Loudness - Shadows Of War question

AlphaMale

Hey guys. I was just listening to Loudness today. I noticed that I had the CD "Shadows Of War" which I assumed was just "Lightning Strikes" with a different title for Japan. Little did I know that the songs actually are a different mix then on "Lightning Strikes". Besides Dokken's "Dysfunctional" having a different mix in Japan where it was self-titled, I never knew this could be occurring.

#1... did anyone know "Shadows Of War" is different than "Lightning Strikes"?

#2... why the hell did they do that?

$3... are there anymore releases out there that have a different mix on the Japan version??

Loudness has had a weird history with their releases for Japan and the rest of the world. Disillusion was their first album to be released in two versions (one with lyrics sung in Japanese for their homeland, and one with lyrics in English for the rest of the world).

Lightning Strikes aka Shadows of War (and also 1987's Hurricane Eyes, I believe) were released w/a slightly different mix in America... I'm not sure if an official reason was ever given but I would presume it was because their US record label felt that Japanese mixes weren't "slick" enough for American radio.

Loudness has had a weird history with their releases for Japan and the rest of the world. Disillusion was their first album to be released in two versions (one with lyrics sung in Japanese for their homeland, and one with lyrics in English for the rest of the world).

Lightning Strikes aka Shadows of War (and also 1987's Hurricane Eyes, I believe) were released w/a slightly different mix in America... I'm not sure if an official reason was ever given but I would presume it was because their US record label felt that Japanese mixes weren't "slick" enough for American radio.

Thanks for the info dude. I do hear subtle differences and it does sound a little rawer. Cool band.

I am trying to get into their latest release 2.0.1.2. I am having mixed results. It's pretty damn heavy at times. But it isn't close to their classic years sounds. I heard that Mike Vescera said recently that he wouldn't mind singing live for Loudness in the future with Nahara also singing on the tour dates. That would be cool. Says he speaks to Akira and their both interested in doing something. I'm kinda glad because I always thought the poor guy with thrown into a bad situation joining an all Japanese band. I loved Soldier Of Fortune though. I think it's my favorite Loudness disc. Thunder In The East is the other gem.

• My Little Pony

H.e.a.t's Freedom Rock and Dynazty's Knock You Down are two albums that I can think of with alternate Japanese mixes.

What? Really? I'd like to hear those.

I've only heard one track off the new Loudness (I think it was called "Break New Ground," but I'm too lazy to check), and it sounded OK, but nothing I'd pay fifty bucks for an import from Japan to hear again.

I've only heard bits and pieces of their "reunion" era (i.e. the 2000s) work but a lot of what I have heard sounds like Niihara's voice is pretty well shot. He was never a great singer, even in their heyday, but nowadays he sounds like an old guy having a tough time on the can, :rofl:

Yup DYNAZTY Knock You Down has totally 2 different versions and mixes on the Euro / Japan releases.

Ready for a bombshell? The self titled SPREAD EAGLE album on MCA Records has 2 different recordings and mixes....the problem? Theres no way to tell which one you have it is all random. I used to buy duplicates of tapes cheap and found this out by accident.

Theres 2 versions of the VARGA album Prototype as well with 2 different album covers and several songs have different mixes/versions.

• 3 years later...

I need to hear Hurricane Eyes Japan mix. I bet that sounds better than the US Version.

I have both 2009 SHM-CD releases, WPCL-10697 (English version) and WPCL-10698 (Japanese version).

The Japanese version definitely sounds better, musically, than the English version. Much brighter, crisper and cleaner.

So much so, I searched the internet for the reason why, which brought me here.

FWIW, the mix is not different. In other words, the English version is not a "Rough mix" or "Remix" or "Leathur" version i.e. some of Motley Crue's stuff with different instruments and/or tempo and/or effects.

Only the finished production (mastering) is different.

REALLY wish the English version sounded as crisp.