Anthrax - Anthems (New covers EP released)

whiplash1972

88-360x173.jpg

http://anthrax.com/news/

Anthems, Anthrax’s long-awaited, eight-track EP that pays tribute to the classic songs by some of Anthrax’s favorite bands from the 1970s, will be released in North America on March 19 (MRI/Megaforce), and on March 22 in Europe (Nuclear Blast). Anthems’s track listing features Rush’s “Anthem,” Thin Lizzy’s “Jailbreak,” “TNT” by AC/DC, Boston’s “Smokin’,” “Big Eyes” by Cheap Trick, Journey’s “Keep on Runnin,” as well as the album version and a special remix of Anthrax’s “Crawl” from the band’s critically-acclaimed 2011 album Worship Music.

Said the band’s vocalist Joey Belladonna, “These are all bands I grew up with and have listened to forever. It’s just great music. I had fun singing these songs and I was happy recording together with Anthrax, doing classic rock songs. Fun stuff!”

On Boston’s “Smokin’,” Anthrax brought in a special guest to play keyboards – Fred Mandel, who has played with Alice Cooper, Queen, Elton John, Cheap Trick, Supertramp and on Pink Floyd’s The Wall. About the track, drummer Charlie Benante said, “If ever there were a perfect first album, it’s Boston’s first album. The harmony leads they did would later be heard by Iron Maiden, which of course would lead to thrash metal.”

The EP will be available on CD as well as digitally via iTunes and other online retailers. In addition to Anthems’ cover art (attached), Benante and artist Stephen Thompson have subtly redesigned each track’s original album cover art to “Anthrax” it. The Anthems EP will first be housed in one of the “re-imagined” digipak covers, and then inserted inside the main CD cover sleeve. The main cover sleeve has been designed in such a way so fans will be able to see which one of the six “re-imagined” covers is inside.

Anthems was produced by Anthrax, Jay Ruston and Rob Caggiano, and recorded for the most part throughout 2012 literally all over the world: at Benante’s home studio, in Ruston’s New York studio, on the band’s tour bus while on last summer’s Mayhem Tour, in hotel rooms, and backstage at their Berlin show last December.

The Grammy-nominated Anthrax – Belladonna, Benate/drums, Scott Ian/guitar and Frank Bello/bass – will hit the road in support Anthems on February 16 with dates in India and Australia, and then return to North America to headline the Metal Alliance Tour that kicks off March 22. For all of these dates, Anthrax will be joined by Shadows Fall guitarist Jon Donais.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know a lot of folks have no use for covers albums, but I'm listening to this one as I type, and let me tell ya, they do a damn fine job with the majority of these tunes. LOVING their version of "Keep on Runnin'"! Actually, the only one I could do without is "Anthem", and it doesn't suck.

http://www.amazon.co...anthrax anthems

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't see the point of doing a covers album when they we're coming of their most successful album in 20 years and they finally had some momentum. Now Rob has left for Volbeat and it will probably take them 5 more years for another album.

I didn't see the point of doing a covers album when they we're coming of their most successful album in 20 years and they finally had some momentum. Now Rob has left for Volbeat and it will probably take them 5 more years for another album.

It wouldn't be Anthrax if they didn't find some way to f*ck themselves over just as things are starting to go in the right direction again.

Exactly. Doing a covers EP is hardly a bad move or going to fuck themselves over.

In fact, one of the key staples of Anthrax over the years has been their cover songs, with probably two of their biggest "hits" Anti-Social and Got the time being cover songs.

Plus in certain markets (like here in the UK) its not a separate release, Worship music has been re-released with this as a bonus disc. That to me is the silliest decision, and is obviously a record label rather than band decision. Especially if it misses out the bonus track, New noise, which was on the digi pack.

This is why I have imported the US version of the covers CD. No way I am re-buying an album I only bought last year and end up losing a track (even if it wasnt a great track).