NFL star Junior Seau dead at 43

whiplash1972

http://www.wbtv.com/...ni_Daw.facebook

Junior-Seau.jpg

NFL star Junior Seau dead at 43

(RNN) - Former all-pro linebacker Junior Seau is dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, according to media reports.

TMZ is reporting a coroner is on the scene.

The San Diego Union-Tribune reports that a call was made to police about a possible suicide at about 10 a.m. PT. A housekeeper found the football star.

"I am completely distraught over the death of my friend Junior Seau," tweeted TV producer Mike Fleiss. "He brought so much joy to everyone around him. RIP #55."

Seau, who was 43, leaves behind three children with his ex-wife, whom he divorced in 2002.

In 2010, Seau drove his car off a cliff after falling asleep. The accident happened the day after he was arrested on a domestic abuse charge.

New England Patriot wide receiver Chad Ochocinco tweeted: "My prayers and condolences to the family of one of the NFL's greatest linebackers to ever play the game ... Junior Seau ... R.I.P."

Seau played linebacker at the University of Southern California before entering the NFL draft after his junior year. He was selected by the San Diego Chargers in the first round of the 1990 draft.

After playing for the Chargers for 13 years, Seau was traded to the Miami Dolphins where he played for three years.

Seau retired in 2006, but when the New England Patriots called one day later, he signed with on with the team for the 2007 season. He played with the team through the 2009 season.

In his 20-year career with all three teams, Seau had 56.5 sacks and 18 interceptions.

The all-pro linebacker announced his retirement in January 2010.

Seau was elected to 12 consecutive Pro Bowl appearances.

The football star created the Junior Seau Foundation in 1992 to help prevent child abuse, educate children about drugs and alcohols, and create programs to prevent juvenile delinquency.

Wow, not good news and not a good sign because this seems to be happening a little more, perhaps related to the concussion issues that a lot of players are suing the NFL.

From the story I read, it has conflicting reports:

The ex-linebacker's girlfriend found the NFL legend with a fatal shotgun wound to the chest.

Reports indicate that a handgun was found by Seau's side.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/report-nfl-legend-junior-seau-dead-182120394.html