Airless - Changes

Stefan

Wow, how good is 'Till the end of time?!'

Great to hear these guys are back. 'Fight' was a pretty big disappointment after the excellent 2nd disc. Based on the first sample, I'm hoping they've reverted back to the excellence of that disc and forgotten the averageness of 'Fight.'

I love these guys, big hooks and nice guitars, nice new songs there !

what's wrong with 'Fight' man ? That's a very good album, well lookin' forward to this newie next year

Can't remember any of the songs off it. It was just really average to me after the great previous disc. I don't think it was awful, but it was a disappointment, to me. :)

• 1 month later...

Nice melodic rock tune. Didn't hear Vaughn, but nice he's on something good again - been a while since the last From The Inside album. This should be a great disc.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sadly, this is another album ruined by poor sound quality. The production/mix is basically awful and really lets down an otherwise pretty good disc. There's a few more tunes kinda like the stuff on their excellent '2nd Round' CD, but the pissy mix and lack of any rhythm section just takes away and joy one might get out of this. Shame because songs like 'Dead Inside' and 'Till the end of time' are very good.

Airless have some of most outstanding guitar work in modern melodic rock imho, can't wait to check out the full album. Hope the production won't be a issue.

Oh yeah, I do need to add that the guitar work here is stunning at times. No doubt in the world this dude can play.

I'm really not sure about this one, mate. Like I said, these are definitely the best songs the band has recorded since '2nd Round.' It's a very similar vibe and a few songs are in very much the same style of that disc. But man the sound quality is a letdown. :(

I second the statement on how good is 'Till The End of Time', and together with the opening tune, 'Start Again', both managed to reach the perfection status for me. Four more 8.5 - 9 quality tracks that I found here are 'I Don't Care' [great piano start before exploding with a splendid melodies], 'Upstream' [heavy and superb solos!], 'Changes', and 'Reach For You' [check out the drumming on the verse, non-linear beat as if I'm listening to Dream Theater mid-paced track]. I can see that the production is a little weak but I don't think it's awful at all. If I need to give the mix a rate, I think a 7 will still be okay. The vocal sounds clear but the drums could be the problem, guitar is fine though.

Now, I don't see any weak tracks at all but 'Come Back Home' which has patchy verse but a fine chorus, sounds like a 7.5 track. 'Dead Inside' is actually awesome on chorus, and the verse has that dark Dokken-esque riffs but not really great IMHO. Other tracks like 'Rescue Me' or 'Gone Too Far' are slightly better. And for those who's familiar with Airless, of course the strong point is on the guitar. I can still feel the Vito Bratta style (oh and i missed this maestro, man he's retired way too soon!), some killer solos and great riffage. Vocally, there's a slight accent to his singing but his raspy timbre fits the style. Replay value is high for me, a fine melodic rock with a super special guitarworks. This is a strong buy folks!

85%

• 1 month later...

Sadly, this is another album ruined by poor sound quality. The production/mix is basically awful and really lets down an otherwise pretty good disc. There's a few more tunes kinda like the stuff on their excellent '2nd Round' CD, but the pissy mix and lack of any rhythm section just takes away and joy one might get out of this. Shame because songs like 'Dead Inside' and 'Till the end of time' are very good.

I couldn't agree more. It's part of the whole "louder is better" mentality among music producers. To them (and to Lars Ulrich), this sounds "smokin'".

• 10 months later...