Metallica - St. (b)Anger (St. Anger re-recorded from the ground up!)

whiplash1972

There've been quite a few of these re-recordings done over the years, but this Michael Shea guy has fucking nailed it. I've always thought that there was a decent album in there somewhere... he found it. 

Jan 8, 2024

This is a bastardized re-recording of Metallica's album St. Anger. The songs are shorter, the production is better, and the snare drum is more tolerable. I took some creative liberties with the songs and did what I thought would benefit them. Everything has been re-recorded from the ground up, except for the vocals which were extracted from the original album.

0:00 Frantic

3:28 St. Anger

7:59 Some Kind Of Monster

13:01 Dirty Window

17:09 Invisible Kid

22:28 My World

26:46 Shoot Me Again

31:35 Sweet Amber

36:21 The Unnamed Feeling

42:02 Purify

46:31 All Within My Hands

Download the album here:

MP3: St. bAnger MP3 - Google Drive

FLAC: St. bAnger FLAC - Google Drive

• 3 weeks later...

idk guys, I think you can only polish a turd so much. It's definitely a great attempt and as whiplash1972 says, there have been a lot of such projects since, what, 2007ish?

But IMO St. Anger has never been a bad album only because of the snare drum, or the lack of guitar solos, or the long songs. It's a bad album because it's an album full of bad songs. Metallica is supposed to be badass! This is not that! Listen to Invisible Kid or Purify and tell me what's even a little cool about those songs. The whole thing is just so whiny and cringey, definitely a product of its era which was the worst for metal as a genre.

I'll concede that it's still one of their worst efforts--if not THE worst--but the abysmal production made it nearly impossible to enjoy the handful of decent tunes on the album. But yeah, even with this re-recording, there are only 4 songs that I bothered with. Maybe it's not "badass," as you say ... but it's better, and the 4 songs that I like are now listenable. (For the record, one of those songs is "Purify," which you clearly don't care for.)

Every band has a low point, but this "St. (b)Anger" project manages to salvage something from the wreckage. But I think we're all grateful that Metallica moved past this moment and gave us better albums.

On 3/5/2024 at 1:51 AM, metalmaniac777 said:

I'll concede that it's still one of their worst efforts--if not THE worst--but the abysmal production made it nearly impossible to enjoy the handful of decent tunes on the album. But yeah, even with this re-recording, there are only 4 songs that I bothered with. Maybe it's not "badass," as you say ... but it's better, and the 4 songs that I like are now listenable. (For the record, one of those songs is "Purify," which you clearly don't care for.)

Every band has a low point, but this "St. (b)Anger" project manages to salvage something from the wreckage. But I think we're all grateful that Metallica moved past this moment and gave us better albums.

I think the only thing they ever recorded that was worse than St Wank is that awful collaboration with Lou Reed.

2 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

I think the only thing they ever recorded that was worse than St Wank is that awful collaboration with Lou Reed.

That one was definitely worse. So bad that I tried to forget it exists. Thanks for reminding me. I have to go rinse the taste of vomit out of my mouth now.