Unresponsive seller

what happens in this occasion? It's been 25 days since i bought a cd with "buy it now", but i didn't pay at once. I sent an email requesting s&h costs and i got a reply a few days later than it would cost 8$ to ship the cd overseas. I responded back complaining that it's too much and never got an answer. The seller's feedback score is 15 with several negatives for no response... Since i didn't pay after all, should i let it go? It was a cd that i really wanted, with only 3$... that's why i want to know if i can demand it or report the situation to ebay.

man, i don't know what's going on these last weeks

i never had a single problem with ebay and now i've got problems with all my last 3 auctions. Yes, i had another incident, just this afternoon after i paid for some cds my seller ceased being an ebay seller, i don't know how this will end.

anyway, the item is the following:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...57259&rd=1&rd=1

Well, as far as the shipping, you really can't gripe too much, as his auction clearly says:

"we will ship anywhere in the world, shipping costs vary."

If I'm interested in a CD, and the seller has not specified an exact shipping price to my country, I always contact them prior to bidding and ask them what shipping would be to my address; keeps situations like this from arising.

If the seller hasn't given you a negative for not paying yet, I'd suggest forgetting about it...and just hope he does the same. ;)

If I'm interested in a CD, and the seller has not specified an exact shipping price to my country, I always contact them prior to bidding and ask them what shipping would be to my address; keeps situations like this from arising.

indeed,that what i usually do, too but the cd costed only 3$ and i said "wtf, even if a pay a buck more on s&h it's still pretty cheap"...

apart from that, there's not a single seller on ebay that doesn't make profit from s&h as well...

ah, btw a week after i won this, the same item was again on auction (multiple copies you could say) on a higher price. and after that, they removed all their items from selling.

anyway, i didn't lose anything from this case (except the bargain price of the cd of course)

"Even if I pay a buck more for shipping".........a buck more than what?? To ship inside the US??!!! That's rediculous....especially since it would be going to GREECE.

Seriously......$8 to ship to Greece from the US is NOT an exhorbitant amount...nor would I consider it over charging..........so, they probably figured, if you were gonna complain about the shipping they might as well move on. I mean, the total cost for the disc would have been like $11!!!!

We're talking peanuts.........

exactly, even with 8$ the cost is nothing, this cd can be sold for more than this, i agree.

HOWEVER

i'm sick of people trying to have profit from s&h and i'm sick of arguing about it, too. So if a seller asks 1-2$ more than the regular price, i say "what the hell" and i pay them.

BUT

the price of shipping a single cd from anywhere in the states to anywhere in europe is 4$. period. (with the exception maybe of 1-2 states who may have special charges but i'm not sure about it)

I have friends in the states and we trade cds from time to time. How come they didn't ask never more than 4$ than a single jewel case, sometimes with more than 1 cd in it? Besides, when the parcels arrive i can see how much the seller paid, and it's always overcharged.

anyway, as i said before i don't complain about the specific auction, it was just a bargain lost and nothing more :banana:

I agree to some of your points, however, since the seller did not post exact shipping it should have been your sole responsibility to ask what shipping would be PRIOR to bidding.

Second: US Airmail letter post is based on weight. One CD with jewel case usually weights between 3-4 ounces, but in some cases (booklet of 12 pages or more, heavier jewel, etc.) it may go over 4 ounces. Packages of 4 to 5 ounces cost to ship to Europe $4.20 , now I guess you would like it sipped in a paddled mailer or bubbled envelope, right? well, you have to buy one to put the CD in... and unless you are a business which buys packaging on wholesale in hundreds, those bubbled envelopes in regular stores cost like $0.75-$1 a piece (over $1 at postal offices).

What about a handling fee? It sounds funny, but by the time you put the CD in the nevelope, write the labels and fill the customs forms you already have spent 5-10 minutes for it, then you have to go to the postal office, stand in line, etc. I dont know about you, but I do value my time and do like to get reimbursed a bit for that IF I'm going to sell something for profit on eBay.

So anyway, even with handling set aside, you see you already clock $5 which are absolute necessity for your CD to be shipped, therefore, you should really consider the seller is skinning you only $3, which added to the low $2.99 price you got the CD for looks like quite a good deal to me actually.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the seller and I despise sellers that will not state the shipping costs upfornt, but it also rubs me on the wrong side with buyers which try to get the absolute bargain expecting the seller to absorb all for them. Let me tell you - at $2.99 final price if you deduct the eBay and PayPal fees you will see what hilarious portion really the seller have collected from this sale.

I agree to some of your points, however, since the seller did not post exact shipping it should have been your sole responsibility to ask what shipping would be PRIOR to bidding.

Second: US Airmail letter post is based on weight. One CD with jewel case usually weights between 3-4 ounces, but in some cases (booklet of 12 pages or more, heavier jewel, etc.) it may go over 4 ounces. Packages of 4 to 5 ounces cost to ship to Europe $4.20 , now I guess you would like it sipped in a paddled mailer or bubbled envelope, right? well, you have to buy one to put the CD in... and unless you are a business which buys packaging on wholesale in hundreds, those bubbled envelopes in regular stores cost like $0.75-$1 a piece (over $1 at postal offices).

What about a handling fee? It sounds funny, but by the time you put the CD in the nevelope, write the labels and fill the customs forms you already have spent 5-10 minutes for it, then you have to go to the postal office, stand in line, etc. I dont know about you, but I do value my time and do like to get reimbursed a bit for that IF I'm going to sell something for profit on eBay.

So anyway, even with handling set aside, you see you already clock $5 which are absolute necessity for your CD to be shipped, therefore, you should really consider the seller is skinning you only $3, which added to the low $2.99 price you got the CD for looks like quite a good deal to me actually.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the seller and I despise sellers that will not state the shipping costs upfornt, but it also rubs me on the wrong side with buyers which try to get the absolute bargain expecting the seller to absorb all for them. Let me tell you - at $2.99 final price if you deduct the eBay and PayPal fees you will see what hilarious portion really the seller have collected from this sale.

Ive been a seller for about 5 years on ebay, I charge 3.25 shipping in the USA and 6.00 to the rest of the world. I buy my cd shipping envelopes in bulk, about 150 at at a time, they cost me about 25-30 cents each,I also buy new cd cases, I pretty much put a new cover on about every cd I sell,(I dont know any seller that does this)I get them for about 27-30 cents a piece, plus I bought a JFJ cd cleaning machine. I figure I have about 1.00 in cost for each cd before I go to the post office, gas prices are ridiculous these so that costs too. So I have ebay listing fees,paypal fees, gas fees and my time. I always post my shipping fees right on my auction so there is no mistake, By the time I do all this I really dont make much on shipping,about enough to replenish my supplies.................huskermetal

Yeah, I forgot about the fresh jewel cases, thanks for reminding me.

There are sellers that do that, you are not alone there.

Yea, Im sure other sellers do it, but I have yet to buy a cd off ebay and have it show up with a clean case on it, most cases are either cracked or smudged up with price tags all over it, a new case makes a cd look 100 percent better................huskermetal

Every CD I sell in my auctions goes out in a brand new Jewel Case.....When it is received on the other end, it may end up being cracked or broken due to mishandling in the postal system. You can imagine how many pounds of weight is thrown on top of those packages during shipment, so there are some cases that do arrive broken in spite of all the care that the shipper may take.

A few years back, I wrote to a top dollar seller and called him down about sending out CDs in worn and used CD cases inspite of the fact that his CDs were selling for some pretty hefty prices. I told him that a seller of his caliber would surely have enough pride in his product to send them out in new jewel cases as this was a direct reflection of the way he does business!!

One other thing worth mentioning is the currency rate of exchange between the Euro and USD. Right now, it takes about $1.34 to make one Euro. What this means to US buyers is.....their currency is deflated in comparison to the Euro. So, when you have to pay $8.00 to a shipper in Europe, you think this is very high shipping fees, but, in reality, the underlying cause is the value of the dollar.

Think of it in this way. A fellow in some country pays "2 Rocks" for shipping from a seller in his country. Now, he buys a CD from a fellow in the USA and must pay "15 Rocks" for shipping. This is because it takes X number of rocks to equal a US dollar in exchange value. He feels like the shipping is extremely high because his currency isn't worth as much in the USA........

Every CD I sell in my auctions goes out in a brand new Jewel Case.....When it is received on the other end, it may end up being cracked or broken due to mishandling in the postal system. You can imagine how many pounds of weight is thrown on top of those packages during shipment, so there are some cases that do arrive broken in spite of all the care that the shipper may take.

A few years back, I wrote to a top dollar seller and called him down about sending out CDs in worn and used CD cases inspite of the fact that his CDs were selling for some pretty hefty prices. I told him that a seller of his caliber would surely have enough pride in his product to send them out in new jewel cases as this was a direct reflection of the way he does business!!

One other thing worth mentioning is the currency rate of exchange between the Euro and USD. Right now, it takes about $1.34 to make one Euro. What this means to US buyers is.....their currency is deflated in comparison to the Euro. So, when you have to pay $8.00 to a shipper in Europe, you think this is very high shipping fees, but, in reality, the underlying cause is the value of the dollar.

Think of it in this way. A fellow in some country pays "2 Rocks" for shipping from a seller in his country. Now, he buys a CD from a fellow in the USA and must pay "15 Rocks" for shipping. This is because it takes X number of rocks to equal a US dollar in exchange value. He feels like the shipping is extremely high because his currency isn't worth as much in the USA........

The way I figure it is that, If I cant take some pride in doing this(selling cds) then why do it? I have this spray I use from disc-go-pod , it is a company from Canada, the spray is called a Disc cleaning final spray, it has a wax base, It really makes a cd look nice, kinda like when ya get done waxing your car, it also hides some small imperfections a cd might have. its not real expensive and a bottle lasts a long time. ..............huskermetal

The way I figure it is that, If I cant take some pride in doing this(selling cds) then why do it? I have this spray I use from disc-go-pod , it is a company from Canada, the spray is called a Disc cleaning final spray, it has a wax base, It really makes a cd look nice, kinda like when ya get done waxing your car, it also hides some small imperfections a cd might have. its not real expensive and a bottle lasts a long time. ..............huskermetal

I've heard disc-go-pod plus is a good machine and can buff some light scratches. However, I quit selling used CDs sometime ago and dont want to invest $500 in a machine I'll use on ocassion only (not to mention the cleaning solution refills one have to buy regularly).

Plus, it takes 20 mins for the machine to buff one CD, which would be very tedious if you sell in volumes and have to buff 50 CDs every day :).

I've heard disc-go-pod plus is a good machine and can buff some light scratches. However, I quit selling used CDs sometime ago and dont want to invest $500 in a machine I'll use on ocassion only (not to mention the cleaning solution refills one have to buy regularly).

Plus, it takes 20 mins for the machine to buff one CD, which would be very tedious if you sell in volumes and have to buff 50 CDs every day :).

I have 2 disc go pods, the first model and the improved one, it doesnt take 20 mins it takes 3 for a bad disc, but the supplies are costly, the way to go is JFJ, the supplies arent that much and they last 10 times longer, there is alot of maintenance with the disc go pod, I would never buy another one, I would buy another jFJ machine though, so easy to use, does a good job

I have 2 disc go pods, the first model and the improved one, it doesnt take 20 mins it takes 3 for a bad disc, but the supplies are costly, the way to go is JFJ, the supplies arent that much and they last 10 times longer, there is alot of maintenance with the disc go pod, I would never buy another one, I would buy another jFJ machine though, so easy to use, does a good job

I know we are hijacking the thread a bit, but what model JFJ do you have? What do you consider to be a good price? And is there a place you can recommend to purchase it?

Del, I know you have a disc repair machine, too. Could you tell us what you have, what you think of it, and what a good price would be?

Thanks in advance!!

I know we are hijacking the thread a bit, but what model JFJ do you have? What do you consider to be a good price? And is there a place you can recommend to purchase it?

Del, I know you have a disc repair machine, too. Could you tell us what you have, what you think of it, and what a good price would be?

Thanks in advance!!

I have a used model I bought on ebay for 300.00, its a 2 arm machine that does 2 cds at a time,brand new this model goes for around 6-700 dollars. They put out some smaller models that do 1 cd for 200.00,I think thats a very good deal for a brand new machine. DONT go with disc go pod, the pumps burn out alot and the supplies are costly and they are messy,they use a white liquid cleaner which is a pain in the ass,you have to make sure the pump is working at all times or your pump will burn out. The bottom line is for ease of use the JFJ is the way to go, supplies arent too high,they last a long time, I can probably do 30 discs an hour with mine, its so simple to use,my 8 year old can run it. If your doing a large quantity of cds get the 2 arm machine, if not buy the 200.00 machine. Ever since I got my jfj machine, my discgopod machines just sit there in the cabinet, I simply dont need them any more. If you have any more questions pm me......later guys.........huskermetal

I too have a JFJ disc repair machine I bought a few years ago. It does a fantastic job. I've made some real coasters look like brand new discs with this machine and it has been well worth the money I spent to acquire. I bought it directly from the manufacturer in California. You can check out their web page HERE

My neighbor just bought a new machine off E Bay that is manufactured by JFJ Disc Repair for $179. This is a smaller machine, but it does do a pretty decent job except for the really nasty scratches.

If anyone is thinking about buying a disc repair machine, I would heartily recommend the JFJ machine.

Also, for those who spend time searching for used CDs in stores and elsewhere, this is a necessity. I used to pass up literally hundreds of great discs because of the condition. Now, I know that I can refurbish them to be like new so I don't have to pass. You can imagine the how the machine has paid for itself over time.

Interesting discussion.......do you guys who 'refurbish' cds mention that in your auctions or sales? Just curious because I know some *not myself* buyers get so irritated if something is misrepresented in just the slightest........??

Interesting discussion.......do you guys who 'refurbish' cds mention that in your auctions or sales? Just curious because I know some *not myself* buyers get so irritated if something is misrepresented in just the slightest........??

Ive probably been selling for about 5 years now, not one buyer has ever asked about that. I guess as long as the cd is in nice condition they are happy with the purchase. I dont clean every cd I sell, just the ones I think that need it.