[REVIEW]: Nowhere Land (2006) by Slamer

STARFIRE

SLAMER

Nowhere Land (2006)

Frontiers Records

Produced by: Mike Slamer

For the Genre: ***** (5/5)

Compared to the Era: ***** (5/5)

In Valencia, California, legendary, British rock guitarist Mike Slamer and sure-fire Melodic Rock vocalist Terry Brock came together in 2006, and made musical magic. If you remember Jimi Jameson’s sound on the theme to NBC’s Baywatch and then mix it in with the remarkable guitar work of Dokken’s George Lynch, you come up with Slamer’s “Nowhere Land.” If I had to pick an order of tracks for this album, it would be: Higher Ground, Audio Illusion, Come To Me, Jaded, Strength to Carry On, Not in Love, Runaway, Perfect Circle and Beyond the Pale. I would have also had someone else master the disc because of the thin EQ and more importantly, some cut- off fade-outs on a couple of tracks, but these are exceedingly tiny blemishes on an, otherwise, totally perfect record. The music on this CD sounded so good, I was literally smiling the entire time I listened to this album.

Once again, Mattias Norén delivers on the fantastic album artwork but the awesome does not stop there. Brock and Slamer do an incredible job of bringing us absolutely golden vocal harmonies on tracks like Higher Ground and Audio Illusion, a song so good, it was the only one I heard that made me buy the entire album on CD. You will appreciate the track for its derision of auto-tuned, dance-pop divas. Meanwhile, Runaway is a slower, more affectionate song with a powerful presence—giving this track a great deal of dimension. Then, Come To Me is dark and ethereal, and about the spirit of a woman who has left this world visiting the lover she left behind. Jaded is an equally dramatic, energetic rocker with a deep and heavy groove and more of the trumpeting vocal chorus that is the hallmark of this great record. A terrific song about a place almost everyone finds himself or herself from time to time; whether they have lost the ability to be in love.

I literally said, “Oh my God!” when the third track on the CD, Not in Love, started. It kicks off with this crazy good, prog-rock like cluster of awesome guitar riffs and sweet drum combos. The guitar work on this CD is pretty remarkable all the way around, but no other track will make you appreciate it more. Honestly, “Not In Love” is so good, it will make you want to dance—especially at the end when Mike Hamer gets down on that drum sample, and jams until the fadeout. Beyond the Pale comes on like the soundtrack to a movie and gives us plenty of musical drama, so much so that I felt the album should have closed with this song.

What really sealed the deal for me on this CD was the song, “Perfect Circle” Like, “Not In Love,” it is a peppy, funky track that I played maybe three to five times a day for a week because I became addicted to this song because it truly touched me. I could personally relate to it, and you can really feel it as the chorus goes, “When all’s said and done, we’ll be one… Love forms a perfect circle.” It truly does.

Nowhere Land is an incredible blend of powerful, funky guitar work, with powerful, harmonic vocals, romance, emotion and energy that will leave you wanting more. This is one very special recording for which I feel very fortunate to own.

Great review :agree:

I remember reviewing it for Antenna, I'll see if I can find the file somewhere. :nerd:

Imo it's the best AOR album released this side of the millenium, absolutely amazing.

Too bad last years Terry Brock record couldn't live up to it.

I agree; I'm almost glad I discovered "Nowhere Land" AFTER Terry Brock's solo album came out because I would have been chomping at the bit to get it, and then heard Jessie's Gone, feeling a little let down. It's a solid tune and Brock--as usual--OWNS the vocal track, it's just didn't electrify me the way tracks like Audio Illusion or Perfect Circle did. I am just so in love with those tunes, it's unreal.

• 2 weeks later...

I like both albums, but I must admit that I prefer the 'Diamond Blue' CD from Terry Brock. I feel like such a pop-princess saying as such, but for me, I think if the songs had been kept down to the 4 minute mark it would have been a much better CD. It's very good, but just seems to drag a little. That said, 'All I believe in' is one of my favourite Steelhouse Lane songs... so I dunno, maybe my expecations were just too high after Steelhouse Lane?

When he gets it right, though, there's not much better, musically.