The Veer Union

Glen

Another great album...had a few spins already and this comes across as a combination of Skillet and Hinder - also hear a few Nickelback sounds as well.

1. Seasons - Solid opener..not the most stunning chorus but a good rocker

2. Youth Of Yesterday - Now the hinder comparisons start. Excellent hard rock

3. Over You - & again...could have been lifted from 'Extreme Behaviour'

4. Darker Side Of Me - Cool hard rocker...more Skillet than Hinder

5. I'm Sorry - Stunning ballad. Hinder style.

6. Final Moment - Another good rocker...Hinder comparison again

7. Better Believe It - Skillet sound again...I love the flat chorus and guitar sound

8. Into Your Garden - Simple medium paced, but I love it. Nickelback sound but much better lyrics than them....

9. Your Love Kills Me - Killer hard rocker in the Hinder vein

10. Breathing In - Stunning ballad No 2

11. Where I Want To Be - Massive Skillet style rocker...simply put if you liked 'Comatose', you'll love this.

12. What Have We Done - Another ballad to close...not quite up to the standard of the first two, but still good.

Excellent album......definitely up there in the modern stakes for me.

http://www.myspace.com/theveerunion

:drink:

Wow, that 'Seasons' song kind of sucks, but the rest sounds magnificent. This is a must-get for me! Nice find. :)

Yeah, the opener 'Seasons' is probably the weakest track....but it does grow on you.

Im about 4 listens in now and love the whole thing.

The ballads in particular are stunning (Fallbrooke are you listening?).

If you mention Hinder and Nickleback as comparators you can guarantee I'll be avoiding this one like the plague....

P.s. What happened to Lennie? What did you do with him?

If you mention Hinder and Nickleback as comparators you can guarantee I'll be avoiding this one like the plague....

P.s. What happened to Lennie? What did you do with him?

Big mistake if you do......Im currently rating this at No 2 (modern) behind Nural.

The first 2 ballads are excellent.

You should have gone with Glennie. That's what I always called you in my head.

I heard this one last night and will bring it to the car to listen to properly soon. Very nice. Not all amazing and there are a few 'Seasons'-styled average tracks, but generally very good. And yeah, I agree. Ballads and mid-tempo rockers sounded best for sure.

You should have gone with Glennie. That's what I always called you in my head.

I heard this one last night and will bring it to the car to listen to properly soon. Very nice. Not all amazing and there are a few 'Seasons'-styled average tracks, but generally very good. And yeah, I agree. Ballads and mid-tempo rockers sounded best for sure.

I tell you what mate, those 'Seasons styled average tracks' are some of my favs now after a few listens......namely 'Seasons' itself is a massive grower and in particular after the 2.30 mark that song is great. Also 'Into Your Garden' and 'Better Believe It' are surprisingly addictive and Ive found those 2 tracks going round my head more than the others.

The 2 ballads are great though.

(PS Glennie??..........cheers mate. Git).

Okay Glennie ( ;) ) I've been at it again. After a few spins, here's my verdict. I'll pre-warn you... my jeebers is this an album of two halves. My faves are highlighted in bold:

1. Seasons - Average rocker. Not bad, just not great. Reminds me a lot of Seven Wiser to be honest.

2. Youth Of Yesterday - Very, VERY nice. Very Hinder-ish and a really good modern melodic rocker. Love this one.

3. Over You - Like Glen says, 100% Hinder. But really good Hinder. Equal to most Hinder ballads - sensational.

4. Darker Side Of Me - Good solid rocker.

5. I'm Sorry - I hate to steal Glen's words, but this is truly stunning. Contender for ballad of the year if you ask me, and my favourite song on the CD.

6. Final Moment - Absolute killer hard rocker. Monster chorus and another album highlight (and sadly the last).

7. Better Believe It - Average modern rock filler, imo.

8. Into Your Garden - Slightly average except for a very good chorus. Decent.

9. Your Love Kills Me - Great second verse, especially the guitar... but a really weak chorus on this one. IMO, one of the album's weakest songs. Filler.

10. Breathing In - Good ballad and easily the best of the last 4 songs. Not great, but good stuff.

11. Where I Want To Be - Another good but not great rocker. Okay.

12. What Have We Done - Nice verses and okay chorus. Again, this is good but not great.

So there you have it. First half has this sitting in album of the year contention, but imo the second half lets it down. But it's not all bad. Mostly good actually, but a bit of a letdown after the amazing start. This should make my top 5... maybe. :) Very good disc.

For the record, I also have the EP spinning which is pretty good. Not as good as the highlights of this disc, but better than the weakest stuff. Solid moder rock.

Okay Glennie ( ;) ) I've been at it again. After a few spins, here's my verdict. I'll pre-warn you... my jeebers is this an album of two halves. My faves are highlighted in bold:

1. Seasons - Average rocker. Not bad, just not great. Reminds me a lot of Seven Wiser to be honest.

2. Youth Of Yesterday - Very, VERY nice. Very Hinder-ish and a really good modern melodic rocker. Love this one.

3. Over You - Like Glen says, 100% Hinder. But really good Hinder. Equal to most Hinder ballads - sensational.

4. Darker Side Of Me - Good solid rocker.

5. I'm Sorry - I hate to steal Glen's words, but this is truly stunning. Contender for ballad of the year if you ask me, and my favourite song on the CD.

6. Final Moment - Absolute killer hard rocker. Monster chorus and another album highlight (and sadly the last).

7. Better Believe It - Average modern rock filler, imo.

8. Into Your Garden - Slightly average except for a very good chorus. Decent.

9. Your Love Kills Me - Great second verse, especially the guitar... but a really weak chorus on this one. IMO, one of the album's weakest songs. Filler.

10. Breathing In - Good ballad and easily the best of the last 4 songs. Not great, but good stuff.

11. Where I Want To Be - Another good but not great rocker. Okay.

12. What Have We Done - Nice verses and okay chorus. Again, this is good but not great.

So there you have it. First half has this sitting in album of the year contention, but imo the second half lets it down. But it's not all bad. Mostly good actually, but a bit of a letdown after the amazing start. This should make my top 5... maybe. :) Very good disc.

For the record, I also have the EP spinning which is pretty good. Not as good as the highlights of this disc, but better than the weakest stuff. Solid moder rock.

Ha ha, we nearly always disagree on these modern albums.

I bet my bottom (Aussie) dollar the mistake you are going to make with this album is to whack tracks 2,3,5 & 6 on your ipod and then for the rest of the year claim that the album is pretty good but not great without really listening to the other tracks very much.

As I said before this would be a mistake because when I finish listening to this album....give it about an hour and whats going round my head ??

Darker Side Of Me

Better Believe It

Into Your Garden

I tell you now - those 3 are the ones that stick, average or not.

Anyways, glad you like it - a lot of good modern rock about at the moment - wish I could say the same for MHR!

(PS on a side note, I am surprised that you dont rate 'Breathing In' higher. That's a stunning ballad for me....not quite as good as the first one, but up there).

Cheers

Ha ha, we nearly always disagree on these modern albums.

I bet my bottom (Aussie) dollar the mistake you are going to make with this album is to whack tracks 2,3,5 & 6 on your ipod and then for the rest of the year claim that the album is pretty good but not great without really listening to the other tracks very much.

As I said before this would be a mistake because when I finish listening to this album....give it about an hour and whats going round my head ??

Darker Side Of Me

Better Believe It

Into Your Garden

I tell you now - those 3 are the ones that stick, average or not.

Anyways, glad you like it - a lot of good modern rock about at the moment - wish I could say the same for MHR!

(PS on a side note, I am surprised that you dont rate 'Breathing In' higher. That's a stunning ballad for me....not quite as good as the first one, but up there).

Cheers

Well mate, I'll take your bottom dollar without hesitance. :)

I put stuff on my Ipod all the time, but I only ever really listen to my Ipod when I'm going to sleep or on long car trips... or at random intervals. I will in no way just listen to these songs at all. Like all the good 2009 releases I'll listen to this full disc probably 10 more times at least before making my final decisions on the best of 2009.

As for me changing my mind on the best tracks, I'd be happy to put a little wager on that for sure. :) I always trust my first instincts and I'm pretty sure my faves on this one will remains my faves. Those other songs you're mentioning are not really the type of modern rock I dig. As an Alter Bridge fan I can understand that you may dig them because it's more of that slower styled stuff... but not for me unless there's a huge chorus or blitzing melodies. :)

Wow - I like this one - really really good stuff. "I'm Sorry" is probably the best song I've heard this year, and the rest of the disc sounds good too. Glad I didn't let the Nickleback/Hinder comparisons put me off :lol:. Have ordered this one - can't wait. Awesome stuff mate, probably edges out the AMERICAN RADIO by the sounds of it....

P.s. They get extra marks for actually releasing a physical CD.

P.P.s. "Over Me" is probably my fave song (other than the ballad)

Wow - I like this one - really really good stuff. "I'm Sorry" is probably the best song I've heard this year, and the rest of the disc sounds good too. Glad I didn't let the Nickleback/Hinder comparisons put me off :lol:. Have ordered this one - can't wait. Awesome stuff mate, probably edges out the AMERICAN RADIO by the sounds of it....

Yeah dont listen to Geoff, the second half is really good too. :tumbsup:

This and Nural are the two best for me in the modern ratings.

Until July that is..............

Yeah dont listen to Geoff, the second half is really good too. :tumbsup:

This and Nural are the two best for me in the modern ratings.

Until July that is..............

Nah, I'm sure Tim - a man of good taste - will probably agree with me here, as 'I'm sorry' and 'Over you' were my two picks as best of the album too. :)

And no probably about it, Tim, this kills American Radio.

So I just got my copy of this and American Radio (didn't realise that disc was 2008)....

This is the better of the two (more killer tunes) but both are very consistent and there's barely a real filler on either. From what I've heard the NO LOVE LOST has even more killer tunes than this does, but it also has a couple I'm not so keen on. If only NURAL, NLL & FALLBROOKE actually release their albums then this will be an awesome few Modern Rock finds - and I still haven't got my copy of DESTROPHY yet...

To me, this kinda sounds like RA did on their second disc - love it...

So I just got my copy of this and American Radio (didn't realise that disc was 2008)....

This is the better of the two (more killer tunes) but both are very consistent and there's barely a real filler on either. From what I've heard the NO LOVE LOST has even more killer tunes than this does, but it also has a couple I'm not so keen on. If only NURAL, NLL & FALLBROOKE actually release their albums then this will be an awesome few Modern Rock finds - and I still haven't got my copy of DESTROPHY yet...

Backed I was listening to this yesterday and it is a killer disc. For sure the songs on the first half are the best but I also really like the second half of the album too which has some variation of sound etc.

Anything which veers between Hinder and Skillet is fine in my book.

Did I mention also that the guy has a killer voice.

I need to listen to the NLL a few more times before deciding on that one. The ones which end up on top always have to have staying power for me. But you are right in that modern rock seems to be throwing out all sorts of great albums whilst MHR is just so so (apart from a few killers). Wait for July to add Daughtry, New Device and Adelitas Way to the already killer list :-))

Backed I was listening to this yesterday and it is a killer disc. For sure the songs on the first half are the best but I also really like the second half of the album too which has some variation of sound etc.

I need to listen to the NLL a few more times before deciding on that one. The ones which end up on top always have to have staying power for me. But you are right in that modern rock seems to be throwing out all sorts of great albums whilst MHR is just so so (apart from a few killers). Wait for July to add Daughtry, New Device and Adelitas Way to the already killer list :-))

Yep the first half of this is more immediate but I definitely like the variety of the other tunes too. "Over Me" is the tune that always sticks in my head though.

Can't say I'm excited about the Daughtry (the first was ok) but would snap up an Adelitas Way disc as I loved the EP I have. Assuming these bands actually release physical CD's that is....

Yep the first half of this is more immediate but I definitely like the variety of the other tunes too. "Over Me" is the tune that always sticks in my head though.

Can't say I'm excited about the Daughtry (the first was ok) but would snap up an Adelitas Way disc as I loved the EP I have. Assuming these bands actually release physical CD's that is....

Yeah I must have heard at least 7 or 8 of the final 12/13 tracks on the final version of the Adelitas Way debut and I pretty much love them all....should be a great disc.

Yeah, this is a good one. Was listening to it again yesterday. There are about 4 fillers I do skip through (including the opener - Sorry Glen, really don't like it). But overall it's good stuff. There are some pretty decent songs towards the end too. 'I'm sorry' is definitely my pick of the disc, though. 'Final moment' is awesome too.

As for Daughtry, did you hear that new single, Tim? Better than anything off the excellent debut, and probably (just 'cause we're in this thread anyway) anything off this disc! :)

As for Daughtry, did you hear that new single, Tim? Better than anything off the excellent debut, and probably (just 'cause we're in this thread anyway) anything off this disc! :)

A. not better than a few songs on the debut

B. would probably place about 4th or 5th at best on this disc.

Personally I hope My Daughtry ups his game for the rest of the disc.

Nah, you just haven't heard it properly yet, mate. I may not know your tastes inside out, but I know you cannot and will not be able to deny the strength of that song when it's coming out your speakers at you.

You can thank me later. ;)

Nah, you just haven't heard it properly yet, mate. I may not know your tastes inside out, but I know you cannot and will not be able to deny the strength of that song when it's coming out your speakers at you.

You can thank me later. ;)

I have heard it and it is a good song....but better than anything on the debut is pushing it a bit.

That s all.

So I know I mentioned RA before, but I reckon this sounds like SPLENDER on their second (awesome) disc. Even has a HAREM SCAREM vibe on a few tunes...

Even has a HAREM SCAREM vibe on a few tunes...

:unsure:

wow, im gonna have to listen again on the way home....havent heard that yet?? I'll let you know.

Even has a HAREM SCAREM vibe on a few tunes...

:unsure:

wow, im gonna have to listen again on the way home....havent heard that yet?? I'll let you know.

I thought stuff like "Final Moment" & "Better Believe It" kinda have the harmonies of the last Harem & Emerald Rain discs? Or am I talking shite?....