House Of Shakira - Pay To Play

Stefan

Hmm... I'm on the fence with this one. I loved "Lint" from these guys. They were really a cool different sounding band. Now... they just sound like every other band. It's not bad per se but I don't know. Something won't let me like this. :lol:

Hmm... I'm on the fence with this one. I loved "Lint" from these guys. They were really a cool different sounding band. Now... they just sound like every other band. It's not bad per se but I don't know. Something won't let me like this. :lol:

I'm with you on this. Lint was amazing (see my "Favorite CD" listing) -- everything after, meh.

My theory: Lint was the only album to feature material by Mikael Eriksson, to me the clear difference maker. He brought all of the cool African/Eastern elements to the table, giving that album its unique qualities. Ever since he's been divorced from the band they've just kinda trod the average, ho-hum Hard AOR waters. And I really liked Andreas Eklund's Tommy Shaw vocals, so it was sad to see him go. Also, the original drummer was killin', but he's gone now too.

But I'll definitely check this new album out. It might turn out to be great in its own way, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Only heard it once and it sounded pretty plain, average and by the numbers to me. Will listen further, but I was pretty bored with it on first spin.

• 2 weeks later...

Only heard it once and it sounded pretty plain, average and by the numbers to me. Will listen further, but I was pretty bored with it on first spin.

I listened to it a half dozen times. And I'll stick with my first statement. It's not bad but it's just so damn "safe". And beyond the title track, I really thought no other songs stood out. This band should just call it a day.