Iron Maiden Final Frontier Tour 2011

Nightrain

Iron Maiden performed for the very first time in Indonesia last night, and it's a fantastic show. The highlight of their show is of course the energy, looks like they never aging, and to see Bruce keep jumping and leaping from the left stage to the right without losing the consistency of his strong voice, and to keep communicating with the audience, is simply awesome. Steve Harris also very active, running around the stage with his bass, Janick Gers is also fun to watch, he kept performing some girly dance lol, acrobatic guitar move, and nice solos. Basically, the whole show is superb, but from the setlist, since they're performing a lot from their new album, many people here aren't that familiar, and I think the first two tracks of the album are among their weakest, shame classic like Hills, Wasted Years, or Madness aren't there.

Here are some pics of the event :

IronMaiden.jpg

IronMaiden2.jpg

IronMaiden4.jpg

Trooper.jpg

Iron Maiden

17 Feb 2011 @ Pantai Karnaval Ancol, Jakarta, Indonesia

setlist :

01. Satellite 15... The Final Frontier (TFF 1)

02. El Dorado (TFF 2)

03. 2 Minutes To Midnight (Powerslave 2)

04. The Talisman (TFF 8)

05. Coming Home (TFF 4)

06. Dance Of Death (Dance 5)

07. The Trooper (Piece 5)

08. The Wicker Man (Brave 1)

09. Blood Brothers (Brave 4)

10. When The Wild Wind Blows (TFF 10)

11. The Evil That Men Do (Seventh 4)

12. Fear Of The Dark (Fear 12)

13. Iron Maiden (Iron 9)

encore:

14. The Number Of The Beast (Number 5)

15. Hallowed Be Thy Name (Number 8)

16. Running Free (Iron 3)

they're heading out to Australia next week, who's going ? :)

Sounds like you had a great time mate, the pics are really good.

Interesting setlist, agreed on the first two tracks of The Final Frontier being the weakest, would like to have seen a few other new songs.

This is one of the things that annoys me with Maiden, while its understandable that they will wanna play stuff from the latest album, and with a back catalogue the size of theirs its hard to play everything, but they actually turn round and said in recent years that they dont want to play the classics as that doesnt interest them.

Maybe they should think more of what would interest the fans instead of themselves.

If thats the sort of tracklist they are playing these days, I am glad I stopped seeing them a few years ago.

My biggest complaint last time I saw them was that the classics were missing as they played nearly the entire Brave new world album instead.

I'm sure they still captivate the crowds and diehards will still go, but if a band doesnt play its most popular songs live, its not a band I want to see.

This is one of the things that annoys me with Maiden, while its understandable that they will wanna play stuff from the latest album, and with a back catalogue the size of theirs its hard to play everything, but they actually turn round and said in recent years that they dont want to play the classics as that doesnt interest them.

The thing is, Maiden have always been very stubborn that way. Fans seem to think this is a fairly recent development (i.e. pimping the new album at the expense of the classics) but that's how they've operated for years. When I saw'em on the BRAVE NEW WORLD tour in 2000, the set list was BNW-heavy. (Didn't bother me any though, cuz it was my first time seeing them and I was simply glad to BE there.) When I saw'em again in 2006 they were doing the A MATTER OF LIFE & DEATH album in its entirety. Weird, but kinda cool in a way. Friends of mine who've seen them on past tours (VIRTUAL XI, NO PRAYER FOR THE DYING, even going back as far as SEVENTH SON) have reported "Yeah, they did like half of the new album at least."

They do occasionally go and do a "greatest hits" tour (one of which I saw in 2008 and it was f*ckin AWESOME, I can die happy now that I've finally seen them do "Run To The Hills" live) when they're not pushing a new record.

Well, I don't like very much their last works from "Dance Of Death" onwards...but I think you're being harsh with a band that the last two years was on a worldwide tour playing ONLY their classics.

I think a band with a great catalog of songs like them must be balanced when touring. They shall not base their shows only in classics like Alice Cooper or KISS do (playing few songs from the new albums and omitting part of their career)or play the entire new album leaving out the classics. I think Maiden setlist is perhaps short but quite well balanced. 4 songs from "The Final Frontier" and the rest trying to span their career. OK, some songs were left out, but is a good setlist.

Sounds like you had a great time mate, the pics are really good.

Interesting setlist, agreed on the first two tracks of The Final Frontier being the weakest, would like to have seen a few other new songs.

yes Faron, it's a fantastic show, if only couple of more hits are there, then the concert will be totally perfect, but overall, i don't see myself complaining much about it :)

Maybe they should think more of what would interest the fans instead of themselves.

If thats the sort of tracklist they are playing these days, I am glad I stopped seeing them a few years ago.

My biggest complaint last time I saw them was that the classics were missing as they played nearly the entire Brave new world album instead.

I'm sure they still captivate the crowds and diehards will still go, but if a band doesnt play its most popular songs live, its not a band I want to see.

after all, it's Final Frontier world tour so I understand if they want to promote the tracks from their latest album. Shame that the first two tracks are the weakest and they put it as the gig opener, I can see myself happier to listen to "The Alchemist" or "Starblind".

They did the greatest hits tour in Somewhere back in time but unlucky for us here, they didn't visit at that time. Honestly, all of us here are expecting they're playing a 100%-classic hits, but since Indonesia is rarely visited by giant bands like this, it's a pleasant treat for us :)

I went to see them just after they released Brave new world, and they did the same thing then by overloading the set with songs from an album that had only been out a month or so.

Really felt let down by the amount of classics that didnt make the set.

Between that and their comments that they dont want to play that many songs prior to their reunion has made me not want to see them anymore. In fact, I far preferred the gig I saw them with when Blaze was singing as that was full of older songs.

When I saw Bon Jovi recently, they managed to perform so many of their biggest hits, a few from The Circle and even throw in a couple of unusual ones from their back catalogue.

Jovi are not the only band who can do this as well, as bands like AC/DC can manage it as well, and their back catalogue is even bigger.

When Bruce first returned to the band they did a big Greatest Hits tour promoting the Ed Hunter game and then the next year they did the Brave New World thing. They again did the Greatest Hits thing to promote the Eary Days DVD and then did it again just before Dance of Death was released on Give Em Ed tour(I saw that one) that only had one BNW tune and one song from the upcoming DOD disc. On the last big trip around the world that the last DVD came from where they introduced ED Force One they also did a mostly greatest hits set. In the last 11 years they have done multiple Greatest Hits only type tours mixed in between the new album promotion tours. I do realize that they don't hit every town and every country but I for one think it's cool that this band isn't scared to play new songs mixed in with the old tracks plus with the internet it's pretty well known up front what you're gonna get before you go to the show from sites like Blabbermouth showing the set lists. It's also cool that this band would go to places like Indonesia and all of the other smaller countries that most of the big bands would never go to so I give Maiden all kinds of credit for going way above and beyond for their fans.