I'd hate to see where it'd be without them. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

As it currently stands for me, it`s an okay album, nothing srikes me as particularly outstanding, bordering on blandness.

Bearing in mind it takes me a long time to get into songs/albums, hopefully the songs will grow on me!

As it currently stands for me, it`s an okay album, nothing srikes me as particularly outstanding, bordering on blandness.

Bearing in mind it takes me a long time to get into songs/albums, hopefully the songs will grow on me!

I'm still liking it quite a bit and it's currently in my top 10 as you can see in the 2009 fav album thread.

I'm still liking it quite a bit and it's currently in my top 10 as you can see in the 2009 fav album thread.

Wes, I absolutely love Foreigner, almost up there with my faves - Rush, Journey, Styx, Sabbath, Maiden and when I`ve seen them live with Kelly, I was blown away. I really wanted a new studio album and this is it, hope it grows on me, really trying to like it at the moment!