Raven

Favorite Raven Album  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

OK, I'm in a polling mood again. ;) I don't even know how many other folks here even care about Raven, but it should be well known by now that I totally worship these NWOBHM heroes (and besides, they're just about the only one of my favorite bands that I haven't polled yet). My pick would be 1983's still-awesome ALL FOR ONE (not only my favorite Raven CD, but one of my top five Heavy Metal CDs, PERIOD) though I could've just as easily went with STAY HARD, ARCHITECT OF FEAR or the MAD EP... as far as I'm concerned, this band's entire catalog is golden... yes, even THE PACK IS BACK. :)

*EDIT* I usually stick to studio albums ONLY in my polls, but made an exception this time for the MAD and HEADS UP EP's since they both included all-new (at the time) studio material. However, it just dawned on me that I neglected to include the CRASH, BANG, WALLOP EP... d'oh! My bad! :doh:

I was into quite a few of the NWOBHM acts at the time, but could never really get into Raven. I heard their albums up to 1985 and can honestly say that they didn't do anything for me at all. I saw them live once in some club (can't remember where or who they were supporting) but I do remember they were bloody awful on that ocassion and I have never bothered with 'em since. Quite a few of the bands I still listen to and really still do enjoy their music (Saxon, Maiden, Samson etc) but for me Raven were nowhere near as good and strictly 2nd division stuff. I tried and they failed I'm afraid.

If I had to vote for one album of the ones I have heard, then probably 'Rock 'Til You Drop' as It has a few good chops on it. Otherwise I'll pass.

I was into quite a few of the NWOBHM acts at the time, but could never really get into Raven. I heard their albums up to 1985 and can honestly say that they didn't do anything for me at all. I saw them live once in some club (can't remember where or who they were supporting) but I do remember they were bloody awful on that ocassion and I have never bothered with 'em since. Quite a few of the bands I still listen to and really still do enjoy their music (Saxon, Maiden, Samson etc) but for me Raven were nowhere near as good and strictly 2nd division stuff. I tried and they failed I'm afraid.

If I had to vote for one album of the ones I have heard, then probably 'Rock 'Til You Drop' as It has a few good chops on it. Otherwise I'll pass.

:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

Nah, but seriously, Jez, we're at opposite ends here cuz the way you feel about Raven, I always felt about Saxon. Granted, I like Saxon just fine, I feel that they have had quite a few good albums over their long career (DENIM & LEATHER and LIONHEART rule!) but I never went whole hog for Saxon the way I did for Raven. I always felt that Saxon were second tier compared to the NWOBHM guys like Maiden, Diamond Head and Raven.

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks I guess....

...when these guys lock into a groove..watch out....

A-MEN brother! I've seen Raven live twice, excellent shows both times, and those Gallagher brothers are a MACHINE when they get going... I guess since they've been playing together since they were kids, it's almost like one guy knows what the other guy is going to do before he even does it... they work together SO well...

I was lucky enough to meet & speak to John Gallagher (bass/vox) at both shows too, and he is BAR NONE the nicest metal guy I have ever had the pleasure to hang out with. He is a totally cool mo-fo.

:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

Nah, but seriously, Jez, we're at opposite ends here cuz the way you feel about Raven, I always felt about Saxon. Granted, I like Saxon just fine, I feel that they have had quite a few good albums over their long career (DENIM & LEATHER and LIONHEART rule!) but I never went whole hog for Saxon the way I did for Raven. I always felt that Saxon were second tier compared to the NWOBHM guys like Maiden, Diamond Head and Raven.

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks I guess....

Indeed Freddy Different strokes. Over here Saxon along with Maiden and Def Leppard were the 3 major players in the NWOBHM, with the likes of Tygers Of Pan Tang, Angelwitch, Samson, Diamond Head and the like coming in a respectable second. Bands like Raven weren't even on the scale for most people and were definately one of the more cult bands of the genre along with thousands of others. I'm not saying they were the worst, as there were some quite frankly appalling bands around at the time (believe me, I went to see loads of shows at the time) but they certainly were way off being considered major players over here. :drink:

Indeed Freddy Different strokes. Over here Saxon along with Maiden and Def Leppard were the 3 major players in the NWOBHM, with the likes of Tygers Of Pan Tang, Angelwitch, Samson, Diamond Head and the like coming in a respectable second. Bands like Raven weren't even on the scale for most people and were definately one of the more cult bands of the genre along with thousands of others. I'm not saying they were the worst, as there were some quite frankly appalling bands around at the time (believe me, I went to see loads of shows at the time) but they certainly were way off being considered major players over here. :drink:

Yep, I hear what you're sayin' Jez. Over here Saxon never really caught on even in their heyday, whereas they were obviously major players on your side of the pond. Raven seemed to get a little more hype over here (even though they never broke thru to bigtime status either) because they were able to ride the wave (briefly) of the thrash & speed metal movement that was just getting off the ground. (If nothing else, Raven will forever be a footnote in Metallica's early history, as the guys took the young Metallica out on their first-ever fullscale US tour)

Yea I voted for All for One too...*G* My first Raven album was "The Pack is Back" Back in 1987 or so, and I liked it... Then I went to College, and good ole Keith here, played "All for One" for Me?? And it BLEW Me away!!!*G* Fucking excellent album!!!

Architect of Fear is pretty damn good too.....

Then I went to College, and good ole Keith here, played "All for One" for Me?? And it BLEW Me away!!!*G*

Back in the day I was the metal version of Mister Miyagi to Dark Star's Ralph Macchio. :lol:

Then I went to College, and good ole Keith here, played "All for One" for Me?? And it BLEW Me away!!!*G*

Back in the day I was the metal version of Mister Miyagi to Dark Star's Ralph Macchio. :lol:

Yea, pretty much..*chuckles* Hell You played Helloween for Me back then too, and now I love em...*Chuckles* Oh and the Ramones too, I knew SOME of their stuff, but Keith turned Me onto alot MORE of it...*L*

In later years He's turned Me onto bands like Gamma Ray, Primal Fear, Hammerfall, and etc......

Yea, pretty much..*chuckles* Hell You played Helloween for Me back then too, and now I love em...*Chuckles* Oh and the Ramones too, I knew SOME of their stuff, but Keith turned Me onto alot MORE of it...*L*

In later years He's turned Me onto bands like Gamma Ray, Primal Fear, Hammerfall, and etc......

If it weren't for my divine influence, Dark Star would be listening to Dolly Parton and Olivia Newton John records to this very day. It's true!! :drink:

Keef's hooked me up with a few of their albums and I'd say they were a very underrated band and a band that I kind of looked over the first time around.

Don't feel bad, because nearly EVERYONE overlooked my boys in Raven the first time around. That's why I continue with my Raven Evangelism Project. I'm like Johnny Appleseed, trying to plant Raven fandom everywhere I go. :) Someday they'll finally get some respect and I will have had some small part in it!! (in my dreams...)

If it weren't for my divine influence, Dark Star would be listening to Dolly Parton and Olivia Newton John records to this very day. It's true!! :drink:

Keef's hooked me up with a few of their albums and I'd say they were a very underrated band and a band that I kind of looked over the first time around.

Don't feel bad, because nearly EVERYONE overlooked my boys in Raven the first time around. That's why I continue with my Raven Evangelism Project. I'm like Johnny Appleseed, trying to plant Raven fandom everywhere I go. :) Someday they'll finally get some respect and I will have had some small part in it!! (in my dreams...)

WHAT?? Oh HELL NO...*L* I Still remember Your first words when You saw My Dorm room..."Too much Motley Crue" *L* I think I took those posters down like the next day or something..*chuckles* Replaced em with, I THINK, Huge posters of Judas Priest, and Guns and Roses, if memory serves, cause I remember buying posters right there in college, mostly European ones too...*G*

For some reason I never got into Raven I don't know why probably because I've never heard anything by them. I've got plenty of NWOBHM such as Maiden, Saxon, Leppard and so on I love the stuff. I don't think Toyko Blade got the credit they deserved.

For some reason I never got into Raven I don't know why probably because I've never heard anything by them. I've got plenty of NWOBHM such as Maiden, Saxon, Leppard and so on I love the stuff. I don't think Toyko Blade got the credit they deserved.

Diamond Head is the band that I thought got the shaft.

From what I've read it was one of their mothers fault.

Supposedly Bud Prager, who managed Foreigner at the time and later managed Megadeth, showed up and she ran him off.

Diamond Head in it's original form never played a gig outside of the UK.

WHAT?? Oh HELL NO...*L* I Still remember Your first words when You saw My Dorm room..."Too much Motley Crue" *L* I think I took those posters down like the next day or something..*chuckles* Replaced em with, I THINK, Huge posters of Judas Priest, and Guns and Roses, if memory serves, cause I remember buying posters right there in college, mostly European ones too...*G*

:rofl2: Sorry man, I couldn't resist. And yea, I remember that "too much Motley" comment... sorry but I had to say it... maybe if you had more SHOUT AT THE DEVIL era pix I would've been kinder but I saw entirely too much THEATER OF PAIN era lingerie shots looking back at me from your walls and as you know I abso-f**king-lutely DESPISE that era of the Crue...always have, always will...

:rofl2: Sorry man, I couldn't resist. And yea, I remember that "too much Motley" comment... sorry but I had to say it... maybe if you had more SHOUT AT THE DEVIL era pix I would've been kinder but I saw entirely too much THEATER OF PAIN era lingerie shots looking back at me from your walls and as you know I abso-f**king-lutely DESPISE that era of the Crue...always have, always will...

Yea I know, Hell I am not really fond of that era anymore Myself.. as I recall I had 2 good sized posters of Nikki Sixx and Vince Neil from that era... What was I thinking??*L*

• 2 years later...

any of the 1st three albums are NWOBHM classics, but i went with Wiped Out just because it sounds so fuckin raw and savage. very underrated band.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I'm in a polling mood again. ;) I don't even know how many other folks here even care about Raven, but it should be well known by now that I totally worship these NWOBHM heroes (and besides, they're just about the only one of my favorite bands that I haven't polled yet). My pick would be 1983's still-awesome ALL FOR ONE (not only my favorite Raven CD, but one of my top five Heavy Metal CDs, PERIOD) though I could've just as easily went with STAY HARD, ARCHITECT OF FEAR or the MAD EP... as far as I'm concerned, this band's entire catalog is golden... yes, even THE PACK IS BACK. :)

*EDIT* I usually stick to studio albums ONLY in my polls, but made an exception this time for the MAD and HEADS UP EP's since they both included all-new (at the time) studio material. However, it just dawned on me that I neglected to include the CRASH, BANG, WALLOP EP... d'oh! My bad! :doh:

Yep!

All For One with me as well!!

Great Live band as well!! :banger:

Great Live band as well!! :banger:

Sh*t yeah, Dom! I've seen'em live twice (1995 and 2000) and they blew the roof off da joint both times... met John Gallagher (bass/vox) at both shows and chatted with him awhile both times... he is quite possibly THE coolest metal mo-fo I have ever had the pleasure of hangin' with...

Guest Dr.Love

My fav is "All for One" without a doubt.

I got lucky and found the Remaster of All For One at a used CD shop. 7.99 instaed of the 30.00+ on ebay!

• 10 months later...