New live Dan Reed CD

Captain Howdy

I hope the new stuff is better than the Adrenaline Sky CD, I found that one to be somewhat disapointing!

Me too - major disappointment that was.

It was somewhat annoying to me as I thought he was getting better and better with every album (I'm one of the few that considers The Heat to be his best work), and then that CD came out which was just too damn dull for my tastes.

It pretty much lacked all the hallmarks of a Dan Reed album.

Plus the fact that half was studio and half was live, repeating at least one song, also didnt help!

Guys, I might be the biggest DRN fan on the site (I'm from Portland and have been following these guys since 1988)... but Dan is not his same ol' 80's self anymore.

I haven't heard this CD, so I'm not criticizing it, but if you're expecting the old DRN I think you "might" be disappointed. Maybe not... perhaps he turned it on for this live gig... I honestly don't know. I recommend checking out some clips if available.

Guys, I might be the biggest DRN fan on the site (I'm from Portland and have been following these guys since 1988)... but Dan is not his same ol' 80's self anymore.

I haven't heard this CD, so I'm not criticizing it, but if you're expecting the old DRN I think you "might" be disappointed. Maybe not... perhaps he turned it on for this live gig... I honestly don't know. I recommend checking out some clips if available.

Where you at the New Years Eve show with the Cherry Poppin' Daddies opening during the In Heat tour?

And agreeon the comment, let's hope Dan has not followed in poor Butch Walkers footsteps.

Simple - I'm not expecting anything to be honest,especially a full on DRN show. Just a Live acoustic cd, with some stripped back DRN songs and maybe a couple of new ones aswell. Should be good.

I think the fact that its an acoutic performance tells us straight away that its not the old Dan Reed Network.

I'm just hoping its similar in style to the FM acoustic album, as thats pretty much the yardstick I measure like acoustic CDs by (I know most people would probably use Tesla as the yardstick, but for me its FM all the way).

I think the fact that its an acoutic performance tells us straight away that its not the old Dan Reed Network.

I'm just hoping its similar in style to the FM acoustic album, as thats pretty much the yardstick I measure like acoustic CDs by (I know most people would probably use Tesla as the yardstick, but for me its FM all the way).

That FM disc was bloody excellent. I always forget about that one - Nice remind. :tumbsup:

Where you at the New Years Eve show with the Cherry Poppin' Daddies opening during the In Heat tour?

And agreeon the comment, let's hope Dan has not followed in poor Butch Walkers footsteps.

Do you mean December 31, 1991 into 1992 in downtown Porland at the Schnitz? YOU BET I WAS!

I was lucky enough to see DRN many, many times back in the day. They were SO good back then I'm still amazed they didn't really hit the "big" time. I figured opening for Bon Jovi in 1989 would do the trick... unfortunately it did not.

The last time I saw Dan he was doing some gig of Eastern music with sitars, etc. that I couldn't get into with a ten foot stick. Like I mentioned earlier, he's a different guy now and I'm actually a bit surprised he bothers playing any DRN stuff a t all. Who knows, maybe he's changed a bit again and is embracing the past now (whereas he pretty much wanted every one to forget it a few years back).

• 2 weeks later...

Got it this morning, a few days before the actual release date, and my initial opinion is somewhat disapointing.

Not the music itself, the packaging.

Sadly the CD comes in a cardboard envelope type sleeve than a traditional jewel case.

Really not a fan of this type of packaging.

The album though is pretty much as expected, a laid back affair, with just Dans voice and a single acoustic guitar.

The new material sounds good, but, its hard to judge it too much in this format as obviously its at its most basic level.

Pisses me off when bands release CDs in cardboard envelopes.

I only have 3 or 4 albums like that, but they all sort of vanish into the collection and look cheap and nasty.

I can accept that sort of packaging on a CD single or a promo CD, but when you pay full album price, you should get full album packaging!

• 1 year later...

Got the new studio album this morning as I preordered it back in Sept (official release date is on the 24th of this month apparently).

Thankfully its in a jewel case with a decent booklet. Sadly though the signature (preorders come signed) is on the case, so I can see that wearing off if not careful.

The music though is once again not classic Dan Reed Network style, but I really didnt expect it to be.

While its not actually an acoustic album, it does have the same kind of laid back feel as an acoustic album, with nothing that really rocks out (or funks out for that matter).

Its certainly a more mature CD, and not one thats gonna appeal to everyone, but its a good mellow album for when you just want to chill out.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the new studio album this morning as I preordered it back in Sept (official release date is on the 24th of this month apparently).

Thankfully its in a jewel case with a decent booklet. Sadly though the signature (preorders come signed) is on the case, so I can see that wearing off if not careful.

The music though is once again not classic Dan Reed Network style, but I really didnt expect it to be.

While its not actually an acoustic album, it does have the same kind of laid back feel as an acoustic album, with nothing that really rocks out (or funks out for that matter).

Its certainly a more mature CD, and not one thats gonna appeal to everyone, but its a good mellow album for when you just want to chill out.

Got mine this morning - Very chilled out as you say, but dammit, there are some great tunes on here.

I have to say that I was worried when the opening track was playing, as its really not what I wanted to hear, and went on far too long, but once the second song starts, everything starts looking up.

Actually, I retract that statement, its the last track I dont like.

For some reason my media player was in reverse, so it was starting at the last track and working its way backwards.