CLIF MAGNES/BOULEVARD/THINKING OUT LOUD

TIM (2)

From Melodicrock.com....

Clif Magness - Solo

Release Date: June 24 - Grammy award winning and Oscar nominated writer / producer Clif Magness' career includes over two decades worth of hits. He was born in Texas on April 24, 1957 and started his professional music career in 1980 by two solo singles release titled "The Rest Of The Night" and "There's Nothing So Expensive As Woman Who's Free For The Night" under Scotti Bros., USA. Clif came across his fatal songwriting partner whose name is Glen Ballard in 1983 and they wrote the song titled "It's Gonna Be Special" for the motion picture "Two Of A Kind" performed by Patti Austin.

Clif's string of hit singles and records began in the 1980s when he had the a #1 hit with Jack Wagner ("All I Need") and a top 5 with Wilson Phillips ("Impulsive"). In 1990 Clif took home a Grammy for the song "The Places You Find Love" from Quincy Jones' critically acclaimed album "Back On The Block." Just three years later, in 1993, Clif was nominated for an Oscar and a Golden Globe for the song "The Day I Fall In Love" from the film "Beethoven's 2nd". After the success as a singer, Clif released his first solo album in 1994 by the request of Empire Records, Sweden.

His impressive roster of artists with whom he has written and/or produced for include Celine Dion, Barbara Streisand, Sheena Easton, Steve Perry, Dolly Parton, James Ingram, Cheap Trick, Amy Grant, Lisa Marie Presley, Judith Owen and Wild Orchid to name a few.

He worked with Avril Lavigne as songwriter and producer for her single „Losing Grip“ and her multi platinum album „Let Go“. Clif Magness also produced two songs on Kelly Clarkson's Number 1 Album „Thankful“.

Tracklist: 1. Footprints In The Rain, 2. It's Only Love, 3. Hold Me Lee Anne, 4. One Way Out, 5. Khalela, 6. Jenny's Still In Love, 7. Only You, 8. If We Can't Do It, 9. Flower Girl, 10. What's A Heart To Do, 11. Solo, 12. Dreams Fade Away, 13. Ready Or Not. Bonus tracks: 14. Black And White, 15. Running Forever.

Musicians: Clif Magness (vocals, Guitars, Keyboards), Jay Graydon (Guitars), Glen Ballard (Keyboards). Backing vocals: Martin Page, Aina Olsen, Mark Mueller.

Boulevard - Blvd

Release Date: June 24th, 2009 - Canadian Rock band Boulevard (Blvd) was founded in the mid 80's and later released two classics of the AOR genre. Their self-titled debut album from 1988 was originally released on MCA and contained three hit singles, "Dream On", "When the Lights Go Down" and "Far From Over". Over the years, this record has become an extremely rare collector's item that was only available for an unbelievably high price.

Yesterrock now takes care of this gem and makes this re-mastered version available again. As always, the Distribution of this title is handled by Munich based company NL Distribution.

Tracklist: 1. Dream On 2. Far From Over 3. Western Skies 4. Never Give Up, 5. In The Twilight 6. When The Lights Go Down 7. Under The Moonlight 8. You And I , 9. Missing Persons 10. You're For Me.

Line-Up: David Forbes (Vocals), Randy Gould (Guitar), Andrew Johns (Keyboards), Randy Burgess (Bass), Jerry Adolphe (Drums).

Think Out Loud - S/T

Release Date: June 24 - Think Out Loud are a studio project featuring singer Peter Beckett (Little River Band, Paladin, Skyband) and his Australian friend Steve Kipner (Skyband) who also is best known for his work as song-writer and producer for Wilson Philipps and Whitney Houston. Guests on this high class record include Steve Lukather, Randy Goodrum, Tris Imboden, Bob Marlette and Michael Landau. Originally released in 1988, the self-titled album by Think Out Loud is a sought after AOR jewel today. Thanks to Yesterrock, this re-mastered release is now available again for a reasonable price. Again, Distribution will be handled by NL Distribution.

Tracklist: 1. In A Perfect World 2. Stranger Things Have Happened 3. Original Sin (Jumpin' In) 4. The Deep End, 5. Raise You Up 6. After All This Time 7. Faithful Love 8. Body And Soul (Lost In The Rhythm) , 9. In No Uncertain Terms 10. Talk To Yourself.

Line-Up: Peter Beckett (vocals, guitars) Steve Kipner (bass, vocals, keyboards) Additional musicians: Steve Lukather, Randy Goodrum, Tris Imboden, Bob Marlette, Michael Landau, Paulinho Da Costa, Brandon Fields, Jimmy Johnson, Paul Jackson jr., Bobby Caldwell, Renée Geyer.

Yesterrock's online shop is now open and can be found at www.yesterrock-shop.com. The shop will offer the whole back-catalogue of Yesterrock and NL Distribution. Furthermore, Yesterrock's label website will go online during the next week at www.yesterrock.com and offer some specials for the customers soon.

Wow - the best trio of AOR re-issues I've ever seen. And bonus tracks on the Clif Magness too...

If you even vaguely like AOR then you're a crazy fool not to pick up these gems, in fact I'd rate MAGNESS' "Footprints In the Rain" as a Top 10 AOR tune of all-time (Robin Beck's version was a shabby 2nd rate attempt).

Yeah the Clif Magness is a great album but it does tail off a little towards the end.

How rare is the BLVD though, I see it quite a lot, in fact in Bolton two years ago (the last time I went ooooop to Bolton) they still had the CD in the racks at X Records and at around the £13 mark. There's even a coupla copies on eBay with BIN for £16 ... not overly pricey. I suppose I should really get around to hearing this CD as I know it's considered a classic.

Yeah the Clif Magness is a great album but it does tail off a little towards the end.

How rare is the BLVD though, I see it quite a lot, in fact in Bolton two years ago (the last time I went oop Bolton) they still had the CD in the racks at X Records and at around the £13 mark. There's even a coupla copies on eBay with BIN for £16 ... not overly pricey. I suppose I should really get around to hearing this CD as I know it's considered a classic.

I'm not sure those copies of BLVD are originals though. I know for a fact that MCA didn't press a whole load of original copies of it, so am surprised it now seems to be so readily available. Plus I'm biased as I have a sealed longbox copy of it that I was hoping to sell at some point! Frankly it's some way from being a classic, but it is a very good lite AOR disc - and "Dream On" is a killer tune.

The Clif Magness I absolutely LOVE. I know there's filler, and a couple of bland ballads, & Planet 3 is a better disc, plus WTF is "Flower Girl" all about?, but his voice is sensational - and the first 6 songs are so utterly flawless & are worth the entry price alone. Frankly, if songs like "Footprints in the Rain" and "Jenny's Still in Love" don't give you goosebumps then you can't be an AOR fan....

How rare is the BLVD though, I see it quite a lot, in fact in Bolton two years ago (the last time I went oop Bolton) they still had the CD in the racks at X Records and at around the £13 mark. There's even a coupla copies on eBay with BIN for £16 ... not overly pricey. I suppose I should really get around to hearing this CD as I know it's considered a classic.

I'm not sure those copies of BLVD are originals though. I know for a fact that MCA didn't press a whole load of original copies of it, so am surprised it now seems to be so readily available. Plus I'm biased as I have a sealed longbox copy of it that I was hoping to sell at some point! Frankly it's some way from being a classic, but it is a very good lite AOR disc - and "Dream On" is a killer tune.

The Clif Magness I absolutely LOVE. I know there's filler, and a couple of bland ballads, & Planet 3 is a better disc, plus WTF is "Flower Girl" all about?, but his voice is sensational - and the first 6 songs are so utterly flawless & are worth the entry price alone. Frankly, if songs like "Footprints in the Rain" and "Jenny's Still in Love" don't give you goosebumps then you can't be an AOR fan....

Yeah ... I have the Empire version of Solo, the Japanese version had a different cover which I quite liked. But yup, still gets a few spins every so often and I'd say Jenny's Still in Love is my fave song.

Yeah ... I have the Empire version of Solo, the Japanese version had a different cover which I quite liked. But yup, still gets a few spins every so often and I'd say Jenny's Still in Love is my fave song.

I have the JAP version of "Solo", has a baby's head on the cover. IMO both covers are pretty shit, but not as bad as the different covers for the Planet 3 album...

I have the JAP version of "Solo", has a baby's head on the cover. IMO both covers are pretty shit, but not as bad as the different covers for the Planet 3 album...

:rofl:

All 3 are great re-issues for sure I have been after the Clif Mageness and Think Out Loud originals for ages, so glad to see these are getting an over haul.

All 3 are great re-issues for sure I have been after the Clif Mageness and Think Out Loud originals for ages, so glad to see these are getting an over haul.

Yeah, and I have been after the Think Out Loud for ages. So good thing it will released. Just the bonus tracks on the Clif Magness pisses me off. I have to buy it again ... ;)

Yeah, and I have been after the Think Out Loud for ages. So good thing it will released. Just the bonus tracks on the Clif Magness pisses me off. I have to buy it again ... ;)

I don't think those Clif Magness bonus tracks sound amazing. I have originals of all 3 already, but I'm not getting another copy of "Solo" on the basis of these extra tunes - decent though they sound. Not like the bonus track on the JAP version of PLANET 3 - which make that version essential...

I've never actually heard the Planet 3 album - by the opinion I've heard I should hang my head in shame....wassit like?

Very VERY good, mate ! But you need to spend some bigger bucks.

I've never actually heard the Planet 3 album - by the opinion I've heard I should hang my head in shame....wassit like?

Naaahhhh! Read the reviews and I've just picked it up from Amazon.com for $22.58...a little over £13...I'm so impulsive hahaha!

Naaahhhh! Read the reviews and I've just picked it up from Amazon.com for $22.58...a little over £13...I'm so impulsive hahaha!

Trouble is, if you haven't got the JAP version then you're missing the best track on the disc. The U.S and Euro versions tail off at the end, but the JAP version replaces the awful last song (that's not even sung by Magness) with a killer track.

Trouble is, if you haven't got the JAP version then you're missing the best track on the disc. The U.S and Euro versions tail off at the end, but the JAP version replaces the awful last song (that's not even sung by Magness) with a killer track.

I think says it has a bonus track called Dreamer or dreaming...on the sleeve it..we'll see when it turns up I guess. I don't think its the Jap though.

I think says it has a bonus track called Dreamer or dreaming...on the sleeve it..we'll see when it turns up I guess. I don't think its the Jap though.

That's the 2002 U.S re-issue. It's called "Music From the Planet +1" however the original release had 10 tracks anyway. The song you have on the end ("Dreamers") is pretty good, much better than "Ever After Love" that was on the original, but neither come within a million miles of "I Will Be Loving You" which is the 10th track on the JAP version of this - a flawless Westcoast tune...

P.s. If you do love this album, let me know & I'll send you the JAP song...

woah, spot on!

Looking forward to this puerley for the bonus traxx.

Wild Blue - no more jinx is out soon too !! :beerbang:

That's the 2002 U.S re-issue. It's called "Music From the Planet +1" however the original release had 10 tracks anyway. The song you have on the end ("Dreamers") is pretty good, much better than "Ever After Love" that was on the original, but neither come within a million miles of "I Will Be Loving You" which is the 10th track on the JAP version of this - a flawless Westcoast tune...

Another option if you alreay have a non-Japanese version of the album is to pick up the 'I Don't Want To Say Goodnight' Japanese CD single, which includes the track 'I Will Be Loving You'. But if your gonna pay big bucks for this single it's probably better just to pay a bit extra and pick up the Japanese album.

I was just reading that 'I Will Be Loving You' is originally froma Levis commercial.

Another option if you alreay have a non-Japanese version of the album is to pick up the 'I Don't Want To Say Goodnight' Japanese CD single, which includes the track 'I Will Be Loving You'. But if your gonna pay big bucks for this single it's probably better just to pay a bit extra and pick up the Japanese album.

I was just reading that 'I Will Be Loving You' is originally froma Levis commercial.

I have to say that it's one of my all-time fave songs. It really would be in my Top 10 all-time AOR tunes...

• 3 weeks later...

Wow - I had only heard 3 or 4 songs from the Clif Magness album before, as I could never quite get to paying out the stupid prices it was fetching everytime I (rarely) saw it on ebay and why it has been top of my wants list for ages. What an AWESOME disc it is. How good are songs like 'Jenny's Still In Love' 'Khalela' and his version of 'Footprints In The Rain'. The 2 bonus tracks are pretty damned good aswell. Gonna take me a while to take this one out of the CD player. :headbanger:

Wow - I had only heard 3 or 4 songs from the Clif Magness album before, as I could never quite get to paying out the stupid prices it was fetching everytime I (rarely) saw it on ebay and why it has been top of my wants list for ages. What an AWESOME disc it is. How good are songs like 'Jenny's Still In Love' 'Khalela' and his version of 'Footprints In The Rain'. The 2 bonus tracks are pretty damned good aswell. Gonna take me a while to take this one out of the CD player. :headbanger:

Yeah this is something special. This guy is a fucking genius, he obviously is an amazing producer (that's where he makes all his money these days) but his vocals and songwriting ability are flawless...