RETROSPECT REC-S...How is the quality....

ashen_light

A lot of things have been discussed here about Retrospect Records and the quality of CDs , however nothing has been mentioned about the quality of the sound. Did anyone purchase any of those? Any comments? I tried to contact a few Retrospect customers, but noone has responded so far.

I might be skeptical about the re-issues of mega-rarities(Friction, Hearless, etc..), but I have no problems with re-releases of the material which had never been available on CD format.

Any information about the quality of the sound would be helpful.

Thank you all in advance.

ASHEN.

A lot of things have been discussed here about Retrospect Records and the quality of CDs , however nothing has been mentioned about the quality of the sound. Did anyone purchase any of those? Any comments? I tried to contact a few Retrospect customers, but noone has responded so far.

I might be skeptical about the re-issues of mega-rarities(Friction, Hearless, etc..), but I have no problems with re-releases of the material which had never been available on CD format. 

Any information about the quality of the sound would be helpful.

Thank you all in advance.

ASHEN.

It varies from release to release.....but all in all it's been quite good. Retrospect's website now has samples up for every release. As well as, if you see Vegascds auctions there are links from all of them to some song samples....

The sound samples can only give me a general idea of the quality. I ordered a couple of items from the website and I want to see for myself. Will let you all know.

Later.

Denis.

I know this question will trigger some nasty responses, but I have to ask it, sorry.

Are all of the Retsrospect releases CD-Rs?

Valid question.

I would LOVE to buy some of Sam's stuff. You have to admit, a few of the titles are AWESOME. But the last thing I need is a cheap CD-R with photocopied artwork.

If he's putting out a nice package (ala HOT METAL, etc.), I'll be first in line!

Valid question.

I would LOVE to buy some of Sam's stuff.  You have to admit, a few of the titles are AWESOME.  But the last thing I need is a cheap CD-R with photocopied artwork. 

If he's putting out a nice package (ala HOT METAL, etc.), I'll be first in line!

I wouldn't exactly call HOT METAL "nice packaged" since Panos uses the cheapest plant possible and all their CDs are milky-swirled on the playing surface, but I hear ya and know what you mean.

It's not really so expensive to make 1000 proper silverback CDs you know, but in Sam's line of work, given they are made to be sold on eBay one at a time only for the highest profit possible per CD, it's not really worth for him to make more than 100 anyway.... just a different business approach I guess *shrugs*

***My Retrospect Review***

Well ladies and gentlemen I got my CD's from Sam. They actually came in yesterday. I decided I'm not going to give my opinion on these CD's, as opinions are like...well you know the rest.

I'm going to answer some FAQ's, and leave my opinions to myself. I DON'T want someone to order anything based on my opinion and be disappointed in what they get. I don't want to be responsible for that.

**Note: I have never heard nor seen an original of either of these CD's. I don't know how the sound quality is on the originals, or how the inside artwork looks. Therefore I cannot make a comparison on the originals and the reissues I received. My review is ONLY on the products I received, NOT a comparison.**

Here's how my experience went:

Shipping?: Lightning Fast (ordered Friday...received Tuesday)

Silver Pressed Cd's?: No

Decent Artwork?: Yes. Well reproduced artwork. High quality paper.

CD Artwork?: No. A standard white CD cover (heatsealed). The only difference between the two was the band names, and CD title. Everything else was the same.

Inside Booklet?: *Friction, no. (just cover artwork on one side, band and label info, and thank you's on the back). Looks authentic and complete.

*Rock Boulevard, yes. Nice booklet with band and label info, song titles, lyrics, and thank you's. Looks authentic and complete.

Lyrics Included?: Friction, no. Rock Boulevard, yes.

Sound Quality?: Both sound excellent. Rock Boulevard takes the cake here though to be honest. VERY high quality sound. Friction sounds great too though. Just not as 'clean'.

That is all I can think of for now. Please feel free to ask questions.

Hope this helped.

M.

I wouldn't exactly call HOT METAL "nice packaged" since Panos uses the cheapest plant possible and all their CDs are milky-swirled on the playing surface, but I hear ya and know what you mean.

Perhaps I'm thinking of the REVENGE OF TRUE METAL series? Those are well packaged for sure with beautiful artwork and sturdy slipcases!

It's not really so expensive to make 1000 proper silverback CDs you know, but in Sam's line of work, given they are made to be sold on eBay one at a time only for the highest profit possible per CD, it's not really worth for him to make more than 100 anyway.... just a different business approach I guess *shrugs*

Sam's put them all up on the website now, at a SET price, hasn't he? Moot point....

Sam's put them all up on the website now, at a SET price, hasn't he? Moot point....

Well, I wouldn't say that the prices are THAT set...Friction started off at $49.99 & has recently dropped to $39.99...

Sam's put them all up on the website now, at a SET price, hasn't he?  Moot point....

Yep, he put them on the site, ...after exausting eBay. It takes so much for people to understand those come in qunatities and stop outbidding themselves you know. And do you see anyplace it says those are CD-Rs?

I can see a lot of "not-so-moot" points coming out of this. For instance: if one can manufacture the CD-Rs at home on his burner and print the white labels on his thermal inkjet, how the band will know how many copies has been manufactured and sold to get the proper royalties for?

Anyway, I'm not scolding at him - it is his business and his selling decisions. I just wanted to know if they are CD-Rs or not. Thanks to Malebolgia I know now.

Hey, if there are people ready to pay $19.99 and more for white-labeled CD-Rs and willing to keep the "product" once they see it, ...well, what can I say - more power to Sam!

Perhaps I'm thinking of the REVENGE OF TRUE METAL series?  Those are well packaged for sure with beautiful artwork and sturdy slipcases!

Yep. Those UV-coated slipcases are very impressive. The inserts are still single-page (or two-folds), but still acceptible package by all means. If they only were official... eh :)

Anyway, my point was that if someone wants to put good all-around package for the fans, it surely can be done!

Check out the Sentinel Steel releases for example, they are all very gorgeous state of the art products - glossy multi-page booklets, great custom licensed artwork, digitally remastered by credible sound engineers, fully licensed by the bands, etc. and yet they still cost $12 retail! That's what I call something done by fans FOR the fans! Everything else is just a joke

• 2021 HH Donation Drive

Please support Heavy Harmonies! The donations goal is the out-of-pocket expenses to run the main site and this board for calendar year 2021.

76% of donation goal reached.
    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
    • You brought the man out of me, so many times, easily. 
    • One of my all-time favorite Christian rock-ballads.
    • I don't mind at all. That was the only way I could make you say, "Oh God!" without it being blasphemy. 
    • For the record, I would totally check out a "Do you want to Bang your Librarian?" thread. Also, when I first glanced at this post, I thought it read, "Do you want to Bang your Libertarian?" and I immediately thought, "No way in hell does anybody here want to bang Leykis." 
    • Agree...that sounds better. Still potential here and Erik makes it listenable.    This first single could've been pretty good with a different structured chorus so hopefully other tunes are a bit better. Still not sure its going to be melodic/catchy enough for my tastes which is generally my problem with this  genre.
    • My apologies, cob, but didn't Cody say "the only thing Atheists all have in common is we do not subscribe to the myth of the deity, god or higher power, of any kind, this is it, then we are worm food, not all Atheists subscribe to the same meaning or philosophy, we don't all believe in the same science, or anything, I personally feel as though..." Sorry if I misread, but that doesn't really sound like a group that are fundamentalist in their certainty. In fact, none of that really sounded to me how you describe it.  What does intrigue me, though, is that you acknowledge that we are just a speck upon a speck upon a speck staring at a piece of dirt on the toenail of an elephant... yet religious folk believe that there's a god out there somewhere and his only concern is whether this speck upon a speck upon a speck staring at a piece of dirt on the toenail of an elephant follows the gospel or not? And not only this speck upon a speck upon a speck staring at a piece of dirt on the toenail of an elephant, but every single other speck upon a speck upon a speck staring at a piece of dirt on the toenail of an elephant that has ever existed? Of the entire universe throughout the entirety of time, all this god really cares about is whether each speck upon a speck upon a speck staring at a piece of dirt on the toenail of an elephant is following the gospel. Because if not, that speck upon a speck upon a speck staring at a piece of dirt on the toenail of an elephant is sure as heck going to hell. Sounds like the type of being I'd like to devote my single human life to.  Sorry dudes, like I say, I'm not an atheist (that I know of), and I'm sure as heck not a religious man. What do you call someone who is just honest enough to admit that I don't have a clue how we started, or why we are, or what will happen when we're dead? And I also believe that no one alive now, or whom has lived before us, has these answers either. Nor will they ever have them. No matter how steadfast someone is in their belief of whatever they believe, no one will ever be able to answer, with 100% certainty, those questions. 
    • And a small but important  update. Had an MRI scan two weeks back and just before I went in for a weeks chemo. The day I was discharged the doctor who discharged me gave me the results of the MRI scan and confirmed my feelings that the brain cancer had reduced in size, so everything it seems is going to plan.
    • I'd like to think so too, but I don't think it is. But I am always weary of what's being reported in Australian media. Are we just seeing everything from the hysterical, moronic and blown out of proportion version that the Aussie media feeds us? Or are there actually things happening outside of this country that are as hysterically panic driven as they are here? From the few other things I've heard, globally, it does seem that this variant has earned it's own little slice of worldwide panic, so I guess we'll see. This Panic First, Ask Questions Later mentality that the world has adopted is honestly an (even further) embarrassment to humanity. If I didn't have children I would confess that the time has certainly well and truly come for the human race to be nuked and made extinct. I ponder how much I hated humans in 2019. It took 40 years to build up that level of hatred. I am not even kidding to say that those 40 years of built up hatred has probably doubled, if not tripled or even quadrupled in the space of the two years since. What I think of what has become of the human race in the space of two years has no words left to describe it. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.