Hansel - Mission To Rock EP (2008)

Pussycat Records

missiontorock.jpg

Track Listing:

01. Murder 101

02. Mission To Rock

03. Shot Down For Love

04. Wildcat

I recently picked up this EP from the bands website. For those who haven't heard of them, they're a four piece band from Australia playing some high quality 80's sounding Hard Rock/Glam. The vocals sound great and musically they're very good. There's plenty of guitar solos and even some keyboards on the first track. Of the four tracks on this EP I really like three of them - Murder 101, Mission To Rock and Wildcat.

You can pick up this EP from The Hansel Website for $10

MySpace

Here's a review from Sleaze Roxx

Here's a review from Heavy Metal Time Machine

I've been spinning the heck out of this as I have decided to go and see these clowns tonight. They play at 10:00pm in Manly, so I'll turn up and see how I go. Whether Matt turns up for our date is another matter entirely.

But yeah, seriously decent EP. I love 'Muder 101' and to me this EP seems like a single for 'Murder 101' with 3 bonus demo tracks. I say that only because the opening track is awesomely produced and the other three sound great too, but there's a slight difference in sound. Either way, I dig all 4 songs and for au$10 it's not bad value. I think I'll pick it up tonight (avoid the $1.50 postage costs - HAHA!). :)

I've been spinning the heck out of this as I have decided to go and see these clowns tonight. They play at 10:00pm in Manly, so I'll turn up and see how I go. Whether Matt turns up for our date is another matter entirely.

But yeah, seriously decent EP. I love 'Muder 101' and to me this EP seems like a single for 'Murder 101' with 3 bonus demo tracks. I say that only because the opening track is awesomely produced and the other three sound great too, but there's a slight difference in sound. Either way, I dig all 4 songs and for au$10 it's not bad value. I think I'll pick it up tonight (avoid the $1.50 postage costs - HAHA!). :)

Id go if it wasnt the other bloody side of sydney! im working on it..

Other side of Sydney? What are you talkling about? It's just up the road. :) 30mins from my place, says Whereis.com. I reckon at that time of night it'll be 25mins.

Other side of Sydney? What are you talkling about? It's just up the road. :) 30mins from my place, says Whereis.com. I reckon at that time of night it'll be 25mins.

Come pick me up.

Come pick me up.

lol

The first track sounds really great. Not quite sure on the other tracks though. If the whole EP would be in the same calibre as the first track, I'd be all over it. AUD21.50 (about 11 Euros) to Finland? I think I'll pass on this one. But the first track kicks major butt! :banger:

The first track sounds really great. Not quite sure on the other tracks though. If the whole EP would be in the same calibre as the first track, I'd be all over it. AUD21.50 (about 11 Euros) to Finland? I think I'll pass on this one. But the first track kicks major butt! :banger:

:lol: Is that really how much they charge to Finland? Wow. *clears throat" Silly Fools.

:lol: Is that really how much they charge to Finland? Wow. *clears throat" Silly Fools.

Well, that was the total cost but nevertheless....

Well, that was the total cost but nevertheless....

:lol: Thankfully, I did realise that a little later... but the initial damage had been done.

Okay, so I went on my lonesome to see these guys last night and here's the verdict:

Firstly, the venue was this tiny, tiny little place in Manly, on Sydney's coast. So small that the band were shoulder to shoulder all night... and only 3 of them could fit in a row at once (with the 4th standing behind or off-stage). Second, the occasion was just a 'Songwriters Night', with no cover charge or anything. At the busiest point of the night there would have been about 30-40 people in the place, and for the artists there were probably about 20 viewers max.

I got there just before 10:00pm, when Hansel were meant to be on and there was a gorgeous Dutch girl just getting off stage with her acoustic guitar. And then another dude went on. Again, a singer-songwriter with his acoustic. So Hansel didn't actually start until around 11:00pm, after setting up and all. But to their set...

Keeping in mind the settings and "atmosphere", they were pretty impressive. They are young as hell - as in the two guitarists would not be out of school yet; probably around 15 years old maybe younger. The singer and drummer are brothers, maybe in early 20's or late teens? And the bass player is a new dude around the same age. They looked tacky, and I guess that's what they're going for, but they sounded pretty good. They played the 4 songs off the EP, about 6 of their other songs and a cover of Poison's 'Nothin' but a good time'.

The band is musically pretty good, even though I thought the guitarist/keyboard player was a far better player than the actual "lead guitarist". They were both a little unpolished, especially come solo time, but both competent. Drummer was good and bass player was fine too. Vocalist was also good. Quite charismatic and very active, with constant big David Lee Roth splits jumps off the stage and he worked the room for the entire set. Made me nervously uncomfortable as he roamed the room encouraging people to join in... but yeah, he did well getting people involved.

I did like the show and am so glad I went, but I have to admit, at the end of it all, I am still not 100% sold on these guys. 'Murder 101' was still, like the EP, by far the stand out track. The others are all very solid, but maybe just a little too simple. Verses are fine but the choruses just need a bit more crunch and some bigger hooks. 'On the run' was a good track and so was their ballad - something about a garden. They said they're releasing another EP later this year so we'll see how that goes. One definite song on it is called '1-800...' something. 1-800 whoreburger or something. That one was okay, but pretty average hard rock. I don't know, I did enjoy the set but I hope they just work a little more on really nailing their choruses.

Sorry for the super long write-up, but overall it was a really cool night. I didn't buy the EP then and there (even though I wanted to) because I'm a whuss and after the set all the band's friends (from Newcastle?) went up on stage and they were all kind of hanging and I felt a bit out of place so I just bailed... but I think I will buy the EP, if nothing else just to show my appreciation for the free show.

I did the review of the EP for Sleaze Roxx - I really like these guys. Thanks for the review Geoff was interested to know what they were like :) didn't realise they were that young, as in 15 young!

Maybe 15... they could be 16. ;) Well, at least 2 of them are that young anyway. :)

I did the review of the EP for Sleaze Roxx - I really like these guys. Thanks for the review Geoff was interested to know what they were like :) didn't realise they were that young, as in 15 young!

Maybe 15... they could be 16. ;) Well, at least 2 of them are that young anyway. :)

so you didnt buy the e.p :(

hoepfully they'll tour melb soon :beerbang:

so you didnt buy the e.p :(

hoepfully they'll tour melb soon :beerbang:

I did today, online. You know you can buy it from their website for $10, right?

As for a "tour" of anywhere soon... honestly, based on last night and the complete lack of audience, I'd say they're a long way off that. I'm hoping they score some cool support slots if some "hair bands" make their way out to Sydney anytime soon. It'd be nice to see them go places. But last night I have a feeling I was the only one there to actually see them, aside from their friends (who I assume came down from Newcastle). I think the other couple of people in the crowd were just there that night anyway.

looken forward to a review of the gig fellas, if anyone can can please pick up a cd of the demo for me, very keen on owning it , cheers :beerbang:

Do you just mean the 'Mission to rock' EP? Do you want me to buy it from the site for you and do a trade or something? :)

looken forward to a review of the gig fellas, if anyone can can please pick up a cd of the demo for me, very keen on owning it , cheers :beerbang:

Do you just mean the 'Mission to rock' EP? Do you want me to buy it from the site for you and do a trade or something? :)

yeah lets geta trade going bud, get it for me, cheers :) & thanks :beerbang:

I just noticed on their website you can download, for free, three of the other songs they played last night here:

http://www.hanselsohotrightnow.com/store.cfm?mpf=frame&

They opened with 'Rock city' and it was good.