TV Shows

Jacob M.

I must say this topic is one that really irritates me. Since I'm from Tulsa no one really cares about us. If it wasn't for college football I'm sure that most people wouldn't even acknowledge Oklahoma exists. All of the tv shows and movies always take place in L.A., San Fran, Chicago, Miami, New York, etc. For the life of me I can't understand that. There is a whole huge country between the coasts that rarely gets any love. Can't the writers in Hollywood find an interesting city in middle America to make a show about?

Last night I was shocked by what I saw. I read that on Eleventh Hour they were supposed to be investigating a case in Oklahoma. I made sure to tune in. They said the case was about Tulsa and a college campus. Sounds good so far. Then they called the school Tulsa State College. What the hell is that? There's no college in Tulsa called that. We have Oral Roberts, Tulsa University, and some other minor schools in the city. Not only that, but the school's initials was TT. If there was such a school it's initials would be TSC. I heard them call the team the Titans. I'm guessing that's how they got the initials TT, but I've never heard of a college using it's sports teams name as a part of the initials. That's not even the best part. They didn't show or mention one single thing that would have made me believe it was actually Tulsa. When they showed the campus it was massive. It might have been bigger that ORU and TU combined.

I must say that I'm just really disappointed. I like the show, but they totally misrepresented where I live. I'm hoping that I'll forget about this in a few weeks. Mr. Hood's assistant should help me with that.

• 2023 Gold Donors

Thats the way Hollywood operates...just a buncha lying f**kers is all they are and they rarely if ever represent middle america correctly.They always play up the stereotypes-and i don't even think they accurately judge what most folks are like on the east and west coasts,south and everywhere else to be honest.They see you as "fly over country" and could give a f**k less unfortunately...

• 2023 Gold Donors
Then they called the school Tulsa State College. What the hell is that? There's no college in Tulsa called that. We have Oral Roberts, Tulsa University, and some other minor schools in the city. Not only that, but the school's initials was TT. If there was such a school it's initials would be TSC. I heard them call the team the Titans. I'm guessing that's how they got the initials TT, but I've never heard of a college using it's sports teams name as a part of the initials.

Also...concerning names/brand names and what not.The studios also usually have to be ficticious in their 'titles' as they have to avoid lawsuits and being sued.Like when you see someone drinking an obvious can of Coke,yet you never see the label..stuff like that is most likely why the college names weren't accurate.

• 2 weeks later...

I can kind of understand why they didn't use the name of a real college in Tulsa, but what they did was just hokey. It pretty much ruined the episode for me. The whole thing with copyrighted names in tv shows is a confusing one to me. In some shows you will see real brands and others you don't. In some shows they mention real colleges and real colleges are a part of the storyline. I'm guessing part of it has to do with how the copyrighted name is used.

Anyway, another show that really disappointed me was Rodney. It was a cookie cutter sitcom starring comedian Rodney Carrington. I watched it because it was about his life in Tulsa and his attempts to break into comedy. I never saw anything in the show that resembled Tulsa. About the closest thing I saw was an OU hat in their house. The people in the show were like some people I've encountered around here. That was about the only bright spot in the show. After a while I stopped following it. About the only time I would watch it was if there was nothing else on. Then it got cancelled during the second season. So much for the possibility of new shows taking place in Tulsa.

I can kind of understand why they didn't use the name of a real college in Tulsa, but what they did was just hokey. It pretty much ruined the episode for me. The whole thing with copyrighted names in tv shows is a confusing one to me. In some shows you will see real brands and others you don't. In some shows they mention real colleges and real colleges are a part of the storyline. I'm guessing part of it has to do with how the copyrighted name is used.

Anyway, another show that really disappointed me was Rodney. It was a cookie cutter sitcom starring comedian Rodney Carrington. I watched it because it was about his life in Tulsa and his attempts to break into comedy. I never saw anything in the show that resembled Tulsa. About the closest thing I saw was an OU hat in their house. The people in the show were like some people I've encountered around here. That was about the only bright spot in the show. After a while I stopped following it. About the only time I would watch it was if there was nothing else on. Then it got cancelled during the second season. So much for the possibility of new shows taking place in Tulsa.

WOW!

That show actually made it through one season? :whistle:

• 1 month later...

It's set in the fictional small town of Arlen, but I think KING OF THE HILL does capture some of the flavor and attitude of Texas, often in subtle ways. I also like it when the charactors travel to other Texas cities.

I do remember seeing a few movies/shows set in San Antonio with New York style temament apartments! There are a few movies with real SA locations, SELENA and CLOAK AND DAGGER come to mind...