Question about Record Club editions on US

I bought several cds' on ebay lately. Most of them don't have the UPC code bar on the traycard wich is replaced with "Manufactured by Columbia House under license," or "Mfg. for BMG Direct Marketing, Inc. under license".

I investigate a little further and seems these are re-edition of the first pressing identified as "record club editions", and at the time a discussion about comparative quality was going through sound thecnics.

My question goes for all the US members. Did you note any significant diferences on this called "record club" releases concernig the sound and booklets?

I've got dozens of "record club" CDs (from both Columbia House and BMG Music Club) and I have never noticed any difference in sound quality from "store bought" CDs. I believe the record club editions are, in many cases, pressed by the original labels and licensed to the clubs. Either version is fine by me.

I think there's been at least one other thread about this subject in the past that went into it with more depth, but I'm too lazy to go look for it right now. :lol:

I've got dozens of "record club" CDs (from both Columbia House and BMG Music Club) and I have never noticed any difference in sound quality from "store bought" CDs. I believe the record club editions are, in many cases, pressed by the original labels and licensed to the clubs. Either version is fine by me.

I think there's been at least one other thread about this subject in the past that went into it with more depth, but I'm too lazy to go look for it right now. :lol:

Thanks Freddy. Since we didn't have that situation in Europe, let me ask you this: Club Edition it means you would buy them on Music Clubs like Bars or something near?

Thanks Freddy. Since we didn't have that situation in Europe, let me ask you this: Club Edition it means you would buy them on Music Clubs like Bars or something near?

The record clubs we have in the US are music by mail order companies that you subscribe to. When you join a music club, they will send you so many cd's for a very low price, and then you agree to by a certain amount more at "regular club prices" until you fulfill your agreement.

I personally never had any problem with Columbia House cd's. The BMG ones I do not like at all and it's strictly for personal reasons. I don't like the fact that BMG Music Club is stamped on the back jewel tray, somewhere inside the booklet, and on the cd itself. Also, if you have ever compared them, the cd's from BMG were a lot thicker than store bought cd's. To me it's just not getting the original cd as it was meant to be. I'm currently trying to replace all of my BMG stamped cd's with a regular pressing and so far I have just a few yet to replace.

The record clubs we have in the US are music by mail order companies that you subscribe to. When you join a music club, they will send you so many cd's for a very low price, and then you agree to by a certain amount more at "regular club prices" until you fulfill your agreement.

I personally never had any problem with Columbia House cd's. The BMG ones I do not like at all and it's strictly for personal reasons. I don't like the fact that BMG Music Club is stamped on the back jewel tray, somewhere inside the booklet, and on the cd itself. Also, if you have ever compared them, the cd's from BMG were a lot thicker than store bought cd's. To me it's just not getting the original cd as it was meant to be. I'm currently trying to replace all of my BMG stamped cd's with a regular pressing and so far I have just a few yet to replace.

Thanks Blue. Understood.

This reminds me also a similar situation on Europe, but perhaps worst. Its the case of the "nice price" editons.

They are even worst cause most of those editions doesn't have a decent booklet.

This reminds me also a similar situation on Europe, but perhaps worst. Its the case of the "nice price" editons.

They are even worst cause most of those editions doesn't have a decent booklet.

They have tried a similar thing here in Australia. I thinks it all an attempt to compete with costs of downloads.

Here they trialled the "Just The Music" series where basically you got the disc in the plastic centre tray in a cardboard type slip case. No booklet, no plastic case...just the music. These were about $7-8 cheaper than the regulkar editions from memory.

I would never buy them,... although I did buy the bon jovi release simply to keep my BJ collection complete and up to date.

I used to buy from Columbia House music club very often and all of the cds were of the same quality of those that came from Music stores.

The only downside would be most of those music club cds probably aren't of much interest to buyers/collectors.

Here's the other thread on this topic from a while ago, I was feeling less lazy today :lol:

http://heavyharmonies.ipbhost.com/index.ph...=Columbia+House

• 2 weeks later...

Ive sold many record club editions on cd, people seem to want them for some reason, the metallica cds by records clubs seem to sell for higher than the originals for some reason, Ive also sold many Cure from record clubs. I dont notice any difference in sound quality, in fact ,record club editions may be a little better.

Ive sold many record club editions on cd, people seem to want them for some reason, the metallica cds by records clubs seem to sell for higher than the originals for some reason, Ive also sold many Cure from record clubs. I dont notice any difference in sound quality, in fact ,record club editions may be a little better.

I do remember seeing Metallica's stuff in my BMG and Columbia House catalogs years ago, but if memory serves, Metallica do NOT allow their albums to be sold thru the clubs anymore, which would explain why record club versions of their stuff are harder to find and are therefore more valuable.

*EDIT* I Googled "Metallica Record Club CDs" and found this little nugget-o-trivia on the subject. I guess as Metallica got more powerful in the biz, they were able to get one of these "No Club Sales" clauses in their record contract. So you may not be able to get Metallica's stuff from a record club anymore, but thankfully, they're still meeting our Hootie and the Blowfish needs! :lol:

A growing number of artists such as U2, Metallica, and Smashing Pumpkins have no-club-sale provisions in their contracts because they receive more royalties from record stores than clubs. Still, you can find popular artists such as the Cardigans, Tony Braxton, Aaliyah, and Hootie and the Blowfish.

I do remember seeing Metallica's stuff in my BMG and Columbia House catalogs years ago, but if memory serves, Metallica do NOT allow their albums to be sold thru the clubs anymore, which would explain why record club versions of their stuff are harder to find and are therefore more valuable.

*EDIT* I Googled "Metallica Record Club CDs" and found this little nugget-o-trivia on the subject. I guess as Metallica got more powerful in the biz, they were able to get one of these "No Club Sales" clauses in their record contract. So you may not be able to get Metallica's stuff from a record club anymore, but thankfully, they're still meeting our Hootie and the Blowfish needs! :lol:

A growing number of artists such as U2, Metallica, and Smashing Pumpkins have no-club-sale provisions in their contracts because they receive more royalties from record stores than clubs. Still, you can find popular artists such as the Cardigans, Tony Braxton, Aaliyah, and Hootie and the Blowfish.

I never noticed to many Def Leppard cds in those clubs either.

Now that you mention it, I haven't either. (of course that could be due to the fact that I never look for them... :lol:)

Maybe they have one of those "No Club Sales" clauses too.

Now that you mention it, I haven't either. (of course that could be due to the fact that I never look for them... :lol:)

Maybe they have one of those "No Club Sales" clauses too.

I seem to remember seeing the Vault cd but none of the studio cds.