Amber Pacific - 'Virtues'

Geoff

www.myspace.com/amberpacific

I can't access that myspace page at work, but please check out some of the songs off their new CD. I've enjoyed these guys from the start and I think there are some fantastic songs on their debut, 'The possibility and the promise' back in 2005, but I always held back from creating a thread for them due to the understandably hard vocals to swallow. The original guy did have a very "punk" kind of voice and the drummer can get excitable at times too. Still, I personally think there are more than enough songs on that CD to make it worthwhile, but never made much of it.

Their second one, 'Truth in sincerity' was kind of a letdown to be honest, but in 2010 they have returned with a new vocalist and a slightly new sound, and I think it's time for people to take notice. :)

The new CD is easily their most melodic / commercial yet and the new vocalist is SO much better. He actually has a pretty good voice. There are still 1 or 2 punky kind of songs here, but for the most part it's just great modern melodic / commercial hard rock. I really dig this one and in a year where modern rock has failed to deliver really excellent CDs, this should comfortably find itself in my top 10. If it's on their myspace page, be sure to check out 'Something to be Said'... one of the most melodic tunes I've heard this year.

I recall you mentioning this band in the past but still haven't picked up anything from them. Just had a listen to some of their new tunes. Excellent stuff. I really must pick up their latest album at least.

I recall you mentioning this band in the past but still haven't picked up anything from them. Just had a listen to some of their new tunes. Excellent stuff. I really must pick up their latest album at least.

Yeah, I think you'd enjoy the new one. I'd recommend any new listener to start out with this new CD before the last two. To be honest, I think you can get the last two for pocket change anyway. If you can cope with the original vocals, there some really, really excellent hooky choruses on their debut too. A few punky verses to get through, though...

This isn't the same as that fav band of yours Pacific Avenue is it?

I did a search to see if I'd made a thread for these guys and that one came up. No, totally different band. These guys actually have a very cool, heavy drum sound. Sometimes the guy gets carried away with some super-fast punk-like stuff, but generally he sounds like a pretty awesome drummer.

I always wanted Amber Pacific to be good too, because I always liked the band name. :)

LOVE this album Geoff!!! Definitely one of the better Modern Hard Rock cd's out this year!!!

• 5 months later...

I picked up tons of modern rock albums recently. Included among them is three albums by these guys. I haven't got them yet but from what I've heard I'm really looking forward to their latest album.

I picked up tons of modern rock albums recently. Included among them is three albums by these guys. I haven't got them yet but from what I've heard I'm really looking forward to their latest album.

Yeah, they're a good band, mate. The 2nd album's pretty unspectacular, but the first one (despite hard to swallow vocals at times) and the last one are excellent.

Pretty good disc this one is.

Several fave tunes here "An Anthem", "The Girl", "Three Words", "Shine", and "Something To Be Said". The rest are also quite good, but there's a tendency to start sounding samey to one another. Several too-punky sounds such as "What Matters Most" and "We Can't Fake This", but overall quite a pleasant disc to enjoy.

8.5/10 after the kickstart, might grow higher later