Ace Frehley

CureTheSane

Was listening top some early Kiss yesterday, and I found a new appreciation for Ace.

Many people bang on about him, and whilst I always enjoyed his work, I never saw anything too incredibly amazing in it.

But yesterday what grabbed me were not his solos, but all the other things he did along the song.
Don't know if this was music given to him to play, or if he created or improvised along the way.

So if he came up with all those little riffs and fills, then I probably finally get what others have always seen in him playing being exceptional.

If it was Paul or Gene, then kudos to them I guess, and Ace remains just a great guitarist.

But yesterday what grabbed me were not his solos,

Of not the solos. As Gene said before - Ace didn't really grow as a guitarist.

I have his Frehley's Comet (the 1st one) and I think I only enjoyed 3 songs off that album.

Grow how?

I see Gene as generally being insightful and intelligent, but most of the time when he talks about Peter and Ace he seems to warp the truth top suit his agenda (appeasing fans)

You could say that Eddie Van Halen was innovative but never grew I guess.

But yesterday what grabbed me were not his solos,

Of not the solos. As Gene said before - Ace didn't really grow as a guitarist.

I have his Frehley's Comet (the 1st one) and I think I only enjoyed 3 songs off that album.

Grow how?

I see Gene as generally being insightful and intelligent, but most of the time when he talks about Peter and Ace he seems to warp the truth top suit his agenda (appeasing fans)

You could say that Eddie Van Halen was innovative but never grew I guess.

Even EVH grew. He was amazing on the debut album but just listen to him play on 1984. One of the finest guitar works in history.