Butch Walker

Leykis101

Has anyone else watched the new documentary about Butch Walker on the Audition channel? It's on Direct TV, I don't know if it's on all providers or not, but it's fucking awesome, he's fucking hilarious, I mean truly funny making fun of himself the entire hour, pics of him growing up and in Southgang, just a well done doc, check it out.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Geoff said:

Link or it didn't happen? Is it something I can view in Australia? 

I hope Foxtel or even a commercial station pick it up. Only problem if a commercial station it would chop to pieces with ads.

I didn't look for it, I did DVR it, did u look on YouTube? It's an Ernie ball(the guitar strings company) documentary, if u guys can't find it I'll see when I have some time if I can pull it off my satellite box

Here ya go.

6 hours ago, Leykis101 said:

Here ya go.

Awesome, thanks. An hour long is going to require some work, but I'm keen to see it. Thanks for that. 

Very interesting little piece was that. It's funny that where he thinks he "upped his game" is where all his fans here lost interest - around the time of 'Sycamore Meadows' and beyond. 

Hearing him do 'Don't Move' reminded me again how awesome that song and album is. 

Pretty crazy when you see exactly who he has written with/for and produced. No doubt that sets a dude up for life, and then several more lives if desired. 

Seeing that documentary, though, you know there is not even a glimmer of hope that he would ever go back to doing anything that we would ever enjoy again (though I did like a couple of songs off the last album). But hey, when you're that successful, I guess you do what you feel like doing and he's obviously just doing whatever he's drawn to at any given time and it's impossible to be critical of someone for doing that.

Seeing his explanation for 'Afraid Of Ghosts' makes me want to love that album. It may even make me revisit it.

Very grounded dude in a luxurious position of really being able to do whatever he wants, musically, with no obligation other than to record what he's passionate about. 

I'll be watching this.

Big fan of Butch, particularly M3 and solo stuff.
I find his music innovative and inspiring. I find that with his solo stuff he goes wherever the music leads ragrdless of genre etc, and if you are opent o that, the rewards are tehre.

Completely agree on the Ghosts album, I don't know what to expect from him, I just enjoy much of his music, so I'll always give it a chance, I'm a sucker

Watched this doco.
Thought it was ok, but only ok.
Kind of skipped over a lot of stuff quickly, like Marvelous 3. Made it sound like they only have one album.

Made me realise that there have been a few albums he's released which i have missed, so great to know about these and be able to check them out.

On 12/15/2019 at 6:46 AM, CureTheSane said:

Watched this doco.
Thought it was ok, but only ok.
Kind of skipped over a lot of stuff quickly, like Marvelous 3. Made it sound like they only have one album.

Made me realise that there have been a few albums he's released which i have missed, so great to know about these and be able to check them out.

Well bro, ya know I think this was more of a complete retrospective of his overall career, if you notice it doesn't really go into a whole lot of details or go massively in depth on any of his shit, it kind of just covers the basics, and gives a little bit of context to shit, then it moves on, I mean he spends a majority of the time playing songs, and it isn't just a brief sample, he does the entire songs, you gotta remember what this entire interview is about, and who produced and released it, its about his guitar tone using Ernie Ball strings, not really an in depth documentary covering his entire career in detail, to be honest it baffled me they even covered Southgang and M3, its really only for the most die hard of fan, of BW, I thought what he did cover was pretty interesting, why M3 broke up, simply to get out of their contract, I never knew that shit, how he was terrified to step up and sing his songs, when hes got one of the coolest voices In the business, so I guess it's what you are trying to take away from it, I personally thought it kind of got slow towards the end, but his sense of humor was killing me, like when he pulled his own album out of his collection and said, who the fuck is this guy, he fucking sucks, don't even know how this got in there, man I was rolling, most artists take themselves way to seriously, he clearly does not, that's why hes a pimp.

I mean I didn't want to turn it off.

Ironically I didn't get much out of it about strings and tone.

I was talking about some parts of it the next day to one of my kids, why he decided to concentrate on song writing, etc

And I played my Butch Walker folder at work the next day as well.

Probably one of those cases of reading about a movie before you see it and people build it up and you expect a lota nd are then let down.

I've been watching a few of the Behind the Vinyl youtube clips which I am really enjoying.

Not much hard rock there that interests me. Dee Snider is there.
RUN DMC was great for Walk This Way
Styx was fun for Babe