Drawing the line between punk and glam?

heavyharmonies

How do you separate the two? At the sleaziest end of glam, both the look and sound are VERY similar to punk music.

How do you define the difference?

The reason I ask, is that I'm considering adding the CD below to HH, but am wondering if it's out of bounds.

Would you include this CD here?

I've included 2 samples below. Most of the songs sound like sample #1, but then #2 is straight ahead bar rock.

All Night Long

Thank God for Jack Daniels

P.S. Nice album cover!

sexslaves1.jpg

sexslaves2.jpg

The punk influenced glam'n'sleaze sound is probably my favourite genre so i hear quite a bit of this sort of stuff.

Personnaly I would say that those samples seem far closer to punk than glam.

Actaully, in my opinion they head more in the punk'n'roll direction... dirty hard rock with the punk influence, or punk rock with the dirty hard rock influence. I don't hear much glam in there at all based on the 2 samples.

As you say, alot of sleazy glam can border on punk but these usually have really catch type melodies. Think of for example The Mistakes, or The Erotics... they are very punk oriented but retain really glam-like catchy melodies in their tunes. On the otherhand you can have glam bands with a punk influence such as Scarlet Violet or Hollywood Teasze.

That being said, I would not obejct to this style of music being on the main site.

Sleaze-rock, dirty-rock or sleazy punk rock would be the best descritions for it. Similar to backyard babies...?

I ran across this one sometime ago and grabbed it because it was very cheap. To me, this isn't really punk in the Damned, Misfits sense of the genre. Maybe Nu Punk? I really didn't care for most of the cd although "Thank God For Jack Daniel's" puts a smile on my face.

How do you separate the two? At the sleaziest end of glam, both the look and sound are VERY similar to punk music.

How do you define the difference?

The reason I ask, is that I'm considering adding the CD below to HH, but am wondering if it's out of bounds.

Would you include this CD here?

I've included 2 samples below. Most of the songs sound like sample #1, but then #2 is straight ahead bar rock.

All Night Long

Thank God for Jack Daniels

P.S. Nice album cover!

sexslaves1.jpg

sexslaves2.jpg

They are pretty close, I have heard a few songs so I can't really tell...

One way I do define the differance in the two genre's is

Guitar Solos.... the "Chuck Berry" Double stops and bends are NOT Solos IMO..

those are riffs...Punk uses those...

Glam/Sleaze Punk has more "Angus Young" styled Solos..a bit longer

More speed and more varied in and throughout the song...

but the biggest defining difference is Punk bands will NOT

confess to loving metal....

as far as including it on HH I'd say No...