Delayed Singles

Geoff

Just thought I'd ask you old-timers (;)) if this is something that's always happened, or if it's a rare occurance?

I can only reference modern rock bands because that's my only experience with it... but I now have two examples that baffle me. Hinder's 'Extreme Behaviour' CD was released in 2005 and was on the shelves for well over a year before the 'Lips of an angel' single ever took off in 2006/2007. Having bought it when it was released I was stunned when well over a year later I heard 'Lips of an angel' on the radio. Which, at the time, was my favourite song off the CD too, for the record. :) Then, afterwards, they had about 4 more successful singles and the album sold millions, almost two years after it was released? What is it that causes the delay in someone in charge of the charts noticing an album?

Second reference is even wilder and sees me driving along with the wife recently and wtf, I know this song pops up on the radio. And it's a track called 'Check yes Juliet' from a band called We The Kings. I didn't think anything of it and blindly assumed it was from their 2010 release, which would be a little delay but understandable with small delays some music takes to get to Australian charts. Anyway, it slowly clicks and this song is actually from their 2007 debut (great disc, btw)! So 4 years later the single finally "makes it." WTF is going on there; how is a song that was released 4 years ago just finding it's way to radio now? And in place of something from their new album? I am baffled. I was just listening to the CD this morning too, and there are at least 5 more songs off this thing that could be huge hits now, if the first one succeeds. So what happens then? They drain the debut of all it's singles and then start on the 2010 release in 2012, for example, by which time they already have a new CD out? Craziness!

Who can explain this to me please. :)

Any other examples?

i once heard of a song that was a hit 4 years before it was recorded.

Do you own a hot tub time machine too?

Ah, but Hinder album wasnt released til the tail end of 2005, and the first single (Get stoned) was released in 2005 as well.

Granted, it then took nearly a year to release Lips of an angel as a single, but that was probably because Get stoned wasnt the huge success that the record label had wanted.

This is a bit different, but I remember in the 80s in the UK, after the success of Alone by Heart, which was then followed by a couple of singles that barely scratched the top 40, the record label went backwards and released or re-released 3 singles from the album prior to Bad Animals. Two of the songs were huge hits, and one barely scratched the top 40 again.

Ah, but Hinder album wasnt released til the tail end of 2005, and the first single (Get stoned) was released in 2005 as well.

Granted, it then took nearly a year to release Lips of an angel as a single, but that was probably because Get stoned wasnt the huge success that the record label had wanted.

This is a bit different, but I remember in the 80s in the UK, after the success of Alone by Heart, which was then followed by a couple of singles that barely scratched the top 40, the record label went backwards and released or re-released 3 singles from the album prior to Bad Animals. Two of the songs were huge hits, and one barely scratched the top 40 again.

Interesting. That is an odd one, what they did with Heart.

As for Hinder, that's also interesting. It should also be noted for this thread that I'm obviously talking from an Australian perspective... but 'Get stoned' was actually released here long after the success of 'Lips of an angel.' I'm guessing because it didn't do well overseas originally it was never released here as the first single, but once 'Lips of an angel' had success they decided to try it and it worked. :)

If Wikipedia is to be believed, Get stoned only reached #104 on the US singles charts, with the UK being the only other country it charted (at a lowly #138), so you can see why they probably didnt rush with the second single.

Funnily enough though, with Lips of an angel, it only reached #3 in the US, but #1 in Aus, NZ and Canada. Also kind of weird is that Get stoned is the only song to chart here in the UK, meaning everything else has either sold next to nothing or wasnt even released here.

Going on the details for other singles worldwide, they have just not had any success with anything other than Lips of an angel.

Seems they are another album band.

White Lion "Wait" & Sheriff "When I'm With You" are 2 that spring to mind....

The Sheriff one was a hit some 4 years after the album came out....if it wasn't for that DJ who gave it new life, there'd be no Alias.

Actually it was more like 7 years as the album was 1982 and the single was 1989, 4 years after the band split (which may explain why you thought it was 4 years after the album).

That said, the single had been a hit in their home country back in 1983 (and scratched the US top 70), so maybe it was just a case of them not gaining any real recognition outside of Canada.

White Lion "Wait" & Sheriff "When I'm With You" are 2 that spring to mind....

The Sheriff one was a hit some 4 years after the album came out....if it wasn't for that DJ who gave it new life, there'd be no Alias.

Actually it was more like 7 years as the album was 1982 and the single was 1989, 4 years after the band split (which may explain why you thought it was 4 years after the album).

That said, the single had been a hit in their home country back in 1983 (and scratched the US top 70), so maybe it was just a case of them not gaining any real recognition outside of Canada.

Yep correct, thought it was 84-88, but it was 82-89 as you mentioned.

If Wikipedia is to be believed, Get stoned only reached #104 on the US singles charts, with the UK being the only other country it charted (at a lowly #138), so you can see why they probably didnt rush with the second single.

Funnily enough though, with Lips of an angel, it only reached #3 in the US, but #1 in Aus, NZ and Canada. Also kind of weird is that Get stoned is the only song to chart here in the UK, meaning everything else has either sold next to nothing or wasnt even released here.

Going on the details for other singles worldwide, they have just not had any success with anything other than Lips of an angel.

Seems they are another album band.

Yeah, I've mentioned a couple of times my amazement at how huge 'Lips of an angel' was here - as you can see, it made it to #1, but after that they failed to even get one single from 'Take it to the limit' on radio over here. :(

I do remember hearing 'Get Stoned' and 'Homecoming Queen' on radio quite a few times, and 'Better than me' ended up being almost as big as 'Lips of an angel.' Based on Wikipedia, made it to 11 on the charts here. So they had major success with the disc, then album number two is released at the prime of their success, while singles from the debut are still on the radio (!), and... nothing. Not a peep out of them on the radio here.

Its often been that way with rock bands over here as well, especially if the track that they explode with is a ballad.

Take a band like Mr. Big. They went straight to #1 with To be with you. Then Just take my heart hit #26. Followed by no top 40 hits ever again.

I do think that bands that get their first really big hit with a rocker, tend to last longer.

Ok, its not always the case, but it does seem to look that way with most rock bands.

I think the problem is that the ballads sell to everyone, then they go buy the album and cant handle what they classify as being too heavy.

To people like us Mr Big and Hinder really are not that heavy, but to pop princesses and their mothers, they might as well be Slayer or Anthrax.