Cauterize - 'Disguises' NEW ALBUM

Geoff

I went over to the website and there are a few people who had to wait ages for the CD... but it has eventually come. Looks like as long as I'm cool with waiting until Christmas I'll get it in good time. :( F*ckers.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody else get the email today? Due to border issues Cauterize will not be playing any of their scheduled U.S. Dates on the Warp Tour. Fuck, fucking figures, what kind of border issues could they have? that's the ticket to get noticed in the U.S., if I was the bands manager, Id have them down sneaking acrossed the Mexico border so quick, they wouldnt even know what hit them, this is why they don't get recoginized.

Anybody else get the email today? Due to border issues Cauterize will not be playing any of their scheduled U.S. Dates on the Warp Tour. Fuck, fucking figures, what kind of border issues could they have? that's the ticket to get noticed in the U.S., if I was the bands manager, Id have them down sneaking acrossed the Mexico border so quick, they wouldnt even know what hit them, this is why they don't get recoginized.

Hey mate, I got this too. I don't know how long you've been signed up to the mailing list, but it's been about 5 years now for me and I can't tell you how many messages I've seen like this, about cancelled or postponed shows, or live radio interviews that weren't made. In the grand scheme of things it's probably not really a heap, but still damaging, I'd say, and not really helping them along their path to fame and fortune.

• 4 weeks later...
http://www.maplemusic.com/product.asp?dept...p;pf_id=2895-33

There's the link if you'd like to pre-order. The rate for overseas shipments is truly criminal, but what do I do? They're my favourite band, first 500 orders get a signed copy and first 2000 get the free acoustic CD... I can't pass it up. :) So I've made my order... anyone else?

18th of May I made this order. Jeebers Cripes! Well, much to my surprise, the CD did actually arrive yesterday, 5th of September. Only about 4 months to deliver. Awesome!

Not to worry. I got the CD and a fully signed copy of 'Unmasked' so I'm happy now. As I said in the 'First spins' thread, the new CD is amazing and the 4 new tracks flawless. They seem to be more in the style of the debut, 'So far from real' - all fast paced and lyrical marvels about messed up and twisted relationships. The lyrics are again just brilliant and I can't pick a fave of the 4 new ones yet, as 'Don't stop now', 'Devil in lace' and 'Slivers' all seem to be pretty much even at the moment.

Anyway, anyone else got this CD yet? Thoughts? Do you have 'Paper wings' too and can you tell the differences? I noted a few additions and amendments in the songs, but they're generally very true to the 'Paper Wings' versions... except the awesome full-band version of 'Paper wings'. Aside from that, I prefer the original 'Closer' and the new version of 'Miracles or medicine' sounds even better than the original! If that was possible.

Either way, album of the year no question, IMO.

• 11 months later...

So did anyone ever end up picking this "CD" (or should I say priceless nugget of pure gold?) up? Any thoughts on the new songs?

Me? Thanks for asking. This is the most bitersweet of art I've tasted. The 4 new songs, no doubt, are 4 of the best they ever recorded. I find it impossible to say that one of the 4 songs - 'Love in the attic', 'Don't stop now', 'The devil in lace' or 'Slivers' is better than the other.

'Don't stop now' is just commercial hard rock bliss, while 'Slivers' is possibly my favourite lyrical effort on the CD, even though - like always - the lyrics are once again 100% on the mark, on every song. Everything is just flawless about this CD.

Anyway, anyone else at all ever check it out?

So did anyone ever end up picking this "CD" (or should I say priceless nugget of pure gold?) up? Any thoughts on the new songs?

Me? Thanks for asking. This is the most bitersweet of art I've tasted. The 4 new songs, no doubt, are 4 of the best they ever recorded. I find it impossible to say that one of the 4 songs - 'Love in the attic', 'Don't stop now', 'The devil in lace' or 'Slivers' is better than the other.

'Don't stop now' is just commercial hard rock bliss, while 'Slivers' is possibly my favourite lyrical effort on the CD, even though - like always - the lyrics are once again 100% on the mark, on every song. Everything is just flawless about this CD.

Anyway, anyone else at all ever check it out?

No.

End of thread.

I heard a few tracks from this and honestly mate, I really can't see what all the fuss is about with this band at all. I was quite looking forward to hearing them, and when I did, the bottom fell out of my life!! No joke, it did fuck all for me at all - really boring!

I was thinking about this the other day and was just wondering what makes this lot so special compared to everything else out there. I know that our musical tastes rarely cross, but they do on occassions and you like some really cool stuff that is way way way better than this imo!! Tastes differ and all that, but I really can't see it with this bunch of jokers at all. :drink

I heard a few tracks from this and honestly mate, I really can't see what all the fuss is about with this band at all. I was quite looking forward to hearing them, and when I did, the bottom fell out of my life!! No joke, it did fuck all for me at all - really boring!

I was thinking about this the other day and was just wondering what makes this lot so special compared to everything else out there. I know that our musical tastes rarely cross, but they do on occassions and you like some really cool stuff that is way way way better than this imo!! Tastes differ and all that, but I really can't see it with this bunch of jokers at all. :drink

Lyrically, these guys are simply not matched in modern rock... well, any rock as far as I'm concerned, but that's a matter of opinion.

Musically, these guys are easily in the top tier of modern rock and although they're not ripping blazing solos and all that, their three rhythm guitar attack is just a wall of awesome if you ask me. A really in your face sound.

But the thing that sets them aside for me is really simple. Their songs, imo, are purely unmatched. I just don't know of any other CDs where not only do I like or love every track, but every single song on all 3 of their albums is sheer perfection to me. Jesse Smith wrote the most heartfelt, brutally honest lyrics I've heard and his ability to write a stunning hook floors me. There is not and would never have been a Cauterize song (love them or hate them) where you'd be left thinking, "Oh was that the chorus?" because they just assault you with their choruses.

I don't know, to each their own but these guys, for me, are just superior in every single aspect of what makes music work for me. They tick all the boxes and go outside them. And that's why they are as special as a band has ever been.

To be honest, not sure at all what you mean by "boring".

The thing I'll always remember is that Andrew over at melrock.com gave this something like 98% when it was released, so I obviously wasn't the only melodic rock traditionalist who saw something that really made this band stand out from the pack. :)

Lyrically, these guys are simply not matched in modern rock... well, any rock as far as I'm concerned, but that's a matter of opinion.

Musically, these guys are easily in the top tier of modern rock and although they're not ripping blazing solos and all that, their three rhythm guitar attack is just a wall of awesome if you ask me. A really in your face sound.

But the thing that sets them aside for me is really simple. Their songs, imo, are purely unmatched. I just don't know of any other CDs where not only do I like or love every track, but every single song on all 3 of their albums is sheer perfection to me. Jesse Smith wrote the most heartfelt, brutally honest lyrics I've heard and his ability to write a stunning hook floors me. There is not and would never have been a Cauterize song (love them or hate them) where you'd be left thinking, "Oh was that the chorus?" because they just assault you with their choruses.

I don't know, to each their own but these guys, for me, are just superior in every single aspect of what makes music work for me. They tick all the boxes and go outside them. And that's why they are as special as a band has ever been.

To be honest, not sure at all what you mean by "boring".

The thing I'll always remember is that Andrew over at melrock.com gave this something like 98% when it was released, so I obviously wasn't the only melodic rock traditionalist who saw something that really made this band stand out from the pack. :)

Thanx for that mate - I was just interested why this band stands out for you so much. :tumbsup:

Boring? quite simple mate, they bored me to death - didn't get my feet tapping, didn't get me singing along, Musically pretty average, nothing memorable at all for me to want me to buy a disc or hear it again. In fact, pretty much the exact opposite of your thoughts to be honest with ya! I know it isn't my type of stuff generally, but I do give things a chance without dismissing them first hand. I know I joke around, but I do listen and check stuff out. On this occassion a bit thumbs down I'm afraid. :drink:

I should point out that I do, of course, refer to the debut... not 'Disguises'.

And yeah, to be honest, Jez, I wouldn't expect this to be your sort of thing at all... and I'm sure 98% of this board's members are with you. The type of music they play and the genre they have been cast into is one of way too many throw-away bands. Their demise and lack of success when they were around shows how easily dismissed a band like this can be... but I'm sure as hell glad I was one of the ones who "got it". :)

You fuckers will never believe what showed up at my house yesterday??? fuckin joke I slammed the fucker right into the cd player, actually the disc popped out and flew into the wall, the case is what got slammed into the cd player, those fucking jerkoffs, my invoice is dated for last year, and then I actually listen to it, and??.....THEY FUCKING NEED MURRAY DAIGLE TO WRITE AND PRODUCE WITH THEM!!! these songs aren't getting to the point like they so geniusly did in So Far! . There isn't one I'll Cry Tomorow, granted Idont think there could ever be as that songs perfect, but I'm just not very happy with the songs I'm hearing, unlike So Far in which I not only remembered the songs after one spin, but was singing them in my head as well! now that's the way to do it. And as far as becoming known, if these fuckers couldn't get on the map with So Far, I don't see it happening ever, that's about as catchy, well produced, and full of singles as your gonna get, they just didn't suck enough Corporate Penis to give them the push they needed, Sucks but they just had to much musical talent to make it in America!

• 10 months later...

Well, if there is anyone out there who still wants this CD, it's on sale now for us$6.47 (w/ bonus 5 track acoustic EP):

http://www.maplemusic.com/product.asp?dept...D33&lang=EN

All the shirts and stuff are on sale too. If shipping is reasonable I will pick up a few shirts. :)

http://www.maplemusic.com/dept.asp?dept_id=2897

EDIT: Well, sadly most the shirts are available in Small (I'd have bought them all I think) except the two released after 'So Far From Real' (both of which I already have) and a maroon one from Paper Wings available in XL (which is hopefully not too big). So I bought the maroon 'Paper Wings' one and I bought another copy of the white one I already have. :) Why not, it was only $5 Canadian! Shipping isn't too bad. Not good, but affordable. Man I wish they had more sizes...

Seriously, if you don't have 'Disguises' yet, make sure you pick it up. Amazing value with the bonus EP too.

• 1 year later...

Just in case anyone else is interested in this:

I kind of infrequently stalk Cauterize's wikipedia page for updates on the band's ex-members (always hoping to see news of a miraculous re-union album :lol:) but yesterday I got a little adventurous. Since the end of Cauterize, Jesse Smith (Vocals) and Jason Bone (Bass) opened up their own recording studio, helping out a few Canadian bands up there. Anyway, sent a message to the studio's email address yesterday and pleasingly, Jason was kind enough to reply overnight.

I know (from wikipedia, lol) most the other guys are in other bands these days, but he did mention that he and Jesse were currently working on some new music which they hope to release soon ("winter/fall" in the US). He also mentioned that it is different to Cauterize, but I get the feeling these guys were probably behind a lot of the songwriting in Cauterize (especially the lyrics) so I'm pretty excited. He said to keep an eye on myspace for updates... just not sure which myspace yet - lol.

Anyway, something exciting for me to look out for. :)