Shinedown

Glen

Fuck me - go over and listen to the soundbites of the new Shinedown album!

A preview of the whole album can be streamed at Melodic.net.

This sounds fucking awesome. Wait til the 4th song comes up - pray or something. Jesus! And the 5th sounds like an great ballad.

Wow, the songs sounds so much better than their first 2 albums - they seem to have found awesome melody from somewhere - I cant describe how good this sounds - not a filler in sight.

Roll on to release date.

:tumbsup:

Wow mate, this I must hear to believe. If you're right, sounds like another Yellowcard tale. To be honest, I wouldn't even have blinked at the news of a new Shinedown disc if you didn't make this thread. Those first two albums just suck. Looking forward to hearing what they've been able to do with this one...

Wow mate, this I must hear to believe. If you're right, sounds like another Yellowcard tale. To be honest, I wouldn't even have blinked at the news of a new Shinedown disc if you didn't make this thread. Those first two albums just suck. Looking forward to hearing what they've been able to do with this one...

The first couple sound similar to the old style.....but better. Then it kicks into overdrive.

Some awesome sounding ballads towards the end.

The first couple sound similar to the old style.....but better. Then it kicks into overdrive.

Some awesome sounding ballads towards the end.

Lennie has been right on the mark on several other recommendations recently. I'm gonna have to check this one out tonight too. Shinedown always knew how to rock, they just never had any real melody to write home about. Here's hoping....

Chris

This sounds fucking awesome. Wait til the 4th song comes up - pray or something. Jesus! And the 5th sounds like an great ballad.

Wow, the songs sounds so much better than their first 2 albums - they seem to have found awesome melody from somewhere - I cant describe how good this sounds - not a filler in sight.

Roll on to release date.

Checked out the album preview on melodic.net. The first half of the album stream preview is so-so imo, but the second half of the samples did sound like the best stuff they've ever done. Dunno who produced the album, but I think they got some help this time. Looking forward to hearing longer clips.

Chris

Roll on to release date.

The first half of the album stream preview is so-so imo

Chris

:yikes: clips 4 & 5 floored me.......I cant bloody wait and its released in just a weeks time :tumbsup:

Ok, I've managed to listen to the whole album now and this is just fantastic.

As I mentioned earlier the first 2 tracks start out in familiar Shinedown territory - heavy in your face - but these 2 songs are a notch above what theyve managed before.

However it's really from track 3 that this takes off. 'Second Chance' is a great ballad, 'Cry For Help' (track 4) is just awesome - this completely blows away any song on the recent Rev Theory album - next up 'The Crow & The Butterfly' is just stunning - probably the best modern ballad Ive heard all year.

And so it continues 'If You Only Know', 'What A Shame' and especially 'Breaking Inside' are all great ballads. And just for a few more essential rockers 'Sin With A Grin' (love the title) and 'Cyanide Sweet Tooth Suicide' both kicked my arse in spectacular fashion.

For me its a 2 horse race now between this and SOTY for best modern release of 08.

Cheers

Wowser. Is this the biggest hook of 2008?:

"Well, I just saw hailey's Comet shooting

Said why you always running In place?"

Taken from 'Second Chance'... one of my favourite tunes on this disc. I love this song. Also, to me, 'Devour' is a MONSTER opener - one of my favourite songs on this.

Sorry Lennie - I actually thought 'The Crow & The Butterfly' was the weakest track on the album, and sounds a lot like old Shinedown. But even that is a nice song. Talking about ballads, I am in love with 'Call me'. What a splendid track!!! 'Breaking inside' and 'What a shame' are both very strong too.

Overall, I admit I am really (pleasantly) surprised with this album and I love seeing an average band produce something well above average. Great find, Lennie.

Well, Im pleasantly surprised you dig this album, cos I was still thinking this wouldnt be melodic enough for you.

I tell ya - the more you spin this beauty the better it gets. & I'll admit that 'Devour' has grown on me.

I still think though that its tracks 4 & 5 that blow me away. 'Crow & The Butterfly' is just stunning for me. It doesnt surprise me at all that you arent 'getting' this track. Reason : cos I loved 'Blackbird' last year by Alterbridge (a f stunning song that is) and yet you slated that album and that song - the sacrilege :lol: I think the two songs are v similar - both classic sounding with a big soaring chorus and great guitars. Spells heaven for me.

Cheers

Glen

Yeah, good call, mate. That song does sound like Alter Bridge too - which, as you say, I am not a fan of at all. I also agree this album gets more appealing with more spins. You did well here, mate. :lol:

After seeing your post I have 'Devour' etched in my head... damn that song kicks ass like I never thought this band would be capable of.

I bought this for the wife last night and I must say after hearing it I was really

blown away..alot heavier than their othere releases...great stuff

anybody else notice that " Silvertide's" Guitar Player Nick Perry is now in this band..

I was looking at the booklet last night and lo n behold there he is..

I picked this up today and WOW! Count me pleasantly surprised. I didn't think Shinedown had it in them to do an album this good. "What a Shame" is one of the best tracks I have heard in a very long time. Bravo.

Chris

Wow this is quite stunning. I liked a few tracks from these guys and I agree, they always had it in them. "Cry For Help" is awesome. What a catchy chorus. "If You Only Knew" seems like a stunner. First quick spin this sounds awesome. I may have to get this. Thanks for the heads up. :tumbsup:

Wow, that's the sign of a good album. Four different people have mentioned different favourite songs in their posts. :lol: To me, that just means there are plenty to pick from! I agree that 'If only you knew' is a gem too.

One thing I thought instantly about this album and I forgot to mention was that I like the lyrics. There are good lyrics on this disc and it helps a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard the bonus tracks on this baby??!

'I Own You' and in Particular 'The Energy' (f excellent :beerbang: ) are well worth tracking down. Well up to the standard of the rest of the album.

'Son Of Sam' is not quite as melodic (a real grower tho) but is still a good in your face rocker.

In fact all three of these tracks are great rockers and make up for my one (small) complaint about this album, which was the balance of rockers to ballads.

So I've been listening to this & Harem Scarem back-to-back for a couple of days now & I honestly think this is the better of the two. Amazing given how much I love the H.S disc. This is stunning, kinda ALTER BRIDGE sounding but with SALIVA-like hooks. I especially love the opener "Devour" and the closing two tracks ("Call Me" is one of the greatest modern rock ballads I've heard in years). The vocals & production are especially stunning, & there really isn't a filler on this thing.

BTW are their other albums not worth picking up?

Their other albums are nowhere near the quality as this latest release. This newest disc is the only one I own by these guys. They finally wrote some cool choruses into the songs which had been sorely lacking on their previous releases imo.

Chris

I agree with Chris, Tim. I wouldn't bother picking up the first two. The first is pure nu-metal and the 2nd is just an average modern rock disc, with a pretty poor production job, if I recall correctly.

I will have the bonus tracks soon too.

FYI, this CD slaughters anything Alter Bridge or Saliva have done, imo.

So I've been listening to this & Harem Scarem back-to-back for a couple of days now & I honestly think this is the better of the two. Amazing given how much I love the H.S disc. This is stunning, kinda ALTER BRIDGE sounding but with SALIVA-like hooks. I especially love the opener "Devour" and the closing two tracks ("Call Me" is one of the greatest modern rock ballads I've heard in years). The vocals & production are especially stunning, & there really isn't a filler on this thing.

Agree that this is their best.

BUT I have the first 2 albums and I really like them. I wouldnt describe their sound as NU Metal - closer to Alter Bridge but not as good.

They have 'Save Me' and 'Fly From The Inside' on their Myspace page which will give you a pretty good idea what you can expect from the first 2 albums. Good rocking tunes but not quite as melodic as the latest offering.

Cheers

Agree that this is their best.

BUT I have the first 2 albums and I really like them. I wouldnt describe their sound as NU Metal - closer to Alter Bridge but not as good.

They have 'Save Me' and 'Fly From The Inside' on their Myspace page which will give you a pretty good idea what you can expect from the first 2 albums. Good rocking tunes but not quite as melodic as the latest offering.

Cheers

I have to say that I love this album way more than the last Alter Bridge album. The songs are hookier, & the choruses better IMO. I'm really struggling my with album of the year list now!